Hide
15 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Struggling with Kickstarter campaign rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Holley
msg tools
I’ve not got my copy yet so I’m playing the community’s campaign on Kickstarter. However I’m finding it impossibly hard playing solo (with 2 characters). I can’t get past the second scenario - I keep getting exhausted. I’ve tried with spellweaver and craighorn and spellweaver and brute. But by the time I’m mid way through the second room I’m either dead or run out of cards. Has anyone else experienced this or am I doing something wrong?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Holley
msg tools
Sorry I meant on tabletop simulator

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
Have you paid your dues, Jack?
badge
Yes sir, the check is in the mail.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not necessarily. I struggled playing solo, trying to get past the third scenario I encountered (in the game itself) playing 2 characters, a Brute and a Tinkerer. I added a Scoundrel and it made a TON of difference. After 30 plays, I still prefer 3 characters for most scenarios.

It's worth noting that the scenario I struggled with was modified in the 2nd edition to make it easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brayden Connole
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Are you playing on easy? My wife and I found that to be much more enjoyable than the normal level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We bumped the difficulty down a level for the first few levels until we got the hang of playing it and had unlocked a few new cards and gotten some additional equipment.

The difficulty curve is atrocious, though. It's half the average level of your party, rounded up. So if you're all level 1, half the average is 0.5, rounded up to 1. So it's a 1:1 difficulty. But if you're all level 4, half the average is 2, so now your characters are twice the level as the scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Holley
msg tools
On normal. Might try easy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did the second scenario on TTS with brute and scoundrel at normal level (+1 for the solo) and I end up in the first game. The scoundrel can move quite fast and this help. You should try to avoid to lost time in the first rooms, maybe leaving some enemies still alive and use the bombs properly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Holley
msg tools
Did you kill everything on the way or did you leave some things alive (like the artiliary?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Sands
United Kingdom
Pinner
Middlesex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it solo with Brute and Mind Thief. Scenario 2, I remember because it came down to pretty much their last cards, so it is not an easy scenario, but it shouldn't be impossible! Loot the bombs, and make use of them would be the best advice I could offer for that particular scenario...
You can ignore some of the artillery, if you can coordinate your moves so that you take as few shots as possible before getting past them - watch their ranges and lines of sight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Shopoff
msg tools
Try picking up most of the bombs with the Crafheart and then using the Cragheart's ability that adds a target to all ranged attacks. Makes for crazy double bombs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Holley
msg tools
Thanks. I’ve actually switched to the brute And spellweaver and keeping moving rather than getting bogged down trying to kill everything. I think I might do it this time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Desroches
Canada
flag msg tools
Scenario two and three are by far the hardest two scenarios of the campaign.. (with 5 being another one that could be hard) The scenarios are not equally balanced very well.

Make sure you have enough reusable mobility cards. I've only played tinkerer, crag, and scoundrel but the cragheart especially has very low mobility(at least of the reusable kind) at level 1.

Since you can look at the scenario map before choosing your cards if the map is big make sure you have enough movement cards. It also is important to make sure you have ranged attacks or heals so that you decrease the chance of having a dead turn where all you do is move. That last part is less important for the scoundrel since he has a ton of move 5-6 cards and some move/attack on top cards.

Unless a scenario looks short or you have a really powerful play most characters do not really want to use any lost cards early unless they are a card that really lends itself to being played early (like backup ammo).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Latimore
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Scenario 2 and 3 are very difficult, even for intermediate players, let alone beginners. I'd lower the difficulty, and you'll have a much better time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom G
Australia
flag msg tools
simonholley wrote:
I’ve not got my copy yet so I’m playing the community’s campaign on Kickstarter. However I’m finding it impossibly hard playing solo (with 2 characters). I can’t get past the second scenario - I keep getting exhausted. I’ve tried with spellweaver and craighorn and spellweaver and brute. But by the time I’m mid way through the second room I’m either dead or run out of cards. Has anyone else experienced this or am I doing something wrong?

Hey mate. I had a similar problem with the campaign on TTS - had to play through the second scenario 3-4 times to make it. Also -first two times I basically needed to figure out what to do.
The second scenario is difficult, because there are many enemies and the path is long and you aren't likely going to have enough cards & turns to kill everyone you meet. Especially the cannons - good thing to understand is, that they are stationery and can't move. If you move past them, they might get one shot at you and that's that.
In my last playthrough (2player game), I killed only about 2 Guards and 2-3 Archers + I think one cannon, the rest I jumped over and moved away from quickly to get to the boss. By the time I fought the boss, the guard and archer from second room were slowly gaining on me, but still not in range yet. I was also lucky that the guard kept getting in way of the archer. Killed the boss when the surviving archer and guard that were trailing me for last several rounds started to climb the stairs behind me.

It's a tactical RPG. I guess sometimes you just need to change your strategy.

btw - I played with a Cragheart and Mindthief (Having the Cragheart remove an obstacle in the second room and Mindthief mind-control a guard to walk into a trap in the first was a godsend).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Holley
msg tools
Thanks this was the strategy that finally did it for me also. Keep moving!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.