Vincent
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Disclaimer: This is my first review on the geek, although I am an avid reader on the site, I would like to do a post on my own.I am only 14 years old, but don't underestimate me. I know the rules of Mage Knight by heart. I am just as much of a gamer as you. Wish me luck!

The History: I'm going to start off this review with a story. This story goes WAY back, no, not thatfar back, but there. Yep. How I got into gaming. Well, when I was about 11 or 12 my mom purchased the family a copy of Settlers of Catan. Now, my family isn't the type that used to play board games a lot, but I was. I would ask everyone to play, and end up playing by myself. So when we got this copy, I think we only played this game once. Since it's a 3+ player game, I later had no one to play with except my little brother, who was also interested at the time. So I googled "How to play Catan with 2 people" and stumbled upon this site: BoardGameGeek. It was cool, and I liked it, but I thought the variants were too complex and stopped trying. Then, when I was watching Youtube videos about Catan, I came across TableTop, which I liked. I was super bored so I watched about, Hmm, let's see, 1, 2... all of them. When I watched the Dead of Winter episode, I knew THIS WAS THE GAME. So a week later, when my family was at Barnes and Noble, I got a copy of it. That too was a 3+ player game, but I played it with my family once. Long story short, they didn't have the best time. So, once again it was me and my little brother. So I got more games, and more and even more. At that point I was realized my player count, so I was investing in 2 player games. Then, one day my little brother thought games were too long and boring. So we stopped playing together, mostly. Sometimes we would play but it would be only if I did something for him. My mom would always tell me, ask your friends to play, but at the time that was never an option. What if my friends thought I was a weirdo? What if they laughed at me? Terrifying. I went to solo gaming. I had a few co-op games, which I played solo, and then I got more solo games like Mage Knight. I was happy, but I had a lot of unplayed games I was itching to play alone on my shelf, collecting dust.

The Encounter: I knew about One Night Werewolf, I just never got it, why would I? I never would have a group. I thought it was a cool game, but never really thought about playing it. I was surfing boardgamegeek GeekAuctions, When I saw a copy of One Night Werewolf for a cheap price, asked my mom if I could get it, and I pulled the trigger. I'm not sure why I got it, but I don't regret it one bit. I opened the box, and found out that instead of just the base set, it was EVERY SINGLE EXPANSION PACK, including the bonus packs. The only pack I didn't get was Alien, which at the time, was still on Kick Starter. I was amazed. But it went to the shelf, and sat there.

The Miracle: None of my friends knew I was a gamer, they thought board games were just Monopoly or Scrabble. My hobby was a complete secret. But just because I kept secrets from them, doesn't mean I could party! I was organizing a sleepover with my friends. (Remember I'm 14 years old,) When I have sleepovers, no one goes into my room. It's upstairs, and my mom doesn't like it when I go upstairs anyways, so we just stayed downstairs and went outside. So, we bike around the neighborhood, the time was 7:45 P.M. when we got back to my house to settle down. After playing "Truth or Dare" for 10 minutes, we were bored. We have video games at my house, but not in the room we were sleeping in, I don't usually play video games, I'm more of a board gamer, so they were all in my older brother's room. So we were stuck doing nothing, I went upstairs to grab some pretzels for the group. I don't know if it was the magic of the night, or maybe the stars were aligned correctly and Cthulhu was messing with my brain or something... but I decided 'what the heck' and brought down the beast: One Night Werewolf, it was the only game I had that wasn't too complex, or had a boring theme they couldn't get into. So I brought it down. Some of them were confused, others might have thought I was weird. But I do not regret anything. After explaining the rules for them, we started to play a few rounds. They didn't understand it at first, but we did it a few more times, they started to understand it! We played the core set over and over, and we added more expansions. It was the best. I looked at the clock and saw we had been playing for SIX HOURS. Six whole hours of the same game. I couldn't believe it. That had been longer than any of my Mage Knight solo conquests! They were astonished by the time, so we stopped and went to sleep. I don't know if we would have kept playing if we hadn't seen the time, but I wasn't worrying about that. My friends had asked me if we could get together and play again, this time with different games. I of course agreed to this idea, and went to sleep happy.

My Review: So, my review may be biased, this might not be my first game but it is my first game with people that aren't myself and my little brother. I came out of my shell and introduced my friends to gaming. It might seem something ridiculous to you, but in high school, everyone judges. But I'm not worried about that anymore. Thanks to people like you on these forums, I had the courage to try a game out. One Night Ultimate Werewolf is not the best game ever, but in my book it is very sentimental. It is fast, easy and fun. Anyone can get into it. Heck, me and my friends have some hilarious inside jokes that we crack out in school, (mostly revolving around the Tanner) and when our friends that couldn't make it to the party ask about what they mean, we tell them sometime they can try the game out. And that sometime will be soon. The weird thing is, not having enough players used to be my deciding factor for a game, but now the maximum of the player count catches my eye. One Night was the bridge that connected my hobbies with my friends. It is a must have in my book, it is the quintessential gateway gasme for anyone. This game had done so much for me, and I am so thankful for it.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Terebayza
United States
Coon Rapids
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent review of your gaming experience. I really am an English teacher and it’s pretty cool to see a kid write about something they are passionate about. Nicely done.

If you liked Werewolf as much as you said, check out Secret Hitler. My son loved Werewolf too (he’s 16) but has lost his mind over Secret Hitler. It’s a lot of what Werewolf is plus a little more intrigue involving the lying and deception and a deck of cards you have to draw from each round. There is a free print and play version out there if you are interested.

Welcome to the Geek!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Power
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What a great story, and well written too. It was very brave of you to put yourself out there like that and your reward is a brand new gamer group! I hope you guys have a lot of fun for many years to come. Keep us posted about what you play next!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Jacksonville Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story and good write up. You have already came to the real truth about this hobby. The best parts are the people you hang out with and the experiences you make together. The games are just the kindling to get that all going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivo van Kreveld
Netherlands
Delft
flag msg tools
mb
Nice story, thanks for writhing it down.

I feel like every kid from high school who likes board games (or even another less common hobby) should read this, as this could be so useful for them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffery Hudson
United States
Washington
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic write up. I'm glad you had such a great time with your friends.

I remember getting it with the game bug around 10 or 11 myself. I had always been interested in games, but I remember standing in a store staring at the (really) tall shelf of games and being memorized by Axis and Allies (The GM Version back in the 80's). It had that big portrait of MacArthur on it and the back box blurb asked the most important gaming question of my youth...would General MacArthur come back from the Pacific like he did in history. I was transfixed by that question. Every time we came to the store I had to stare at the box. I loved playing A&A when i finally got to a few years later...but by then that question didn't seem so important.

As for gaming and your family...it's cool they got Catan and started and still allow you to get games you want (and MK...that's impressive...i've still not gotten around to figuring my copy out yet) but the best advice I can give you is to let your brother or family (and especially your friends) choose the next game. They will surprise you with what they get and they will be far more interested in playing it.

The first game my wife chose was "Fury of Dracula - 2nd", which really surprised me. I had narrowed the list i was interested down to it and three other games. She chose Fury and promised one game. That was 15 years ago and we still love to play it every year around Halloween.

I watched Tabletop with her and she's the one who said we should get Dead of Winter, which shocked me, since she HATES zombie games. She also saw the Tokenoko episode and told me I'd be getting it for my birthday. The expansion was given to me a few years later.

But my point is...most people actually do like to play board games, they just have to discover which ones they like. It sounds like your family is willing to try so maybe see which one's they might like. And let your friends pick the next sleep over game. It really does help.

ONUW is a great starting place. We played for 3 hours our first night with nothing but the base characters suggested for your first games. we had a blast.

Good luck in your future gaming and make sure to leave reports. :)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
no law on ceres.... just cops.
badge
i keep warning you. doors and corners, kid. that's where they get you.
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story, Vincent. Don't ever be afraid to show your passion for board games-- if people are judgemental or mean about it, then they likely aren't very good friends anyway. Chances are, you'll find people who will enjoy your hobby just as much as you do.

When I was your age, I started a D&D club in my school and it became a huge success. I made friends that I've had for years in that club.

Best of luck with your gaming! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sawyer
England
flag msg tools
Thanks for the review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Maggi
United States
Loudonville
NY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NotAvailable wrote:
Disclaimer: This is my first review on the geek, although I am an avid reader on the site, I would like to do a post on my own.I am only 14 years old, but don't underestimate me. I know the rules of Mage Knight by heart. I am just as much of a gamer as you. Wish me luck!

No need to post this. It only sets the reader up to think a certain way (that he is a kid). If you didn't mention it, we wouldn't even know it. Good review.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron
United States
Ramsey
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Hey...
badge
Down here...
mbmbmbmbmb
Way to go, man! Sounds like you may have just started a gaming group!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoebe Wild
Australia
South Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
publisher
Cardboard Vault Reviews!
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for the review of ONUW, it's great to see the fun you've had with it Welcome to the hobby!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bonnie Busby
msg tools
Vincent: You show talent as a writer! May writing always be at least as important in your life as games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
hench critter
Belgium
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
NotAvailable wrote:
Disclaimer: [i]This is my first review on the geek, although I am an avid reader on the site, I would like to do a post on my own.I am only 14 years old, but don't underestimate me. I know the rules of Mage Knight by heart. I am just as much of a gamer as you. Wish me luck!

You don't need luck. You're competent enough to find your own path, even without that much luck.

And the good times are ahead. After becoming fourteen, I could find my own friends instead of have to settle for whoever came onto my path. Have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.