BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: PvP games we might like, if we like Star Realms rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Heather Stanley
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
The last few months my husband and I have been playing games that are simple and fast. I love the Gallerist but after work and school I'm jusst not up for it. I've bought several lighter games and Star Realms in particular has been a big hit. So I would like to get another PvP game but I'm not sure which to choose.

Currently in my cart is Hero Realms (for obvious reasons), Pixel Tactics and an Ashes expansion.

Key points: My husband does not like the game or card rules to be very complicated. Android:Netrunner has never been a success and Epic doesn't go over well. If the card text uses a lot of lingo that must be understood rather than plain English, DH is not into it. We like Ashes but the build is a bit slow and it's not as simple as Star Realms. I like the Aradel character but the others much less so.

So: simple set up with clear card text, play in <40 minutes, fast moving, and the ability to smash each other to smithereens.

Are one of the games above a perfect fit? Something else maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sweeney
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Summoner Wars: Master Set? It may push your time limit a bit, but it's fighty and has easy to understand special abilities on the cards.

Also, Blue Moon Legends is a back and forth card battle with asymmetric factions and simple text. Hmmm, but there are some icons and key words... so maybe not. Worth looking at though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Stanley
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
We've looked at Summoner Wars and DH never went for it. I'll check out Blue Moon legends though.

We deal with the icons on Race for the Galaxy, so we can do it, but I'm really looking for a 30 minute throw-down where we can lay down our cards and "pew pew pew" at each other. So far Star Realms is the only game that has scratched that itch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hstanley wrote:
Key points: My husband does not like the game or card rules to be very complicated. Android:Netrunner has never been a success and Epic doesn't go over well. If the card text uses a lot of lingo that must be understood rather than plain English, DH is not into it.

He's not going to like Pixel Tactics. The entire game is convoluted card abilities and interactions. It's fun, but you will need a different opponent. (I think there's an app coming?)

Unfortunately, my favorite card games all have complicated rules and/or interactions, so finding a suggestion is tough. If it doesn't have to be a card game maybe something like Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation? It's certainly PvP, it's quick, the pieces and rules are easy to grasp, and it's fun. You have to enjoy bluffing though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lisa Miller
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about DC Comics Deck-Building Game: Rivals – Batman vs The Joker?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Seitz

Brooklyn
New York
msg tools
Thunder & Lightning has been the biggest hit for my gf, whose other favorite is Star Realms. We have tried a fair number of two player card games and keep coming back to that one.

It's got fun conflict and isn't too complicated but with enough depth to feel fresh after many plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.