• [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Still completely dead here in central NY as well. So little interest that none of the four local game stores are even considering picking up the new starters when they come out unless it is for a pre-paid special order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navy 2001
msg tools
i live in DE..the only place that holds OPs anymore is like 2 hours away..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
your best hope is when the new starter set comes out, running pick up games at local venues with it may help get more players in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Typheron wrote:
your best hope is when the new starter set comes out, running pick up games at local venues with it may help get more players in.

I was a die hard fan/OP player back in the day...

I feel like it is a very different game now.

I don't think I could get back into it even if I tried.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Douglas
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
badge
Destroyers RULE and Battleships DROOL!
mbmbmbmbmb
dc0nklin wrote:
I don't think I could get back into it even if I tried.

surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Sinclair
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
The game is dead here in FL too. I started playing a year after the game launch. It took me over a year to track down the releases of the waves I didn't have. Now I have all the waves, premium ships, DS9, micro machines (For ships that may never be released), lots of OP content, and I'm totally invested in making a 4x4 game table with fiber optic lights (Almost Done Too)

I've gone so far as to make my own game mechanics along with custom cards (Just started those)

Just to watch a fun game slowly bleed to death. It's really sad too. I like Star Wars too, but I decided that Star Trek had more realistic possibilities, so I went with this game and not Star Wars. Sure SW is geared for space combat, by what I've read, better, but I like it alright. There are too many nit picky rules, that sometimes breaks how to play STAW by the rules. That's why I'm making my own version to use more like role playing. No discarding cards to spend, no points to worry about. It's based more on shield damage, repair in space, full repair at space dock, but most importantly exploring new planets, conflict adds flavor, but alas the game seems to have died.

If I thought I could find a way to set up a way to play and post moves either here or on a different site, I would. Space moves could take real time like a day or a few days...like chess. If anyone wants likes this idea, or is curious about it just PM me.

Thanks for reading...enjoy the game, even if ya think it's broke, bad paint, rules that say yes but later say no (update lol)

Live Long And Prosper

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Grossen

Pueblo
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Cpt Sinclair wrote:

I've gone so far as to make my own game mechanics along with custom cards (Just started those)

Just to watch a fun game slowly bleed to death. It's really sad too. I like Star Wars too, but I decided that Star Trek had more realistic possibilities, so I went with this game and not Star Wars. Sure SW is geared for space combat, by what I've read, better, but I like it alright. There are too many nit picky rules, that sometimes breaks how to play STAW by the rules. That's why I'm making my own version to use more like role playing. No discarding cards to spend, no points to worry about. It's based more on shield damage, repair in space, full repair at space dock, but most importantly exploring new planets, conflict adds flavor, but alas the game seems to have died.

If I thought I could find a way to set up a way to play and post moves either here or on a different site, I would. Space moves could take real time like a day or a few days...like chess. If anyone wants likes this idea, or is curious about it just PM me.

Live Long And Prosper

Bruh. First of all, you should post those rules here when you work them out. Sounds cool.

Next, have you ever heard of Tabletop Simulator? I know CrazyVulcan has put a lot of time into some systems and models on that program so you can play STAW with people around the globe (supposing you have a computer that can run it) https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1590009/table-top-simulator

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
navy 2001
msg tools
still dead here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Douglas
New Zealand
Christchurch
Canterbury
flag msg tools
badge
Destroyers RULE and Battleships DROOL!
mbmbmbmbmb
What have you been actively doing and trying to rebuild the player base in your area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Grossen

Pueblo
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
New_Zealand_Neil wrote:
What have you been actively doing and trying to rebuild the player base in your area?

Also, this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
mbmbmbmbmb
Slowly teaching my fellow Trek fans and other gamers in the area how to play. Even if it's only casual, it builds the awareness locally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Anderson
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
I'll play the Klingons
badge
I'll play the Klingons
mbmbmbmbmb
badog1000 wrote:
New_Zealand_Neil wrote:

Also, this.

Keep considering trying to get this game going again but I keep coming back to three things:
1. Most of the gamers who would be interested were already in and then dropped out due to various issues such as imbalance so you would have to convince them the landscape has changed to get them back in. There is extremely little to base such an argument on.

2. Even if you convinced someone to get in, most of the product is not available at reasonable prices. None of the stores in town stock this either. The stores couldn't get the new starter or faction packs if they wanted to.

3. Star Wars X-Wing is still going strong and is a direct competitor.

But still, since I prefer Star Trek ships, I'll probably test the waters a bit. If the factions packs were available and if they had Federation and Klingon faction packs also (an odd omission), I'd consider putting out word for a tournament where you could only use the materials within one Faction pack to give a fresh start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wood
United States
Cambridge
Vermont
flag msg tools
"Ahh! The aroma of several adventure games emanates from your person."
badge
"Save early, save often."
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. The lack of supply locally is probably the biggest obstacle right now.

... Which was caused by dwindling interest. Ugh. I had Catch-22s.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Grossen

Pueblo
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The only reason I got into STAW was because it didn't cost me anything.

Basically, an acquaintance of mine wanted to get people into the game, and first built us fleets to play with (Come and try this game at your FLGS- no prep required!)
And afterwards gave us access to HIS ships to build fleets; whereupon he would assemble them and bring them to the play session for us to use. A lot of work for him for a couple of weeks, but once we were hooked, we started buying our own stuff.

I'm not sure if something like this is remotely possible for you; but another option to get people into the game is, if you can get them to play... To lose! whistle

This doesn't work if you care more about winning than the game, but psychologically, when people win at something: they are more likely to want to try it again even if they lose the second time.

Try a weird build, try a weak build, make a bad move, fly a ship off the map, or purposely into a minefield...

Lol maybe the ethics of this don't work for you, but it's how my friends in college got me to spend $100's on Magic the Gathering... shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.