Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Volkare's return - solo setup feels ... well, too short? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Sarnowski
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've recently started playing the Volkare's Return from lost Legion expansion. I followed the setup presented in the rulebook but after like 3 plays, I feel like the games feels too short now. Usually within 2-3 rounds (out of 6 suggested)I usually reveal all tiles and I don't feel strong enough to take on Volkare. Is this expected? I mean - does this scenario require different planning than Volkare's Quest where you can get beefy and just one-hit him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Honore
France
Berzé la ville
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This scenario does indeed plays differently than Volkare's Quest.

The strategy is to explore the map so as to eventually reveal the city in a spot far away from Volkare. Then depending on how you fared, you have 1 or 10 turns to prepare for Volkare's assault.
Not exploring too fast is crucial. Sometimes Volkare will explore frantically and you'll be basically walking behind him (usually easier), sometimes you'll each be on your way (if Volkare doesn't get into gear soon enough).
And sometimes it's going to be very hard to figure how to get all the juice you can from the tiles efficiently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As Gabriel said, try to let Volkare do most of the exploring and then time your own exploration of the city as far away from him as possible. Don't reveal too many tiles yoirself, or you can quickly run out of time.

If you explore timidly, I think this scenario is actually easier and less time-critical than Volkare's Quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.