Dora Kardos
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Hello Guys,

I'm doing a small research for my studies. My topic is exchanging board games. I've started doing some mapping and I would like to ask your help. I appreciate your answers.

1. Q: What do you think, why somebody rents a board game? What's the reason not to buy a game or borrow it from a friend, but to rent it? (possibly there isn't just one answer to this question)

2. Q: Do you think there is any typical occasion when someone rents a game instead of buying it or borrowing it from a friend?

Thank you,
D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

1. Q: What do you think, why somebody rents a board game? What's the reason not to buy a game or borrow it from a friend, but to rent it? (possibly there isn't just one answer to this question)

Mainly I suspect the cost of buying it and a desire to try it out first (and no mate has it). Other then that I can only assume that no one will lend them games.

Quote:
2. Q: Do you think there is any typical occasion when someone rents a game instead of buying it or borrowing it from a friend?

I suppose it maybe a request to play it form a special occasion (such as a horror themed game for Halloween).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shaun Giller
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I would rent a game, if it was relatively cheap, to try it out before I buy it. I would hate to spend $40 - $50 - $90 on a game to find out I don't like it. If I could rent it for $10 that'd be amazing.

2. I am leery to loan out my games. No one takes care of them like I do. Most people I know that like to play games don't have a large variety, and those of us that do would hesitate to loan them out. Those people could rent them.

I know of one gamer that rents games when friends come to town so they could play longer/more player count games than they have in their personal collection.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dora Kardos
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
thank you Giller your answers. it's the same with me actually, I could save some money with renting the games, not buying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dora Kardos
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thank you for your answers Boaty. PS: You just made me thinking, what should I borrow for Halloween. Actualy it's a pretty good idea, I have never thought to rent or buy such a theme bpard game like for halloween, christmas, etc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yvet Veltkamp
Netherlands
Amsterdam
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rental games
For a kids party I could imagine people to rent a game. It should be childproof ofcourse
Also games you can only play once (Escape games) but are replayable for others.
Expansive games I want to try out could be an option as well.
You could make a 'rental buy' option; if someone likes it they can buy it and do not have to pay the rental fee. Say 7th continent, I would like to try a session and then buy it when I like it. I would really do that because I am very hesitant to back the Kickstarter while I desperately want to try this game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Dorotthy wrote:

I might be missing something but I'm unaware of renting board games being a big thing. I think the relative limited cost of games, their target market/nature and their high replayability makes a renting model, in most situations, unviable.

I suppose many of the reasons why people used to rent video games are potentially applicable.

Hypothetically reason not to rent and not buy:
1. Actual game is expensive and you want to try it out.
2. You don't have a large collection of games and want to try out a number in an intensive setting (holidays, guests).
3. You don't have space for a collection.
4. Renting gives you the quickest/easiest access to the game. (Conventions, Hotels, out at venue(pub) ).
5. Your income is limited but you desperately want to experience the game (think children and renting video games).
6. You're a member of some sort of renting club.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.