Subject: Owners of the first edition. Are the changes significant or minor? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rune Ørum
Denmark
Aarhus
flag msg tools
mbmb
Wondering what you guys think about the changes in the second edition. Do they fix the game completely? or merely patch an essentially flawed design?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
Norway
Oslo
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xavierjackson wrote:
Wondering what you guys think about the changes in the second edition. Do they fix the game completely? or merely patch an essentially flawed design?

I like the rule changes to make it slightly easier and speed it up, will probably apply them to 1st ed. The improvements to the artwork and graphical design is not enough to get me to go for the new edition - I play it too rarely for that, though I would like the new Desert when it comes to powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Gresik
United States
Bolingbrook
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The changes are largely aesthetic. The heroes, threat deck, etc. are all the same. There have been a few minor changes to region abilities to give players a little more advocacy, but they tweaked the epic foes in a way that takes advocacy away from the players. The changes from 1st to 2nd edition are mostly artwork, the new gimmick meeples and card layout. Very little has changed in terms of the overall game play, flow or mechanics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
I was expecting far more to be honest.
I'm not sure how such a similar game justifies a second edition.
Seems like simply an excuse to get the kinda pointless itemeeples in there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Almes
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone! I'm obviously a bit biased but I wanted to outline some of the updates. They are far from just aesthetic changes, and I think they've turned out really well in terms of improved gameplay,

The Heroes have had a lot of ability changes. Some completely overhauled, like the Warrior. The abilities in general are more useful and fun to use.

Artifacts have been 100% changed from single use to permanent abilities. Now you carry your item and can use it again and again. So, all these have changed to make them more fun to use. Since you hold onto these all game, they are now Itemeeples too.

Epic Foes are more interactive. They bite back now, and have cool effects you need to plan around. They'll toss you around and beating them requires more planning. The new Giant is one of my favorites, where you climb on him but he can toss you off.

Dire Monsters have had some changes, too. Not as many, but some tweaks here as well.

The Region's have been almost completely updated. The new powers let you mitigate bad draws on the deck, and all for some really cool planning. You can pull off some cool combos if you all work together.

Gameplay wise, when regions fall you now pull cards from the turn deck. This has a subtle but cool effect that progresses the game better. It makes it a bit easier, but the Epic Foes are harder, so it balances out well.

Also, when regions fall you get bonus actions.

And, new art and graphic design every piece. The graphic design is clearer, with updated turn references and stuff. And, I think the new art really pops.

For addition info, the campaign page has some nice videos on more detailed changes. So consider this just an overview
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coe
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.GamelynGames.com
badge
www.GamelynGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
The changes are definitely more than mainly just aesthetic.

If you really want to know more about the changes then please take the time to watch these videos below.

Rahdo runs through the changes here:

I run through the changes here:

I hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Macdonald
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The updates look great imo. Little changes to game-play can significantly change the feel. Backed yesterday!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.