Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Keith D
Japan
Iwaki
Fukishima
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
First off, No I was not one of the backers for this games KS.

I came across One Deck Dungeon by chance at a (not so local) board game shop. It looked cool, I picked it up read the back and set it back down. A few days later I had bought it and was ready to play.

How to play: kind of
This is one of those easy to explain hard to do. Roll dice the results cover up boxes (think Roll for It) but it doesn't stop there! each monster or trap you face adds to either the number of dice you roll, the effect on those dice (re-roll or change the vale etc) or experience causing you to level up. Simple right? Wrong! There are always conditions to the monsters or traps abilities which affect your rolls causing you to think hard about what dice you place where.

Oh! did I mention there is a Boss fight at the end? Yeah, so you better be locked and loaded for that because they are merciless. I have had nights where I have gone after the same boss four times before giving up.

Oh! did I mention there is a campaign? Yeah taking on those harder bosses wont be easy so upgrade your character so that when she goes into battle she can faces the baddest baddies.

Gender of the characters:

They are all girls. Don't let this be a thing.

My opinion:

Ok I love this game for numerous reasons. The game it self is smooth and you don't spend to much time waiting on your partner or other factors to play themselves out. The campaign gives you something to strive for and the upgrades really will have you guessing what will be coming next. BUT HANDS DOWN the best part of the game is the drama it builds. I have had times where I have left the table because my partner rolled a 1 when we needed a 3 or higher. I have been emotionally rocked when facing a hydra that keeps regenerating. This game just really gives you a sense of action just out of rolling dice.

Difficulty: 8/10 Art: 6.5/10 Game Play: 10/10

Replay-ability: 10/10 Flow: 10/10 Time: 30-45 min

I am yet to play the newest version (One Deck Dungeon: Forest of Shadows) but it will be on my table as soon as it is sold in stores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kneeland
United States
Beaumont
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. I too love this game. I most enjoy it solo, but have played with my wife and daughter as well. I KS the expansion, and can't wait.

This and Friday are my two favorite solo games now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Barringer
United States
Evansville
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I agree with your thoughts. I've played close to 30 times and can't wait for the new expansion to ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kos blaat
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmb
Agree with your review. There obviously has gone so much love into making this game. A Pity the rules keep changing, but its understandable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith D
Japan
Iwaki
Fukishima
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Friday is one of those game that challenges me as well but in a good way. I have found that Castles of Burgundy the card game also have a great solo game. But nothing tops ODD for me.

Thanks for the love BTW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.