Subject: Does withdrawing from battle equal lost battle? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kasper S
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mb
Hannibal and Marcellus fought it out and Hannibal opted to withdraw due to lousy hand. He succeeded, losing 2 cu from attrition but none from retreat due to successful withdrawal.

Question: Does withdrawing in the middle of a fight qualify as a lost battle?

Rule 16.2 A Successful Withdrawal: A successful withdrawal ends the battle and forces the withdrawing player to move his Army to an adjacent space.

It doesn't say that the battle is considered lost.

Nor does rule 14.10: How to Win a Battle: The attacker wins if the defender cannot or will not match his battle card.

No mentioning of one part running from the battle, while the other stays, which in my old school days qualified as a win...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What do you mean by "qualify as a lost battle"? Qualify for what purpose?

The person who withdraws does not have to roll on the retreat table; that's the main point of withdrawing.

The person who withdraws does not suffer Political Consequences.

I think those are the only rules that are affected by whether someone loses a battle. Are these what you are asking about, or is there some other reason it matters whether it "qualifies as a lost battle"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper S
Denmark
Copenhagen
flag msg tools
mb
It was the loss of pc's I refered to. If Hannibal loses 2 cu in the battle and then withdraws successfully, would the withdrawal be counted as a lost battle and hence the removal of 1 pc or not.

If you are right the battle has no political consequences if a withdrawal succeeds, and that's what I was looking for

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B. Firer
United States
Glendale
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A withdrawal from the battle is not considered a loss for either side. I believe it is so stated in the rules but sorry I don't have the rules cite handy.

JBF
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.