Runewars» Forums » General

Subject: Heroes from Dungeonquest third edition rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
no flag
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the 6 heroes from Dungeonquest third edition worth playing with them ?

Are they well made and balanced ?

(For those who don't know what I'm talking about: the third edition of Dungeonquest came with 6 hero cards for Runewars so you can play Runewars with the heroes from Dungeonquest).

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I mix them in. They tend to be a little more random and volatile, but they're fun.

I do generally not randomize them into the starting heroes during setup though. I keep them with the neutral heroes and shuffle them into the hero deck after everyone has gotten their starter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
I use them, they work just fine (but they are a bit more volatile like Sean says). I mix them into the starting deck. (I actually don't sort out the heroes into "good" or "evil" to start, I just deal them out, saying "you get the first good, I get the first evil, etc, then just reshuffle all the neutrals or excess heroes when finished).

I actually use a whole bunch of custom heroes, too - I've basically created hero cards for every Descent 1E/Runebound 2E hero that didn't have any official Runewars hero already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like them, personally. Someone scanned the promo cards for them and I printed out and sleeved.

I hope FFG finished up the 1E heroes for Descent 2E one of these days so I can have separate sets of figures. As it is now some of them are in my Runewars stuff and some of them in Descent, and it's a pain to dig around for them when I need them for Runewars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Sarcasmorator wrote:
I hope FFG finished up the 1E heroes for Descent 2E one of these days so I can have separate sets of figures. As it is now some of them are in my Runewars stuff and some of them in Descent, and it's a pain to dig around for them when I need them for Runewars.

I took all the heroes for Descent 1E/Runebound 2E and just put them in a box that I keep separate, so that I can use them for any of the games without having to remember where they are. (Of course, I have duplicates of many of the heroes that are in multiple games).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, wouldn't work well with my setup. I have some duplicates already, of course; I think all I really need for Runewars at this point is Hugo and Tobin. All the rest are replaced already, I think.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cracky McCracken
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. They're cool. I use them in RB2ed as well.

But that's not why i bought DQ, that just happens to be the ed i bought.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett
United States
Laredo
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, now you guys make me want to go find a used copy of DungeonQuest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
Budgernaut wrote:

I bought 3rd Ed when FFG released it, then got 3rd Ed Revised when that came out. Revised is the way to go if you want to play DQ, but original 3rd Ed has the Runewars, Runebound, and Descent cards. It's great for me since now I also have two sets of the minis, one of which I use for DQ and one that I use for Runewars.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
logopolys wrote:
Budgernaut wrote:

I bought 3rd Ed when FFG released it, then got 3rd Ed Revised when that came out. Revised is the way to go if you want to play DQ, but original 3rd Ed has the Runewars, Runebound, and Descent cards. It's great for me since now I also have two sets of the minis, one of which I use for DQ and one that I use for Runewars.

Actually I recommend 3rd DQ over revised. Revised has higher difficulty level, but in a way that makes it more random and removes all the variants. There is rules upgrade for 3rd so you can play it like revised but still can do things like dice combat which is great for fast/solo play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
borsook wrote:
logopolys wrote:
Budgernaut wrote:

Actually I recommend 3rd DQ over revised. Revised has higher difficulty level, but in a way that makes it more random and removes all the variants. There is rules upgrade for 3rd so you can play it like revised but still can do things like dice combat which is great for fast/solo play.

There were some fundamentals that bugged me in 3rd Ed, like the excessive combat and the undefeated monster bookkeeping. Revised fixed those problems for me. I've not noticed an increase of difficulty myself; could you be more specific?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.