Subject: [Poll] Are the Promos Worth It rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
GeJayGe
United States
Windsor Hills
California
flag msg tools
The Idealist Counselor - Introverted Intuitive Feeling Judging (INFJ)
badge
Don't hate the game, hate the player.
mbmbmbmbmb
Are the promos worth the price for you?

I know this is totally subjective, but is a price tag of $40 worth having all the promos for you individually?

Poll
Is buying the promos worth it for you?
Yes
No
Only some (explain below)
      175 answers
Poll created by Gejayge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Poll} Are the Promos Worth It
Not even remotely. You won't miss them. buy a whole game instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Perello
Canada
Salmo
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Want DnDeeples? I'm on Esty as MagnificentMeeples.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [Poll} Are the Promos Worth It
I have the collector's edition, so I already have most of the extras, but I did buy the extra 2 and 50 metal coins just to have a complete set.

Are the promos "worth" it? Depends on how big a fan you are. The retail version of the game is perfectly playable as it is, but if you love the game buying more for it just makes it better. How much better? That is entirely subjective...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Gerig
United States
Upland
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
Not even remotely. You won't miss them. buy a whole game instead.

I wanted to keep spending some money on my gaming hobby, but already feel like I don't get the games I own to the table often enough. So instead I put money into making some of those games nicer, and it makes us more likely to play them. I see no problem with that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
If our really really like the game then I say yes. I love it and even went in on the new blue coins. Personally, I’m one who likes accessorizing and the bonus stuff for this game is great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Brown
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Speaking as one who has (and will) collect all of them, because I’m a completionist snob, I voted only some. I think the extra factory cards are a must; 12 factory cards to 18 is a huge jump in variety each game, and easily worth the $5. I also think that the objectives might be worth it, but they don’t make as a big of a difference. As far as the encounters go, they’re nice to have, the additional art is cool, but they don’t add nearly the variety (I’m not 100% sure, but I think one of the promos actually has a completely identical choice set as a base game encounter). Though if you get ALL of the encounter promos, you are looking at like a 33% increase, so...

Edit: additionally, a lot of people say ‘you should just spend that money on a new game,’ and this might be valid logic for some. But for as often as I get to play with others, I’d rather own fewer games I enjoy more decked out for a richer experience than just more games. And if you were going to get all the bells and whistles for a game, you could do far worse than Scythe; all the add-ons contribute to the beauty of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Strand
Canada
Langley
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather spend the money on getting the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Angevine
Canada
AB
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I said no for cards, promos events, etc. I have the KS edition and I don't think you'd miss them ever.

The extra combat spinners are useless really and the least worth it.
I have the metal coins and they are great and make a different feel to the game

Actually I agree completely on factory cards - always need variety for it being so covered and a trip there every game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Taranto
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards, eh. The components, yes. I think the coins and dials are fantastic embellishments. There are already enough encounters and objectives imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where are you finding it for $40? Amazon has it for $55, and meeplesource has it for $170

(all three prices seem high to me)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King Maple
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Board game promos are a luxury item in a luxury hobby. But if you want 'more', they are an option.

If you ask me if they are worth it, I'll say yes, because I have the 'collectors' nature in it. If I like a game, I want the promos and the expansions. When I play, they rarely impact game experience itself though and usually if they do impact, it's 'more of the same'.

But if they are worth it to you, I cannot say. It depends on your own priorities and expendable income
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Monsen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ah, meeplesource has the kickstarter card add ons for $5 each .. that seems reasonable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Persson
Denmark
flag msg tools
I thought the new Factory cards had some cool choices, so I bought those. They were also fairly cheap. The rest don't really seem worth it to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compton
United States
Rochester Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the base game and have since tracked down most promo cards and later added the metal coins, all are welcomed editions to the game. Since only 2 people can engage in combat at any given time, I thought buying more combat dials wasn't worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike George
United States
Smithville
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
YES!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal
Germany
Frankenberg
Hessen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fjaellraeven wrote:
Hej,

as the others mentioned I would highly recommend the Invaders expansion since the two factions are more combat based and add variety to the game. The same goes for the promo cards and you are able to get almost all of them from morning in one pack (https://morning.us/products/promo-cards-scythe) and not divided up into 4 little packs to squeeze some more bucks out of your pocket. This pack costs only 5 $/€ (postage included) and is just a great pickup and the go to one with Invaders from Arfar.

The power dials aren´t even nice to have in my opinion since they are just useless. In a combat there are always two factions fighting each other and therefor you will never need a third or foth power dial- it´s just as simple as that.

The ressources and the coins are nice to have, but I would just go for the cards and Invaders first. If you dislike the the wooden ressources of the base game then you are still able to upgrade them and if you dont bother playing with the base components (which are perfectly fine for me) you save yourself the money for the next two expansions.

It´s always a question if you are a collector and do want the stuff because it´s out there or if you are only interested in the gameplay and having fun. The gain of immersion might be there (you use the coins almost every turn and they add haptic attraction just like the ressources are visible the whole game and might be nice to look at) but for me it´s not worth the 50+€ for the upgraded ressources/coins(which is the price of 2 expansions as already mentioned or a new game). I haven´t seen the wooden encounter tokens yet, but I don´t have problems locating the normal encounters on the map aswell.

The map expansion is nice to have, but consider first if you have the space for it since a normal game session with 4+ players takes quite some space. If you do have a big table then go for it since it´s not that expensive.

Just quouting myself. Posted this half a year ago and there is no better way to get a hold of the promo cards. These are all the promo cards that were available through the kickstarter campaign and they add quite a bit of variety to the base game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Dominguez
United States
Norwalk
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
flaquito wrote:
I wanted to keep spending some money on my gaming hobby, but already feel like I don't get the games I own to the table often enough. So instead I put money into making some of those games nicer, and it makes us more likely to play them. I see no problem with that.

This pretty perfectly sums up my opinion.

I guess it all depends on how much you like the game. I like it quite a bit, and want to accessorize it further and add as much additional content as possible. That said, I chose "only some".

I think adding additional content is always good. I'd rather have content than "bling" any day. But like I said, this is a game that I really like and want to sort of "bling" (to some extent anyway). I think the board extension is awesome and really compliments the epic nature of the game.

After playing someone else's copy with metal coins, I was hooked. The extra tactile factor of these is great (in my opinion), but I don't feel that the newer blue and red coins are necessary. I don't have my metal coins yet (they're the next thing I'm getting), but'll probably pick up the Albion and Togawa coins also to have all the factions represented, and to have more metal to play with.

I picked up the extra dials, and although I realize they're not really necessary, I like the idea of everyone getting their own themed items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Neumann
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
'Thematic?'
badge
"Ugh", Hail sighs. "Dispatch these simpletons quickly. I am already bored with them."
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I picked up the extra dials, and although I realize they're not really necessary, I like the idea of everyone getting their own themed items.

I guess that Jamey and Meeplesource like that idea, too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.