Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
1. How much time would be good to allocate per mission?
one week
two weeks
one month
other (describe in comments)
2. What expansions do you have access to?
Move Out
Purple Heart
Silver Star
Traffic Control
      14 answers
Poll created by pelni
Want to see if there is any interest in playing a campaign together, on this forum. I imagine there being one thread with a first post that lists some rules and a range of dates for discussing each mission. No discussion on a mission before the given date (to avoid spoilers). Also no discussion after a given date, to not confuse discussions happening later about later missions.

Poll for those interested in participating. If you are not interested I am not so interested in your answers.

My initial idea is to just do one thread for the base game scenarios, and leave it to new future threads to cover the expansions if some want to keep playing. But including the question about expansions anyway. Also if the majority would prefer to aim for the full campaign in one go we can try that instead.

Comments?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems pretty much what people do regularly, isn't it? Play a mission/scenario, and then post about it? But I guess this is OFFICIALLY playing it together rather than rehashing it with someone who's played it before.

If I see a lot of action in a forum for a game I have, I tend to pull it out anyway and relook at it, at least.

I've been carrying this around with me for a few weeks with intent to play it. I just need to get it played. This might help me play it. I bought Move Out and Purple Heart decades ago with intent to play it as a campaign, and never did. I'd be willing to try.

What happens if/when your soldiers are killed?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
This seems pretty much what people do regularly, isn't it? Play a mission/scenario, and then post about it? But I guess this is OFFICIALLY playing it together rather than rehashing it with someone who's played it before.

Yes! I love to see AARs here and they always make me tempted to play, but I think with multiple players sticking to a schedule and sharing experiences regularly it will be much more fun and easier to keep going.

Quote:
What happens if/when your soldiers are killed?

There are rules for replacing soldiers. But when the entire squad is wiped out in a mission and no one returns... My usual way of playing is to start over the campaign, but that would not work for trying to stay in sync. So I would be prepared to ignore that house-rule and just roll up 8 new soldiers to keep going. I can always wait and try to make a complete play-through when I have retired.

One interesting option I left out was the possibility of running missions in chronological order. But that really only works if playing all expansions, and has the downside that you start with the very difficult Silver Star missions in 1943.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters. --Arnold J. Rimmer--
mbmbmbmbmb
I KNOW what you do with killed soldiers. I was just wondering how it might work in playing a campaign together.

Maybe two weeks per mission might be better, but on the other hand, that might just be me trying to talk myself out of focused play...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
One interesting option I left out was the possibility of running missions in chronological order. But that really only works if playing all expansions, and has the downside that you start with the very difficult Silver Star missions in 1943.

Don't they play in Scenario order? I hadn't realized there was a difference.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
pelni wrote:

Don't they play in Scenario order? I hadn't realized there was a difference.

Missions are in no chronological order at all, D-Day drop is number 4, after three missions in France and Belgium later in 1944, and the earliest missions (Italy 1943) are in the last expansion.

But chronological order makes it much more difficult, so that would be a problem for new players (that might also not have all the expansions yet), and it would be more fun if we could have a mix of first-time and old players. That is why I think plain scenario-order base game is a good start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
I KNOW what you do with killed soldiers. I was just wondering how it might work in playing a campaign together.

It is not important to me with what others do with their dead soldiers. Or other house rules or variants. There are a few official optional rules (like re-rolling for weapons points for each mission, and Germans firing at walls to hit someone inside) given in expansions, but I think everyone can make their own decisions. It is no contest. It is very difficult to play without forgetting some rules now and then anyway, and probably looking up the wrong paragraph or forgetting some errata will happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Found the spreadsheet with all the mission s. I uploaded it to bgg 10 years ago: Ambush! Scenario List

You can sort it by the date column to see missions in chronological order instead of the default by number.

Not sure if 19 missing was a typo by me or if there is a gap? (Is that where Traffic Control goes?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
Found the spreadsheet with all the mission s. I uploaded it to bgg 10 years ago: Ambush! Scenario List

You can sort it by the date column to see missions in chronological order instead of the default by number.

Not sure if 19 missing was a typo by me or if there is a gap? (Is that where Traffic Control goes?)

Not sure. I don't have them all. I've been tempted to purchase one of those disks you can get on ebay, that have all the expansions, etc., just so I can make them and play them. But as I STILL haven't gotten through all 6 original missions, much less gotten to Move Out or Purple Heart, thats in the future.

But doing this with someone else would at least give me incentive to play/finish them, instead of just talking about it... and then going and starting up my Xbox.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i dont know. I kind of like the idea of playing them in chronological order - especially if we're playing a campaign with the same "Band of Brothers." But, yeah, that would start us with Silver Star, which *I* don't have, yet. And harder missions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Silver Star would exclude too many of the already few that has responded. I think it makes sense to do them in number order and start with only the base game (with a possible sequel campaign later).

Planning on setting a date for completing mission 1, start a new thread, and see what happens. Already rolled up a new squad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
[This space intentionally left blank]
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:
I think Silver Star would exclude too many of the already few that has responded. I think it makes sense to do them in number order and start with only the base game (with a possible sequel campaign later).

Planning on setting a date for completing mission 1, start a new thread, and see what happens. Already rolled up a new squad.
On one hand it would mean restarting at mission one after only recently playing the first few, on the other hand it is tempting to be able to talk about and compare with others...
I'll see how my schedule works out.

At a minimum you have given me a reason to bring this back to the table soon one way or another! My original squad (with a replacement or two) is currently waiting to do some pleasure boating
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pelni wrote:

Alright, I better get moving. Not like I don't know how to play - just need a refresher. And really don't need to totally read through the rulebook for that.

I could certainly START to play, and then just read up on what I need to refresh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, my schedule's opened up. We going to play this or just talk about it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
YES! Have to start a new thread.

It looks as if monthly missions it will be, and as I said earlier I will start with only scheduling the base game missions, in numeric order. If this works and many are still around after that it is easy to just keep going with one expansion at a time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Borgelin
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like a mighty fine idea and just the kickstart to get this series in play again.would very much appreciate coming along for the ride especially as these are soft deadlines being proposed....superb idea!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And I should post a link to the new thread here so no one subscribing can fail to notice!

Playing Ambush! base game campaign together 2018 (join in this thread!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Jones
msg tools
mbmb
So, guys, I hope you all see this.

I read a great review of the first four missions posted here in the Review forum:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/844900/mission-reviews

I figured it was finally safe to read since we'd all played the missions. The writer mentions that he was using the "litter rules" from Silver Star to move his men.

Well, I happened to have a copy of Silver Star, in shrink and busted that bad boy out today. Wow, is it nifty to see all the unpunched chits, including some replacements for the soldier chits.

But moving wounded guys without killing them -- here are the rules, straight from page 4, section 9.2:

9.2 Moving an Inactive Soldier

In addition to the procedure for moving an inactive man one hex, as provided for in the Ambush! rules booklet, the following method can be used. Two non-wounded soldiers can make a litter using their rifles by spending 1 Action each, simultaneously. Once the litter is constructed, the two soldiers can carry the litter a maximum of 3 hexes per Turn, paying normal terrain costs. It costs 1 MP to pick up or put down the litter, and the rifles used to make the litter cannot be used in combat while the litter is occupied.

The soldiers carrying the litter cannot engage in any form of fire combat nor carry any other weapons other than pistols. They can assault normally after putting the litter down. If assaulted while carrying the litter, or if one or both litter-bearers panic for any reason, the litter is dropped and the man on the litter suffers damage on the Pistol row. When an inactive man is being carried on a litter, it is not necessary to check for death caused by moving an inactive man.

The two soldiers carrying the litter must be on the same row of the Action Round Track to spend simultaneous Actions to move the litter or pick it up or put it down. If one litter bearer has 2 Turns and the other has only 1 Turn, they cannot pick up, put down or carry the litter until both are on the 1-Turn row (unless, of course, someone gives the 1-Turn bearer a Turn, raising him to the 2-Turn row).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.