BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Are Ticket to Ride and Blokus redundant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Packer

Massachusetts
msg tools
-I've never played TtR.

-Played Blokus with in-laws last night, which they enjoyed a lot.

-Thought maybe they would enjoy TtR:Europe (they are from Europe).

Are these games different enough to warrant playing both? Not just tracks and blocking each other? Or stick with Blokus and find something else?

Thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Long
Canada
Whitby
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
very different. While both inherently play for points and you can block other players from succeeding, there is a lot more to the how/why between the two games to make them very different experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Ticket is a good gateway game for non-gamers.

I have Qwirkle, and I feel Blokus and Qwirkle could be seen as somewhat similar style game. You need to lie down tiles to fit. So for me Blokus is redundant. Ticket should be in almost every game collection!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not redundant. If the idea is a game that will mostly be played with 2 people, though, Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries may be a better choice than Ticket to Ride: Europe. (Have both, greatly prefer TTR:NC for 2 or 3 people.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
REFEREE MADNESS
badge
I'm wasting your time!
mbmbmbmbmb
JPacker555 wrote:
Are Ticket to Ride and Blokus redundant?

Only if you have multiple copies of each.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Your pieces need to (or should eventually) touch - that's about the only similarity between the 2.

Blokus is a great choice for an abstract that plays more than 2 players - I prefer Blokus Trigon because is can play 3 or 4 equally well, while Blokus doesn't work well with 3. Qwirkle is quite similar, but I would still not say those 2 are redundant. I think Ingenious makes Qwirkle redundant, but my wife seems to like Qwirkle more. I prefer both to Blokus/Blokus Trigon.

I consider Ticket to Ride still the perfect gateway game for non-gamers. It introduces set collection, route building, secret objectives, some player interaction but minimal, player-dependent game ending conditions/pace, and more. I still have fond memories of years of playing Catan as my gateway to hobby gaming in the early-mid 2000's before I discovered BGG, but TtR is the better gateway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
lacreighton wrote:
Not redundant. If the idea is a game that will mostly be played with 2 people, though, Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries may be a better choice than Ticket to Ride: Europe. (Have both, greatly prefer TTR:NC for 2 or 3 people.)

Sounded to me like he wanted the next 4-player game for he and his spouse to play together with his in-laws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't think of them as being redundant at all. The cards add a different aspect to TTR and it has more theme. And Blokus isn't exactly network building (connecting point A to point B), it's more of an area control/blocking game. Also TTR scales better. Both are fun, light games though. And if you enjoy Blokus then TTR would probably be a good next step.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Are Ticket to Ride and Blokus redundant?
So vastly different that I would have to ask, whatever made you think so?

Quote:
Not just tracks and blocking each other?
That as a comparison would be highly superficial. It would only take a few minutes of reading more about TtR to get a better understanding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And what about Carcassonne, already in your collection ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan Keane wrote:
lacreighton wrote:

Sounded to me like he wanted the next 4-player game for he and his spouse to play together with his in-laws.

I couldn't tell if this was the plan, or if he wanted them to have something to play for when he wasn't there ....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
McLean
Virginia
flag msg tools
Agree with everyone else.

I love Blokus and wish I had people to play with. Great four player game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Newhero
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Completely different, I'm not even sure where the comparison came from. Ticket to Ride is a route building, semi-hand management game, where as blockus is an abstract-stratergy tile laying game. (Also, Blokus Trigon is better).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.