Subject: To the married men out there rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
bruce ross
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
Can you throw me some good suggestions for a board game for my wife and I?

To give you a reference point as to what she's looked at, she has commented on Arkham Horror but I can't remember what game it was and there seem to be a TON of them. Also, she was eyeballing Mansions of Madness.

Any other recommendations? I'd LOVE it if she's agree to try Gloomhaven with me, but I don't think she cares much for than genre and I think GH would be too much of a time sink for her (not for me...want that game for myself

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you seem to be interested in games your wife might like ... why aren't you asking the married women what they would suggest?

It might help if you provided a little more info about likes and dislikes ... other themes she likes? game complexity? game length? does it need to play more than 2? Competitive or co-op?

There are many many games that are amazing at 2. Need more info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Krauklis
Sweden
Bandhagen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to aim for genres or themes my ex liked. That’s also what I advice customers to do in the games store I work in. For instance, she got hooked on the Spartacus TV series, so when that was published I got it for her as a Christmas gift, and she loved it. Same with Firefly, which I didn’t care much for myself, though. Another plus in her book was an element of chance in a game, because it levels the playing field a little - so Merchants & Marauders went well too.

But really, go with theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian O'Loughlin
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Getting married in a month, so I suppose my experience is relevant

My wife to be and myself enjoy playing Patchwork, Carcassone, Splendor, and every once and a while I can convince her to play a hand of Dominion. She enjoys playing Rummikub so we play that one sometimes as well.

Pandemic is also a good one for co-op.

All of these are entry level and fairly cheap to pick up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Greasby
United States
Olathe
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
Walsh Code
mbmbmbmbmb
Every woman is likely going to have different taste. My wife is not a gamer. When I told her that I would be buying several board games to start our collection, she anticipated games like Sorry and Monopoly. She still does not game as much as me or our son, but she does have a few lighter games that she really likes. Those are Ticket to Ride: Europe, Castles of Mad King Ludwig, Takenoko, and Sushi Go Party!. She has played a few heavier games but does not care much for them, mainly because she is too busy learning the rules to have fun so she has little interest to play them again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Fletcher
msg tools
I am a married woman and my favourite games are Mombasa, Five Tribes, Agricola and Concordia.

It totally depends on your wife's interests and how deep a game she likes to play. We can give great recommendations but need more info.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Since she seems to be interested in the Arkham stuff... why not those games?

I agree with the above. Every woman is different. All have their own tastes. It's a lot easier to get my fiance to play games with themes she likes. Anime. Cute animals. Murdering lovecraftian hellbeasts. You know, girl stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kelso
United States
Racine
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I know a thing that my spouse has been eyeballing, this is a thing I don't over think. I get that thing. go with Mansions of Madness 2.0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bruno
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Agreed. Get Mansions of Madness 2nd Edition; it's a wonderful game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, there are a lot of married women here too!

And, yeah, if she's showing an interest in something specific, then you should probably get it for her. Otherwise she might be a teensy bit disappointed. whistle

In general, if there is a theme/IP/era that I like, I'll be interested in games associated with it. Of course, I want a good game too, and I like a lot of strategy and depth, but speaking as a woman, some of us do tend to be drawn in by the shiny aspects of a game (typically theme).

Of course, I also play crayon rail games, so... you can't really put us in a box either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
celdom wrote:
Since she seems to be interested in the Arkham stuff... why not those games?

I agree with the above. Every woman is different. All have their own tastes. It's a lot easier to get my fiance to play games with themes she likes. Anime. Cute animals. Murdering lovecraftian hellbeasts. You know, girl stuff.

This. My wife's taste in games have basically no predictive value for your wife's tastes just because they happen to share the broad demographic of "married women" any more than your tastes are predictive of mine.

Have confidence that you know you wife better than a bunch of strangers on the Internet and just get something that she has shown interest in or that you think lines up with other games he has enjoyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Tasty Bacon! Crispy Bacon! I'd get it myself but I don't have THUMBS
badge
WHERE IS IT!? Where's the BACON??
mbmbmbmbmb
Best thing is to create a Venn Diagram of games you like and those she does. Where the two intersect is where you should focus. What do you like and what does she like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mansions of Madness second edition is a fantastic choice. It's one of the few games my wife enjoys.

A tip: if possible (either by cable or casting), use a tv to display the app. It works much better if you don't have to pass around a small device and everyone can read things themselves.

I run it through Steam using a surface tablet connected by HDMI to a big tv by the gaming table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a good reason not to just, y'know, have a conversation with her about it? Maybe do some browsing together?

I agree with everyone so far who's suggested getting the game your wife has said she would like to try.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skaak
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the pete wrote:
Is there a good reason not to just, y'know, have a conversation with her about it? Maybe do some browsing together?

Who talks to their wife? That's just crazy. whistle

Seriously, though, unless you have something against it just buy the game that she's interested in (or go to a game store together, or research the Arkham Horror games and ask if one of them was the one she wanted). Or since she's pretty clearly interested in the Lovecraftian theme, find a Lovecraftian game that you would enjoy and pitch it to her.

If you want to play Gloomhaven but the commitment is higher than she's willing to go for, why not try another Legacy game? Pandemic Legacy is tons of fun, and a nice gateway into cooperative legacy games. If you both end up liking it, then you can pitch the idea of Gloomhaven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Squire
United States
Paradise
California
flag msg tools
IF YOU DON'T SEE THE FNORD IT CAN'T EAT YOU, DON'T SEE THE FNORD, DON'T SEE THE FNORD . . .
badge
‘I could tell you my adventures–beginning from this morning,’ said Alice a little timidly: ‘but it’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.’
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife likes Talisman (Revised 4th Edition), Ascension: Deckbuilding Game, Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle, and Clank!: A Deck-Building Adventure.

However, since you aren't marrying her that might not be relevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Nordstrom
United States
Emeryville
California
flag msg tools
badge
Board Games are Old School, I Be Old School
mbmbmbmbmb
bruce apparently left the post and got divorced. damn boardgames!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lizzie j
New Zealand
flag msg tools
look into my eyes...
mbmbmbmbmb
I am neither married nor a man but I have lived with my partner for 7 years and have a brain so I'm going to contribute anyway cool

My thoughts on the following games:
1. Arkham Horror - I haven't played this one, because I decided to get Eldritch Horror when it was released. Many people say it is excessively long, bloated when you use the expansions, and fiddly. However others say it provides the best thematic experience.
2. Eldritch Horror - We have a great time with Eldritch Horror and find the thematic experience great (trying to get all over the world to defeat monsters etc). I love that conditions and spells have different backs so you never quite know what the consequences of your actions will be. However, it will still take you 2-4 hours, and eventually you'll want some form of expansion.
3. Elder Sign - the lightest of these games but can take a while. Some people say it is too yahtzee like, so if you're looking into it, I'd recommend buying the app and having a go with it. Apparently one of the expansions (Gates of Arkham maybe?) makes it much more thematic.
4. Mansions of Madness: Second Edition - supposed to be very thematic and have removed most of the fiddly-ness of the original. I would love to get this one but at the moment I just don't have the time for it.

I think it really depends on what sort of experience you and your wife are after. For me, after playing Eldritch I have no need to ever try Arkham, however some people say that the horror theme comes out more in Arkham whereas Eldritch gives more of a adventure theme. I'm fine with that but you might not be. Anyway, I hope you find something that you both really enjoy!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a married woman and I play a lot of wargames. I don't get this phrasing of your post at all. If she expressed interest in Mansions of Madness why not start with that?

Or post a thread with a subject line asking women what they play if you think somehow that's relevant to your wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad B
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
acctingman wrote:
Can you throw me some good suggestions for a board game for my wife and I?

To give you a reference point as to what she's looked at, she has commented on Arkham Horror but I can't remember what game it was and there seem to be a TON of them. Also, she was eyeballing Mansions of Madness.

Any other recommendations? I'd LOVE it if she's agree to try Gloomhaven with me, but I don't think she cares much for than genre and I think GH would be too much of a time sink for her (not for me...want that game for myself

Thanks

The folks here are super helpful with recommendations, I just got dozens of great responses to my own similar query and it resulted in three games from amazon (delivered today, YAY!)

Try using the following to help the folks asking for more info:

Background:

Number of Players:

Game Length:

Complexity of Game:

Your Budget:

Genre:

Competitive or Cooperative:

Games We Like:

Mechanics We Dislike:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.