Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Elliot
United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi all!

I am currently lucky enough to be getting lots of plays in at 2-players. However, finances are trickier, so I don't get to buy new games very often. With this in mind, I was wondering what games people would recommend for 2 players that offer lots of variability?

Just a bit of background. I'm relatively new to the hobby, so there are lots of games I've never tried, including games that may be slightly 'dated' but don't seem as such to me. My favourite game is Dominion, which just hit its 100th play today. I love the way every game is completely different, with the differing set-ups making the game hugely replayable. I'd be very interested in games that have similar variable set-ups (i.e. massively different starting points each game), but am also interested in hearing about any games that people feel are particularly replayable and, if possible, why they're replayable.

I enjoy most types of games, with my favourites including Dominion, Inis, Agricola, Viticulture, Great Western Trail, The Resistance, Dead of Winter, Imperial Settlers, Splendor, Tzolkin, Lords of Waterdeep, Five Tribes, and Biblios. I'm less interested in cooperative games unless they involve traitor mechanics or have individual objectives too.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garrett Grenier
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With regard to "lots of variability"
Gloomhaven
The 7th Continent
(Both pricey games however)

My top 2 player games:
Mr. Jack
Raptor
The Castles of Burgundy
The Battle for Hill 218
Star Wars: Rebellion
Star Wars: The Card Game or any other Fantasy Flight LCG that you fancy
Star Realms a lot of "cheaper" expansions and card sets to keep it interesting

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Langewisch
United States
Englewood
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
www.ludolodge.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Race for the Galaxy is one that you can sink a ton of time into with 2 players, especially if you pick up some of the expansions. A little more learning curve than Dominion, but it provides an experience that I haven't tired of even after 300+ plays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray S
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Summoner Wars is always good for two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sevitrm wrote:

That was my first thought as well, but replayability comes from number of factions, and factions... well, they're costly. If the OP wants replayable games to save money, SW is probably not the one.

7 Wonders Duel is a game you can play over and over;

Santorini, with the number of God cards, will probably see 100 plays as well without getting old.

Onitama gives you 5 actions out of about 30 every game (+20 with the expansion), and even changing just one can change the game a lot. IT's one I usually play 4-5 times in a row when I get it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Long
Canada
Whitby
ON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
looks like you have Carcassonne? I'd say find an inexpensive expansion and keep the fun alive with that.
Still, star realms/hero realms is good
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for:
Carcassonne
The Castles of Burgundy
Star Wars: Rebellion

Take a look at:
At the Gates of Loyang
Glass Road
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juhan Voolaid
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jaipur
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
3 Minute Boardgames
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spirit Island Few games have as much replay-ability and variability as this one. It's co-op though, but there are a lot of spirits/powers/scenarios and invaders.

But it is on the complicated side. It's not the easiest game to learn, but once you do its amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You mentioned the finances so I thought I would mention that there are a lot of good games that can be played with two or more players with a standard deck of cards, a Rage deck, and a 6Nimmt deck. You can get a lot of gameplay for less than $20.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Terraforming Mars
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small although the new edition coming out with expansions already added in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Creighton
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Most played 2 player games around here:

Innovation
Glory to Rome (but OOP now, I fear)

These two are ones where you base your strategy on what cards you draw, and there are a many, many, many ways to succeed.

Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries
This is a more cutthroat 2 or 3 p TTR game.

The Ravens of Thri Sahashri <-- this is a coop, but very different from the usual sort of thing, as the point of the exercise is that you cannot communicate with each other except through card selection. It is the most recent purchase, so it may be too early to tell if it will become a 2p champion like the above 3, but it is looking good.

Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan
The replayability here is that your wretched allies/vassals aren't really all that dependable, or loyal -- which is historically accurate. So you cannot 'just play this one like I did the last time'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion is awesome! I was about to suggest Agricola and then read you already have it.

Race for the Galaxy is a good suggestion.

For a dueling card game that is extremely cheap, check out Epic Card Game. It has a steep learning curve and the rulebook is bad, but it has amazing variety and depth. It is basically a simplified version of Magic: the Gathering. If you do a draft before the actual game starts, your deck will be different every time you play, and you will find new synergies and learn to play around the cards you passed to your opponent. Lots of variety and depth.

Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization is quite long (2-3 hours for a 2 player game when both are experienced), but it is worth the time and rule investment. It is a civilization building game where the cards that come out are the same every game, but you don't know in which order. This means that you can go for a certain strategy, but need to constantly adapt if a key card comes out particularly early or late. You also need to react to what your opponent is doing while planning ahead. There is a lot to juggle, and the game can punish mistakes severely. No two games play out the same, and after about 30 games now, I still feel like a total noob.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elliot
United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Lots of great suggestions here, thanks guys!

Was thinking of getting Race for the Galaxy as it was, so good to see it being suggested here. Looks like a game with lots of depth.

I will look into Innovation more, as well as The Castles of Burgundy and Santorini. It seems like the price is particularly high for Santorini and Terraforming Mars, perhaps because they're newer games, so tempted to wait a while to see if they drop. Summoner Wars looks interesting too, and the Master Set would be the way to go it seems, but it might be hard to not buy more if sucked in! Not sure if Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization would be too long for my Dad and girlfriend (main two gaming partners), but will have a look.

Carcassonne is a game I have and enjoy, but my Mum isn't so keen and it doesn't see as many plays when there are just two of us, so might hold off at the moment with the expansions. Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small is a game I own already too, though it's dried up after 25 plays or so - really need to get my hands on the expansions, still hoping they reprint those separately as well as reprinting the game with the expansions in it!

Would people warn against playing with just the base set of Android: Netrunner? Is it the kind of game that needs much more to be added in order to be replayable?

Edit: Some more Uwe Rosenberg would also be good - Glass Road looks interesting. Is Ora et Labora sufficiently different from Agricola to be worth getting?

Thanks again though guys, lots of useful stuff so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't even like Android: Netrunner with a bigger card pool. But in general, LCGs need more than just one Core Set before they shine; a single Core Set always feels like a glimpse of the real game, a shadow of what is waiting for you.

Glass Road is a good game with a very clever resource mechanic, and anticipating your opponent's actions feels a bit like in Race for the Galaxy. Somehow, I never played it very often, though it is good.

Ora et Labora felt very different from Agricola to me. It is a lot more sandbox-y in that the game doesn't constrain and force you as much. Also, there are loads of different resources and production chains, even too many for me. Actually, I didn't like Ora et Labora much, it was too open for me. I prefer the tightness of Agricola.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first suggestion would also be Race for the Galaxy, you'll get hundreds of plays out of it.

Of course, in terms of abstracts Go is a good option, otherwise try Hive Pocket, or TZAAR.

Another option is Twilight Struggle, but each play is long, so that may not fit with your tastes. Glass Road is also a great option with a farming theme.

In terms of coops, Hanabi is super cheap and has a ton of play. Otherwise Shadowrun: Crossfire is a great option, although Dragonfire is an updated version with a fantasy setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Koneko: A PvP worker placement game set in a very Feline Feudal Japan........
mbmbmbmbmb
Castles of Burgundy
Jump Drive
Terraforming Mars
The Networks
Caverna
Waggle Dance
Outlive

Thats 7 games that are played very regularly in our house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ell131 wrote:
still hoping they reprint those separately as well as reprinting the game with the expansions in it!

Companies tend not to do that. More so when it is a different company doing the new edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colour Wolf
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Strong agreement on Race for the Galaxy and The Castles of Burgundy. Others that I love at 2 players

Battle Line
Grand Austria Hotel
Nations

And a new one that is fun so far

The Fox in the Forest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Legendary wrote:
Race for the Galaxy is one that you can sink a ton of time into with 2 players, especially if you pick up some of the expansions. A little more learning curve than Dominion, but it provides an experience that I haven't tired of even after 300+ plays.

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neal McClatchey
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are plenty of great games that play great with 2 but can have more!

Some of my favorites:

2+
Suburbia
Great city building game with 2 players but can have up to 4 (5 with expansions)

San Juan
A fast and fun worker placement type game. Very beginner friendly.

Kahuna
Fast and fun area control game.

7 Wonders Duel
Awesome. Just awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin R
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JVallerand wrote:
sevitrm wrote:

That was my first thought as well, but replayability comes from number of factions, and factions... well, they're costly. If the OP wants replayable games to save money, SW is probably not the one.

The other thing is that Summoner Wars is terrible.

RftG is hands down the best value, because it's something like $20 and will last 100 plays with the base game alone, hundreds more with The Gathering Storm expansion alone.

Roll for the Galaxy is also ridiculously awesome.

Not a bad idea to think about abstracts here...Hive Pocket is super cheap and excellent. Also The Duke. Frankly, if your skill levels are not too far apart, why not just go with Chess or Go?

In a very different direction, Seasons is quite excellent with 2 players.

+1 Castles of Burgundy
+1 Mr. Jack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/206691/you-and-me-and-cof...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JVallerand wrote:
sevitrm wrote:

That was my first thought as well, but replayability comes from number of factions, and factions... well, they're costly.

While getting everything does add up, the two main boxes are solid deals. The individual faction decks can be had for cheap. I have picked them up for roughly $7 if not cheaper. Now try doing that with an LCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Super Turtle
Greece
Athens
flag msg tools
My shell is bigger than your apartment
badge
Speed is overrated
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try add to Carcassonne a couple of expansions like Inns and Cathedrals and Traders and Builders. With them I never get tired of playing Carcassonne.

Also you should consider Fields of Arle. It's a 2p strictly (can hold up to 3 player with the upcoming expansion) euro where each player creates his farm. It's from the same designer Agricola has . Imo it's a better game than Agricola, especially for 2 players (I love both games).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.