Subject: WWII Normandy CounterAttacks rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools

I have played three scenarios since I got my update kit. WWII Normandy, scenario number 1. It is really tough with all those green leaders. So I lost the first attempt on mission 1. I had 1 Enemy HQ event and it was nothing as there were no units that met the criteria. I did the second attempt on the mission and yikes, I had two enemy HQ Events and they both were counterattacks. OK, lost that attempt and back to basic training I go.

I setup and do Mission 1 first attempt and I get two Enemy HQ Events and again, both are counterattacks. I lose again. Cripes, this is starting to make me wonder. I know I can play it however I want, but what do you all think about the counterattacks? I was thinking that since they are in effect for three turns as far as the Enemy Activity goes, that you can't have two going on at the same time. In other words, the full three turns would need to expire before a second counterattack could occur. Or as someone else brought up, make all of the PCs that activate check on the A table for counterattacks. Both counterattacks this mission attempt produced 88 and units in a bunker. Not a whole lot of reason to play it out on the second attempt as losing means you start all over again anyway, so there is no experience to be gained from two losses in a row.

It does say a lot about the game as I want to keep trying.

John
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
Würzburg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
That sounds like a lot of bad luck. I had one counterattack on my very first attempt of playing mission 1 and it basically broke my neck, as I lost an entire platoon to a mortar spotter. But then again a counterattack is basically the worst thing that can happen in this game, and should be brutal. I don't know how many HQ icons are on these cards, but getting two HQ events and both counterattacks probably has a rate of close to 0%. In case I get another counterattack during one, I would probably implement it fully (e.g. second wave incoming...gulp).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was chaos around Normandy and if your company came across a regrouped enemy or newly arrived force then withdraw or fight on..

Think of Arnham , dropping in on resting regrouped panzer and panzer grenadiers battalions forming the 9th and 10 SS divisions along with another 7 battalions of mixed infantry forces. They could only fight or surrender.

If you survive you can have words with intelligence later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Starman54 wrote:
It was chaos around Normandy and if your company came across a regrouped enemy or newly arrived force then withdraw or fight on..

Think of Arnham , dropping in on resting regrouped panzer and panzer grenadiers battalions forming the 9th and 10 SS divisions along with another 7 battalions of mixed infantry forces. They could only fight or surrender.

If you survive you can have words with intelligence later.

That is a great way to describe it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.