Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
Hi all,

this post may contain spoilers

as English isn't my mother tongue, how do you understand the following sentence about the hunt event 18 Dead Weed :

8+
You pull the weed free! It has strange regenerative power and may be used to cure all instances of 1 severe injury, even dismembered limbs. It must be used immediately, otherwise it crumples into dust in your hands when you move on. Each survivor may use the curative power once, curing one severe injury.

Does it mean that if several survivors have the same severe injury, it heals it at once ? For example, if 2 survivors both have a dismembered arm, it is healed and the other 2 cannot use the weed to heal their other other severe injuries ?

Thanks a lot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
Both can heal the injury.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
kurczaczekx wrote:
Both can heal the injury.

Thanks. Just to be clear, you mean that (in my example) if 2 survivors both have a dismembered arm, it is healed and the other 2 cannot use the weed to heal their other severe injuries.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
I favor Euros, but I like pretty much all games.
badge
Make the kinds of posts you want to read.
mbmbmbmbmb
Being that it says "[The weed] may be used to cure all instances of 1 severe injury ..."

I interpret this as requiring you to pick a severe injury by name, such as "dismembered arm" or "gaping chest wound".

So yes, in your case the two with Dismembered Arm would be healed and the other two would get no benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Death Jester
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That just seems so strange...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Each survivor may use the curative power once, curing one severe injury.

Poots is famous for his typos, I'd follow the ending sentence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Riff Conner
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, i'd say 95% chance he meant "cure all instances of severe injury, one per survivor" and just got the sentence muddled.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
riffraff wrote:
Yeah, i'd say 95% chance he meant "cure all instances of severe injury, one per survivor" and just got the sentence muddled.

yeah but but it seems surprising to me that it is precisely written : "may be used to cure all instances of 1 severe injury".

:/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
For this one, I actually never had second thoughts, but it is probably because I speak another language native, so I could have lost some nuance.

In my interpretation, it works like this:
1. Name a severe injury (eg. 'Gaping Chest Wound')
2. FOR EACH SURVIVOR, all instances of that precise severe injury are healed.

So, Survivor A, who has 2 instances of GCW, gets both healed. Survivor B, who has one GCW, gets it healed. Survivor C, who is Hamstrung, stays with his severe injury.

Fluff-wise (and it is absolutely irrelevant, but it makes sense), you found this 'medical weed' (air quotes mandatory) that miraculously heals Gaping Chest Wounds. You consume THE HELL of it.

It seems to me 100% compatible with the wording, but again, it could be that I am losing something in translation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is exactly how it is intended considering it says ALL instances of ONE injury. That's actually really clear, especially since you can have multiple instances of the same injury (for some injuries).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
Thank you all for your answers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Holttum
United Kingdom
Southend on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I am going to argue the exact opposite - that it will heal different wounds for different survivors - taking the Gaping Chest Wound as the example.

Quote:
(weed)may be used to cure all instances of 1 severe injury, even dismembered limbs....Each survivor may use the curative power once, curing one severe injury.

I read it that the first line means "you may cure all instances of one severe injury" (i.e. will cure multiple receipts of GCW). In this case, the "1" against severe injury is not intended to restrict the weed to one type of injury, but rather to indicate that "if a survivor uses the weed to cure GCW, it will cure ALL GCWs that survivor has, but will not cure any other severe wounds they have".

I believe this makes more sense, because if NOT intended to be read that way, there is a major contradiction between the first and second parts - "cure ALL instances" in the first part, yet "curing ONE severe injury" in the second.

Reading it as intended to say "each survivor selects one severe injury type they have, and heals all instances of that injury type".

Ultimately though, it is poorly worded enough that any interpretation can be supported. The problems with the English language!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
Baby don't hurt me
badge
Sleepy Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
Doesn't 'one' mean 'exactly one', as opposed to 'a' (meaning an indefinite unit?)
Since it says 'one', I never thought any more of that.
However, the other interpretation makes it even more useful.

Ultimately, I'll just leave the debate to native english speakers and just wait for an authoritative answer.

When is a decent time in NY, though, someone can ask directly mr P on Twitter - it seems to me the sort of question he will gladly answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
Let's summon Adam Poots and kingdomdeathteam ^^
Nevertheless I'm glad I asked. I'll wait too

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
way i read it is each survivor gets to heal 1 severe injury, they dont have to be all the same as each survivors injury. However each survivor also gets to heal all cases of the injury you choose for him. As an example

A. has 2 gaping chest wound
b. has a severed arm
c. is hamstrung and has a broken leg
d. has a gaping chest wound.

a, is healed of both chest wounds
b, regrows his severed arm
c, leg is no longer broken but he is still hamstrung.
d. no long has a gaping chest wound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
gorkel wrote:
way i read it is each survivor gets to heal 1 severe injury, they dont have to be all the same as each survivors injury. However each survivor also gets to heal all cases of the injury you choose for him. As an example

b. has a severed arm

I think you are right ! It follows the "cure all instances of 1 severe injury" rule AND the "Each survivor may use the curative power once, curing one severe injury" rule !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every interpretation other than "name an injury and cure JUST THAT for all survivors" sounds way, way overpowered. Especially in Kingdom Death where more often than not rolls will just instantly kill you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Artl
United States
New Berlin
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gorkel wrote:

b. has a severed arm

This is exactly how I would read it too. If you want to get really technical and break down the wording of the event:

"It has strange regenerative power and may be used to cure all instances of 1 severe injury, even dismembered limbs. It must be used immediately, otherwise it crumples into dust in your hands when you move on. Each survivor may use the curative power once, curing one severe injury."

The power is the part in bold there, and each survivor can use that power once. It doesn't specify that the power needs to be just one injury for the entire group, each survivor gets to use it separately.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
StevenE Smooth Sailing...
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news for the one armed survivor carrying a Twilight sword...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
t3clis wrote:
Doesn't 'one' mean 'exactly one', as opposed to 'a' (meaning an indefinite unit?)
One could mean one instance or one type, in this context. The more natural way to read it is one instance, but the way to read the rule that wouldn't result in a contradiction is one type.

It's definitely jumbled, though.

Possible intended meanings:

-pick one type of injury, all survivors may heal it as many times as they want
-pick one type of injury, any number of survivors may heal it once
-each survivor may choose one severe injury, as described above, healing as many instances of the chosen injury as they have

...or, like some places where there are more clearly contradictions, it could have none of those intended meanings, and it was one idea that got edited and contains fragments of old and new text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
I agree with gorkel and others: Each survivor chooses one type of severe wound, and is cured of all instances of that wound.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That just seems WAY too good.

Edit: And I can see that interpretation in the wording, but that just seems way too good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stevenson Junior
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
boardgamesdotEXE wrote:
That just seems WAY too good.

Edit: And I can see that interpretation in the wording, but that just seems way too good.

How often do you have so many severe injuries in your hunting party? We usually have 0, maximum 1, tbh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BG.EXE
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great point. I sort of think that makes it even better if it can heal injuries with different names though. Since you normally have zero or one, if you DID have four now it's crazy good.

I hope we get an official resolution on this, I'm super interested now to know which way it works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julien
France
Paris
flag msg tools
We summon Poots for an official answer ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.