william bauer
United States
huntington beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have read 7.3 a few times now, and I am still unclear. In a country with a TAN RC marker (meaning it received the RC marker in a previous turn) - if there are no cells present, can I deploy out of that country leaving NO troops?

The exception to 7.3.1 is:

EXCEPTION: Troops may not Deploy from a Regime Change country (7.3.4.1) if it would leave fewer than five more troops there than cells.

If there are no cells, I would assume that I could deploy all cells from that country.

Also, in 7.3.5 (withdrawal) I see:

Deploy any number troops out of the Regime Change country (regardless of cells present).

This also would indicate that the only constraint on troops leaving a RC country is the number of opposing cells present - again, that would tell me that if there are no cells at all, I could deploy all troops out.

Am I missing anything here?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P. Fowler
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
We provide...
badge
The rich and powerful take what they want. We steal it back for you.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
blackcombe wrote:
I have read 7.3 a few times now, and I am still unclear. In a country with a TAN RC marker (meaning it received the RC marker in a previous turn) - if there are no cells present, can I deploy out of that country leaving NO troops?

The exception to 7.3.1 is:

EXCEPTION: Troops may not Deploy from a Regime Change country (7.3.4.1) if it would leave fewer than five more troops there than cells.

If there are no cells, I would assume that I could deploy all cells from that country.

No. 5 more than 0 is 5. So you have to leave at least 5 Troops in the country, plus 1 for each Cell present.

Quote:
Also, in 7.3.5 (withdrawal) I see:

Deploy any number troops out of the Regime Change country (regardless of cells present).

This also would indicate that the only constraint on troops leaving a RC country is the number of opposing cells present - again, that would tell me that if there are no cells at all, I could deploy all troops out.

Withdrawal is a special type of Deploy operation, which ignores the "five more Troops than Cells" requirement of Deploy. This is the only way you can remove past the minimum of 5 Troops present, provided there are no Cells in the country.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
william bauer
United States
huntington beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh! No matter how many times I read it, my brain made the same mistake!

Thanks for quick reply, will keep my VASSAL game moving.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mench
United States
Fairfax
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Another aspect of 7.3.4.1 is that the marker only stays when governance is POOR or FAIR. The green marker stays for one full turn, keeping your troops there to ensure the regime change is supported. After the end of the turn it turns tan, indicating a lasting presence supporting the government’s efforts to strengthen. Once the government is GOOD, the American support is no longer needed and if the marker is tan, it is now removed allowing the redeployment of those troops elsewhere in the world. This would also be the case if the Government falls to Islamic Rule again... the marker is still removed and the troops are fee to get out of Dodge... or stay.

So... once you complete a Regime Change, your efforts should continue to work toward strengthening the Governance to GOOD.

I do like how you can only work two Regime Changes around the world at any given time. Much like the Bush NDS of a Two-Conflict Military. Good job, Volko!

-m
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Baumel
Brazil
Curitiba
Paraná
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
CaptainMench wrote:
Another aspect of 7.3.4.1 is that the marker only stays when governance is POOR or FAIR. The green marker stays for one full turn, keeping your troops there to ensure the regime change is supported. After the end of the turn it turns tan, indicating a lasting presence supporting the government’s efforts to strengthen. Once the government is GOOD, the American support is no longer needed and if the marker is tan, it is now removed allowing the redeployment of those troops elsewhere in the world. This would also be the case if the Government falls to Islamic Rule again... the marker is still removed and the troops are fee to get out of Dodge... or stay.

So... once you complete a Regime Change, your efforts should continue to work toward strengthening the Governance to GOOD.

I do like how you can only work two Regime Changes around the world at any given time. Much like the Bush NDS of a Two-Conflict Military. Good job, Volko!

-m


Sorry to sneak in the conversation , but i´m still confuse about the RC marker:

- I can´t get troops out of a country with a marker, right? Doesn't matter if it's green or tan;

- Whats the practical function of this switch of sides? (green to tan)

Thanks!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Latto
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Calico_Jack wrote:

Sorry to sneak in the conversation , but i´m still confuse about the RC marker:

- I can´t get troops out of a country with a marker, right? Doesn't matter if it's green or tan;


You can move troops out, as long as you leave 5 more troops than cells in the country (which if there are no cells, means you still have to leave 5 troops).
Quote:

- Whats the practical function of this switch of sides? (green to tan)

Thanks!

The only effect of the marker being green is if the game ends at the end of this turn, then the resources in the green-regime-change-marker country still count towards the terrorists' score. This is why on the list of end-of-turn things, "deal new cards" shows up *before* "flip green regime change markers to brown"; if the dealing of new cards triggers the end of the game, the marker is still green.

The purpose of this rule is to stop unrealistic "the game is about to end, so I'll do a regime change, because it reduces the terrorist score, and there are no negative consequences" strategy. It's still often right to do a regime change on the next-to-last turn, but at least then you have the consequence of one turn where you are probably getting fewer cards because your troops are committed.

Sending troops in and declaring "Mission Accomplished" without any exit strategy isn't a viable strategy in real life, so it shouldn't be in the game either. Not that I'm naming any names...
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.