Subject: Halloween Games For Families rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
While I was busy reading through comments for Betrayal at House on the Hill for my geeklist of entertaining negative comments (I Hate It, I Hate It, I Hate It Again) I got to thinking about good Halloween games to play with my family. No one in the house is a fan of horror games or especially thematic games but for the sake of the holiday (which we all love) I thought it might be fun to play a game with the right spooky theme. Unfortunately, I don't know much about any of what's available. I found a few lists with good suggestions but the list is still pretty long.

What Will You Play For Halloween This Weekend?!
The 2017 Annual 31 days of Halloween Gaming
Happy Halloween: My Top 10 Horror Games

Could someone please recommend what they think is the best game for a family of four (the kids are old enough to play any type/difficulty of game) who just want to get into the spirit of Halloween together? Our maximum game time is usually about 90 minutes but closer to an hour is ideal.

Of the few games in this vein that we have Mysterium seems like the best bet but it's not very "Halloween-y". The Bloody Inn is on my wishlist but I don't know how much relation it has to the holiday/theme, if any.

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zach Nuss
United States
San Pedro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about King of Tokyo: Halloween? You can probably play 2-3 games in the time span you gave.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gloom I feel works nice because it asks the palyers to think up stories so it activly works to get people in the halloween mood.
Broom Service - a game about witches I didn't see on those lists
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks for the quick replies!

We actually have King of Tokyo: Halloween and Gloom. Unfortunately, neither feel particularly specific if that makes any sense. I guess what I'm looking for is an experience - all of us going through a haunted house, running from zombies, etc. - we can all share that someone else has had a positive experience with in the same context.

We do have Zombies!!! so that's always an option.

I'm checking out Broom Service now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want a good Halloween themed game that isn't spooky at all, take a look at Tricks & Treats, a very underrated card game by Emerson Matsuuchi (designer of Century: Spice Road and Specter Ops). It's a super quick card game about dividing up the candy you just got from a night of Trick-or-Treating. It actually has a surprising amount of depth for such a simple game, and it's gone over well with everyone I've played it with.

It playes 2-4 players, and is only $10 on Amazon right now.

As a side note, The Bloody Inn is an excellent game.

Also, check out Grave Business. It's a unique worker placement/ bidding game where you play as competing necromancers creating and pitting your zombies against each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
I doubt it is still available, but we still love Dark Cults. You draw cards and tell a story. One person is the protagonist trying to save the character, and the other is the antagonist trying to bring an end to the character.

Not sure if you'd like to add this to the list since its been out of print for years. Otherwise thanks for lists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
These are great! Tricks & Treats is actually not anything like what I had in mind but looks like it could actually be perfect if we end up pressed for time. I've got in in my Amazon cart already and I'm eagerly awaiting more recommendations. It's going to be awfully hard to make a final decision on this because if it was up to me I'd just buy all the games everyone suggests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Pritchett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Catacombs with the kids as it has lots of creepy monsters and the kids love it. Maybe King of Tokyo as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
I guess what I'm looking for is an experience

broom service will not give you what your looking for.
In these instances I turn to Betrayal at House on the Hill

My personal opinion on grave business is not all that good. It looks like it would be fun but the rules are a little odd and it seemed like a game that had too much meaningless conflict and not enough meat (figuratively and literally). It just feels like it needed more playtesting because the concept is fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa the Gnome
United States
West Allis
WI - Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have two boys ages almost 5 and almost 8, and these are some Halloween games I plan to play with them:

Escape from the Hidden Castle -I've had this for more than 20 years. Adults enjoy it too.

Ghostbusters: Protect the Barrier Game- Or the Original Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters

Graveyards, Ghosts & Haunted Houses- Just got a few months ago, thinky enough for older players, but easy enough at its core that the little guy can play.

Ghosts Love Candy-Haven't played yet, but recommended to me.

Ghost Blaster- Might be too young for your crowd

Master Labyrinth- This is more thinky and has a witch/wizard vibe you might like. Collecting ingredients in a labyrinth by shifting tiles.

Betrayal at House on the Hill is fun, but some of the descriptions are more gruesome so that might be a turnoff. Hope this helps a little.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Felts
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd still suggest Mysterium but you have to work a bit for the theme to pop. Dim the lights (maybe even candles), play spooky background music, the ghost can wear a black hood, etc.

Betrayal could be great but the haunts frequently are somewhat broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon H
United States
Orion Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For several years now, my friend and I have made a point of playing his copy of Crows. It's a little thinky, maybe on the frustrating side for very young players, but it's got cool crow meeples.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wesley Jones
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Highly recommend Fearsome Floors. Avoid the frankenstein monster and exit the other end! Stoopid fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I was expecting more recommendations like Betrayal at House on the Hill but I'm really happy with what was suggested.

We haven't decided for sure, but right now our frontrunners are:
mb Tricks & Treats
mb Graveyards, Ghosts & Haunted Houses
mb I Can't Even With These Monsters (which no one suggested, but seems to have some fun traditional monsters)

In the meantime, we've got Zombie Dice and Gloom on the table to play this week. I've also been looking at Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game because it seems like it can be found for pretty cheap. If anyone has more suggestions, please keep them coming! Even if we don't get to a game this year, we love holidays (we even played Dragon Parade on Chinese New Year!) and will add things to our list for down the road.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
Ghost Fightin' Treasure Hunters is a real treat of a family game. It's about as easy to play and learn as a game can be, yet it's really really hard to actually win, and can be very suspenseful and fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Village Idiot
United States
Palm Harbor
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
Thanks everyone for the recommendations! I was expecting more recommendations like Betrayal at House on the Hill but I'm really happy with what was suggested.

We haven't decided for sure, but right now our frontrunners are:
mb Tricks & Treats
mb Graveyards, Ghosts & Haunted Houses
mb I Can't Even With These Monsters (which no one suggested, but seems to have some fun traditional monsters)

In the meantime, we've got Zombie Dice and Gloom on the table to play this week. I've also been looking at Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game because it seems like it can be found for pretty cheap. If anyone has more suggestions, please keep them coming! Even if we don't get to a game this year, we love holidays (we even played Dragon Parade on Chinese New Year!) and will add things to our list for down the road.

One more game to throw into the mix that I forgot to mention last time is Spookies. It's a push-your-luck family game about a haunted house. It was one of HABA's first family games (along with Karuba and Adventure Land). Currently for sale on Amazon for $23.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dianne N.
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Cauldron, which I think could be a really good family game if you're OK with a little take-that in stealing ingredients from each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carel Teijgeler
Netherlands
Vlaardingen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If PnP is not a problem, and this game is an easy built and aimed at children:

Teh Cutest Wittle Awwpocawpse

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julie (Juju) B.
United States
Herriman
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salem 1692 can accomodate a large group and doesn't have a dark theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
While I was busy reading through comments for Betrayal at House on the Hill for my geeklist of entertaining negative comments (I Hate It, I Hate It, I Hate It Again) I got to thinking about good Halloween games to play with my family. No one in the house is a fan of horror games or especially thematic games but for the sake of the holiday (which we all love) I thought it might be fun to play a game with the right spooky theme. Unfortunately, I don't know much about any of what's available. I found a few lists with good suggestions but the list is still pretty long.

What Will You Play For Halloween This Weekend?!
The 2017 Annual 31 days of Halloween Gaming
Happy Halloween: My Top 10 Horror Games

Could someone please recommend what they think is the best game for a family of four (the kids are old enough to play any type/difficulty of game) who just want to get into the spirit of Halloween together? Our maximum game time is usually about 90 minutes but closer to an hour is ideal.

Of the few games in this vein that we have Mysterium seems like the best bet but it's not very "Halloween-y". The Bloody Inn is on my wishlist but I don't know how much relation it has to the holiday/theme, if any.

Thank you!

Not out yet, but for next year:

Fast Forward: FLEE
Fast Forward: FEAR
Simple family games where you are intentionally not supposed to read any rules at all before playing - just flip over the first card and start playing!
Not sure if it's an "experience" game like you are looking for, but, sounds pretty fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Hendricks
United States
Waxhaw
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like you, I also enjoy trying to find fun and thematic Halloween games. Although I haven't played it myself, I think the game This House Is Haunted might be just what you and I are both looking for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.