Ra» Forums » General

Subject: Ra with kids? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mads Thilsing
Denmark
flag msg tools
I have two girls aged 7 and 9.
Have any of you tried Ra with this age group, and what are your experiences?
The concept (and choices) of the game is quite simple (pull a tile from the bag or call Ra), but the scoring system is a bit abstract and convoluted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
They will be fine with it at this age as long as the 7-year-old is nearly 8/or quite intelligent.

The scoring is very easy and only takes one game to get used to.

Plus the scoring is based on what tiles you have and I generally find kids can allocate scoring to images/tiles very easily.

It really isn't convoluted at all and quite simple when you start playing.

The buildings (dark blue tiles) are just a set collection and points for how many different buildings you get, so easy.

The water (light blue) tiles get you one point for each tile as long as you have a flood tile.

The most pharaohs (green tiles) is easy..just who has the most of them.

The civ tiles (white tiles) are just like the buildings, you get points for how many different ones you can get (you lose 5 points if you don't manage to get one of them each round)

The money tiles (brown) are instant 3 coins which is easy as it show 3 coins on them.

And then theres are yellow tiles that just let you swap them for any other tile on your turn (or they are worth 2 points at the end if you don't use them).

And that's it I think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would agree that it can be played with children that age (I did with my kids and they liked it quite a bit). One hazard to be aware of, common to children in all 'push your luck' games is that they may latch onto either a completely 'safe' call of Ra and settle for only one or two tiles.. or be very aggressive about filling the tiles row (and trying to be last person still drawing) and consequently never getting to use all their suns.

The game calls for decision-making over the best timing of calling Ra or pushing one's luck.. kids tend to settle into a single strategy that suits their personality/limited experience and thus sub-optimize.. and are easier to beat. Of course, there is enough luck in Ra that they can still win, but they will be at a disadvantage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dklx3 wrote:
I would agree that it can be played with children that age (I did with my kids and they liked it quite a bit). One hazard to be aware of, common to children in all 'push your luck' games is that they may latch onto either a completely 'safe' call of Ra and settle for only one or two tiles.. or be very aggressive about filling the tiles row (and trying to be last person still drawing) and consequently never getting to use all their suns.

The game calls for decision-making over the best timing of calling Ra or pushing one's luck.. kids tend to settle into a single strategy that suits their personality/limited experience and thus sub-optimize.. and are easier to beat. Of course, there is enough luck in Ra that they can still win, but they will be at a disadvantage.

Valuable coaching opportunity, relatable to finance. That means you need to be at the table and actively speaking to their options. You'll be working during the play.

My question is whether they'll keep their interest. It's not the most thrilling play on earth. Worth a shot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
dklx3 wrote:

Agree totally. I was going to get into this but couldn't have put it better than you have

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Holland on Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
dklx3 wrote:

Valuable coaching opportunity, relatable to finance. That means you need to be at the table and actively speaking to their options. You'll be working during the play.

My question is whether they'll keep their interest. It's not the most thrilling play on earth. Worth a shot.

Yes agree again, this sort of game is not that exciting for that age group.

I would go with something like the Isle of Skye which has an easier and more fun for kids auction mechanism.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mads Thilsing
Denmark
flag msg tools
Thank's for all your inputs.
I finally got Ra to the table with the girls yesterday, and it went very well!
I needed to remind them how each tile scores, when it was pulled from the bag, but then again, I do that when teaching Ra to adults as well.
The (now) 10 year old won with a score of 45, followed by me at 39, while the 8 year old got an acceptable 27 points.
Most importantly, they enjoyed it, and so did I :-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.