10 Posts

Star Wars: X-Wing Miniatures Game» Forums » General

Subject: Alternative to the 100/6 play format rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Chinn
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
so to preface this- this is not my own original idea by a long shot, in fact its ripped straight out of Star Trek Attack Wing's organised play format.

I've seen lots of complaint threads on hear about 2 ship meta and overpowered ships loaded with upgrades which reminded me alot of wave 10-12ish Attack Wing (a meta at one point dominated by single ship 100pt builds). So that got me thinking, would the format that greatly improved the Attack Wing play experience (at least at our store) have any effect on the current x-wing issues?

so to spell it out;

Squadron size goes UP to 130 (stay with me)

you MUST include at least 3 ships

no ship can cost more than 50pts unless its pilot card is already over 43pts, in which case you may spend 8pts on top of the ships cost (so a 46pt Han Solo couldn't exceed 54pts)

so there it is, it had quite an effect on "dreadnought" lists in Attack Wing (as in it killed them) and certainly changed the way our venue approached the game.

the real question is, would it help X-wing at all?
and if not, its at least a different way to try playing in casual
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure X-wing yet needs help in the way Attwck Wing did. There are some very strong 2 shio builds, but there are also strong multi-ship builds. You see the 2 ship builds flown more in generwl becwuse A)cheaper for new players and B)generally easier to fly. Flight pathing a large group takes a lot of headspace, and while I personally love that aspect it can be difficult for some folks, especially those worried about their win percentsge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Becker
United States
Yardley
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I don't think I have ever flown anything besides 2 and 3 ship builds. I have been playing since the game's release. The only problem these days is the power creep is such that there are small base ships that have the HP of the large base ships, and once competitive ships like the TIE Int can't even get on the table.

As for alternatives, there are a TON. Epic and scenario play alone give you dozens of alternatives to the 100/6 format. An official campaign would not be unwelcome though, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Chinn
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
xbeaker wrote:
Personally I don't think I have ever flown anything besides 2 and 3 ship builds. I have been playing since the game's release. The only problem these days is the power creep is such that there are small base ships that have the HP of the large base ships, and once competitive ships like the TIE Int can't even get on the table.

As for alternatives, there are a TON. Epic and scenario play alone give you dozens of alternatives to the 100/6 format. An official campaign would not be unwelcome though, of course.

I agree that a campaign is something that would be welcome in the game, I think I've played more HotAC in the last year than 100/6 X-wing.

As for my suggestion, purely throwing an idea out there as a saw an analogue between the old attack wing meta and where some people see the current x-wing meta.

Personally, I don't think the current meta is too bad, but as I said, I mainly play HotAC these days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Chadwick

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think anything different to help break up the monotony of 100/6 is good. I also like 100/20 to play a different game. Missions can be fun, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only play casual so far, but most of my lists are three or four ships, even when I'm playing 75pt games with the sproglet.

At Worlds 2017, the winner was a two-ship squad, but there were only six two-ship squads in the top 32, and he was the only one in the top 8, so it doesn't seem like they're dominating the meta.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok.. I haven't played in a long while - Vassal or tournaments or casual... but what is 100/6?

I know 100pts .. but what is the 6? I probably should know - but I don't
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
100pts per side, 6 asteroids on the field.

It's a bit of a silly name when you think about it; shouldn't it be 100/3?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Morgan
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah.. didn't get that

I lost interest in the jumpmaster era and when things devolved into uber-powered ships that were un-killable or one-shot all the ships I loved to play :/

Basically I got sick of adapting to the changes I found to be less than fun (competitively)

Still I need to give it a try again ... love the basic game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Rathbun
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jumpmasters have been adjusted... several times. No more Deadeye (it's small ship only). No more infinite range Manaroo. And lately they've even lost three of their normally available upgrade icons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.