Folklore: The Affliction» Forums » General

Subject: Figure Size rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rob

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could someone please post some comparison pictures of the game miniatures next to other figures (28mm, 32mm?) for size comparison?

I am very curious about the scale and possible compatibility with other model ranges. I believe many of these miniatures would work great with Frostgrave if the scales are close enough.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tovey
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
I hope to see some comparison pictures too. For the exact same reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been eyeballing Frostgrave for a while now. I am guessing you enjoy it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian T wrote:
I have been eyeballing Frostgrave for a while now. I am guessing you enjoy it?

I actually just got the Frostgrave book & haven't had a chance to play yet, but I'm very confident it will quickly become a favorite. It just hits all the right buttons for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
They are quite tall - haven't got pics with me, but I'd say they are at least 32 if not 35mm scale. They look huge near my Shadow of Brimstone miniatures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
Member of the San Francisco Game Group since 2005
badge
This is a customized Bane Tower from the game Man o' War
mb
...And Frostgrave minis tend to be a little on the small side. So if you've bought any of their figures, they might look a bit odd then

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the collection of Massive Darkness, plus I will have Folklore when it arrives, plus others. From what I have read on Frostgrave, you can pretty much use whatever minis you have on hand... Wizard, plus soldiers...

What sort of "monsters" are needed for Frostgrave? I figure, as long as the scale is reasonably close, they would still look good on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee Parks
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Saber72 wrote:
Could someone please post some comparison pictures of the game miniatures next to other figures (28mm, 32mm?) for size comparison?

I am very curious about the scale and possible compatibility with other model ranges. I believe many of these miniatures would work great with Frostgrave if the scales are close enough.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks, those aren't too big at all!

They look nice too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee Parks
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
mattprice wrote:
Thanks, those aren't too big at all!

They look nice too.

yeah, not sure how folks think they are too big. They are about the same scale as the majority of my D&D, Kingdom Death and reaper bones miniatures I've been using for years in 1x1in=5x5ft grid style games.

I included the 32mm yashima figure of kenta, b/c that is an enlarged miniature who is is too large for a 1x1in style game.

to be fair the 6ft silhouette of a human male looks rather small compared to the minis. We learned in the making of our first game zpcoalyspe that going exactly to scale in miniature looks frankly, not good. peoples arms are too skinny, and weapons too small. you need SOME exaggeration of scale with facial features, hands, weapons etc.. else they get lost in printing, and or just look wrong to the human eye. aka, Michelangelo's David is a great example of exaggeration of scale, as it was meant to be viewed from the top of a temple, and thus his hands and such were made much larger to look accurate when viewed from above.

In that same vein, we've had our 3d artists build exaggerated facial features, enlarged weapons, and such to compensate for the 3d printing process of the master molds to find that happy balance of exaggerated features being visible in the end product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for posting the great pics!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zee Parks
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Saber72 wrote:
Thank you for posting the great pics!

NP.

I made a criminal lineup template in 8.5x11in to fold and use for the photo shoot. here's the template in case anyone wants to show different miniatures in scale. the fonts are a bit small, but idea gets across.

https://i.imgur.com/abD7xtk.jpg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Tovey
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
That template is great. I have the Frostgrave plastic sprue minis which I found to be a bit smaller than some of my Reaper minis. I don't mind slight differences in scale but I found it to be a little much within the same warband. I now have two warbands one reaper and one official minis. I'm fine with this for some reason even if they are battling each other on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Corwyn
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very useful. Thank you.
Let us hope we will see many "criminals" line up now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M G
msg tools
Hey Zee,

Thanks for the comparison shots. The reason why size has been brought up is the 6ft outline is the standard height for some miniature lines with miniatures foot to head measuring between 25mm to 32mm (28mm is the standard for a lot of terrain). When used with other figures it scales Folklore heros to be around 8ft tall.

While the base size is the same allowing the same grids to be used, the different heights can throw perspective off. I'll be able to use folklore figures as giants for example compared to zombicide black plague miniatures.

The larger issue for me is terrain. Folklore miniatures won't look right when used with terrain scaled for 28mm height miniatures. I'm currently working on a large scale diorama scaled at 28mm height. I was hoping to use some of the heroes in it, but I don't think it will be possible. I might be able to use some of the enemies.

I do not think it detracts from the game, just compatibility with some miniature lines. Reaper are 25mm to 35mm. New D&D range is 30mm for 6ft. CMON are 28mm to 32mm. As you mentioned they are the same scale as KDM.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just received my copy and thought I'd take a photo of the Butcher character standing next to an official Frostgrave barbarian miniature. Some of the monsters look like they might work, but the actual characters themselves look gigantic (to me):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Price
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Aw, bummer. I was hoping they'd just be kinda big... That dude is HUGE!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Wyse
United Kingdom
Chippenham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep in mind, Frostgrave miniatures are a little on the small side, compared to others. 28mm used to be the industry standard but it's more like 32mm these days.

So yeah, while the Folklore miniatures are larger again, comparing them to Frostgrave will make it seem like a more dramatic size gap. There is also a size difference within the Folklore range (Skeletons for example are larger than humans), but it's not a huge difference.

Compared to Conan, Lobotomy, Massive Darkness, Dungeons & Dragons, Dungeon Saga, and Descent (monsters, not heroes... don't get me started on that!) the larger size is noticeable, but not unusable. I didn't get the terrain pack, but I hear that's where the biggest difference is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob

Tennessee
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! I thought the smaller figure was a dwarf until I read the caption. That's a bummer. Maybe I can use them with Conan figures if the difference isn't too dramatic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.