Recommend
5 
 Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Virgin Queen» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can a player self-assassinate? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Maginity
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a recent game, England attempted to assassinate Elizabeth in order to execute Mary upon failure of the assassination. The maneuver worked as intended, but was it legal? We didn't see where the rules prohibited self-assassinate.
9 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
How Machiavellian.
6 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
I don't see it either. Maybe an oversight? It doesn't seem quite right. Even if killing Mary does mean -1 VP to England.

Another option would be to self-assassinate to gain 1 VP. Move your leader to a non home space to have one less defence die. Probably best to do with your last card in case of success - unless you are holding a mandatory card, which you would rather not play (like Dutch Revolt, Enterprise of England or a minor activation card where you stand to loose the minor).

A bit strange though, that you are then both attacker and defender.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Germany
Würzburg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmb
mmaginity2 wrote:
In a recent game, England attempted to assassinate Elizabeth in order to execute Mary upon failure of the assassination. The maneuver worked as intended, but was it legal? We didn't see where the rules prohibited self-assassinate.


Brilliant!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Maginity
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Randor20 wrote:
I don't see it either. Maybe an oversight? It doesn't seem quite right. Even if killing Mary does mean -1 VP to England.

Another option would be to self-assassinate to gain 1 VP. Move your leader to a non home space to have one less defence die. Probably best to do with your last card in case of success - unless you are holding a mandatory card, which you would rather not play (like Dutch Revolt, Enterprise of England or a minor activation card where you stand to loose the minor).

A bit strange though, that you are then both attacker and defender.

Yes, both attacker and defender. The dice were counted out for both sides and rolled (as I recall, they had to roll twice). As hoped, the assassination failed, Mary was executed, and England took the -1VP hit. It was a desperation move due to Spain being on the verge of mounting a major attack upon England.

While Ed may eventually rule against us, such tactics have a long history:
http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2017/08/false-flag-thousands-...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Randor20 wrote:
I don't see it either. Maybe an oversight? It doesn't seem quite right. Even if killing Mary does mean -1 VP to England.

Another option would be to self-assassinate to gain 1 VP. Move your leader to a non home space to have one less defence die. Probably best to do with your last card in case of success - unless you are holding a mandatory card, which you would rather not play (like Dutch Revolt, Enterprise of England or a minor activation card where you stand to loose the minor).

A bit strange though, that you are then both attacker and defender.


This is the reason I imagine it either isn't or won't be allowed. Would be too easy to grab a VP by assassinating your own leader.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Kiefte
Canada
Dartmouth
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MD1616 wrote:
This is the reason I imagine it either isn't or won't be allowed. Would be too easy to grab a VP by assassinating your own leader.


I disagree. There are usually other leaders that are prime targets and the disadvantage in succeeding in assassinating your own leader should be discouragement enough.

I like the idea of contriving an assassination attempt against Elizabeth for the sole purpose of killing off Mary Queen of Scots. Sounds totally plausible.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Davidson
United States
Orland Park
IL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What...are we crossing Pax Profiriana into VQ now?

A. Where is the question on "how is the same power both the attacker and defender"? Ok, now I have stated it and it's rather perplexing here.

B. If you wish to set this up, merely go to another power and have them spend 2cp on a 'poor' attempt...perhaps get the Protestant to shoot at Elizabeth for you (as England) so you can then have the 'right' to eliminate MaryQS. But to do it yourself....Though, I would laugh and laugh if someone else response played Stafford & Hand Guns on this play and Elizabeth got herself shot by the Protestants....

"Burleigh...you said the pistol would be empt...." Last words of Elizabeth Rex.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.