King of Tokyo» Forums » Rules

Subject: First Player to Enter Tokyo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leonardo Grachinski
Brazil
flag msg tools
Hi everyone!

I believe that this probably has been discussed before but I did not find any recent answer and am confused at the moment.

When I learned to play this game a couple years ago, I was taught that when Tokyo is empty and a player attacks, that player must enter Tokyo.

However I've just purchased a copy of the game and the manual says that you must enter Tokyo unregarding if you're attacking or not.

Which is the correct one?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hostetler
United States
Warminster
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rule you remember is from the first edition, the second edition changed the rule in order to avoid the situation where everyone is trying to keep from rolling a claw for the first few rounds. Personally, I didn't see this as an issue and prefer it the original way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Grachinski
Brazil
flag msg tools
Thanks for the quick reply! Any more noticeable changes I should be worried?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
That's really it. I went back and rewatched the TableTop episode after I bought the game and played it a few times. I was convinced they were making a critical error. Turns out it was in the rules at the time. Ha.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grachinski wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply! Any more noticeable changes I should be worried?

That's the only real 'big' rule change.
Card-wise:
Monster Batteries got replaced with Battery Monster (similar effect, but improved).
A few of the cards read differently, but this is more "functioning as always intended" than actual rules changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Debosse
France
La Seyne Sur Mer
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Big change in the second edition that makes games more active in my opinion. In my group we still have the first edition but we adopted that rule. We're just not sure how to handle Tokyo Bay with that rule, we've been saying that as long as any spot is vacant it must be filled (for 5-6 players), but not sure if that's explained in the second edition manual...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
tryde wrote:
Big change in the second edition that makes games more active in my opinion. In my group we still have the first edition but we adopted that rule. We're just not sure how to handle Tokyo Bay with that rule, we've been saying that as long as any spot is vacant it must be filled (for 5-6 players), but not sure if that's explained in the second edition manual...

It's explained very clearly. With 1-6 players, if Tokyo is empty, you enter Tokyp. With 5-6 players, if Tokyo Bay is empty, you enter Tokyo Bay. If Tokyo is vacated, the player from Tokyo Bay goes to Tokyo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fred Methot
Canada
SAINTE-JULIE
QUEBEC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
drneau wrote:
tryde wrote:

If Tokyo is vacated, the player from Tokyo Bay goes to Tokyo.

Not quite in 2nd edition, that move from the Bay to the city only occurs if a 5+ players game becomes a 4- players game due to player elimination.

There's no point moving from the Bay to the city in 5+ players since both spots have the same effects, rules, purposes... Nothing in the rulebook states that a player moves from the bay to the city under any normal circumstances.

Whoever plays next will enter the empty spot on the board, whatever it is. .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kjetil Svendsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
My Secret Santa is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
It matters if you're in Tokyo or Tokyo Bay, because if you're reduced to 4 monsters, the one in Tokyo Bay have to move out.

So this is how you should do it when Tokyo is attacked:

First the monster in Tokyo decides if they want to stay or yield. If they yield, the monster in Tokyo Bay moves to Tokyo, unless they also want to leave. Then, during the movement phase, the attacking monster moves into Tokyo, or if it is full (and there's still 5-6 players) Tokyo Bay.

The King of Tokyo rules does not explain this in detail, but it is explained in the King of New York rules, where the new movement rule comes from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chetil wrote:
First the monster in Tokyo decides if they want to stay or yield. If they yield, the monster in Tokyo Bay moves to Tokyo, unless they also want to leave. Then, during the movement phase, the attacking monster moves into Tokyo, or if it is full (and there's still 5-6 players) Tokyo Bay.

The King of Tokyo rules does not explain this in detail, but it is explained in the King of New York rules

The underlined part does not happen.
Tokyo and New York, while quite similar, are not the same game. The Tokyo 2nd Edition rules (English if it matters) are more recent then the New York rules and make no mention of moving from Bay to City 'just because it is empty'.
There's also no mention of 'City has yield priority', but for the sake of gameplay someone must, so City>Bay seems fair enough, as does turn order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kjetil Svendsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There were nothing in the rules about who yields first, so this as been discussed many times in the forum. In 2012 Stephan Brissaud from Iello wrote:

IelloGames wrote:
I usually deal it as a LIFO line (Last In, First Out) but I will ask confirmation to Master Richard.

We never heard back from Garfield, but with the release of King of New York there's no longer any doubt, as both games feature a spot for 5-6 players, and it's unlikely that Garfield intended the yielding order to work differently in Tokyo. The order is more important in KoNY, since the fleeing monsters there have to move to a borough (which can become full).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grarrrg Grarrrgowski
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Main point is, I shouldn't have to reference a different game's rules to answer questions.
And they had ample opportunity to rewrite/add things in 2nd edition and declined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kjetil Svendsen
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely agree with you that this should have been clarified in the 2nd edition rules. There were several threads about this when the 1st edition came out, so this could have been fixed. You're right, you should not have to consult another game to find out how this works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore Corrao
Italy
Caulonia Marina
RC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your ruling is arbitrary and goes against an example from the 2016 English rulebook.

From Page 5: "Once the game has 4 or fewer players, you must leave Tokyo Bay immediately (except if Tokyo City is empty, in which case you move there)."

How could Tokyo City be empty if we used your [house] rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
Wolverutto wrote:
Your ruling is arbitrary and goes against an example from the 2016 English rulebook.

From Page 5: "Once the game has 4 or fewer players, you must leave Tokyo Bay immediately (except if Tokyo City is empty, in which case you move there)."

How could Tokyo City be empty if we used your [house] rule?

Uh, someone outside of Tokyo killed the monster in Tokyo?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.