Subject: demo charge rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Bomann
United States
Los Gatos
California
flag msg tools
I am a new ASL player and am having a bit of trouble using Demolitions Charges. I, quite simply, either don’t get the appropriate strategy or the rules for the DC. My teams seem to get struck down every time. Is there a strategy someone might be willing to share? Is there a smart way to deploy this support weapon? Most of my play is solo if that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Demo charges are notoriously difficult to use against live targets, mainly because they draw so much fire to the placer.

some options
- use Assault move if possible when placing
- try and draw the target's initial Def fire
- use DCs in thrown mode from upper windows (generally a defending option only)
- place them in building levels under enemy, looking to rubble the upper floors.
- give the DC to the Commissar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
Drive a buttoned up vehicle into the hex in bypass, then stick the demo charge in while the unit in the hex can't fire out. Someone got me with that last week.

Smoke the target hex with ordnance.

Set the DC in a hex the enemy will have to enter and keep a unit close enough to set it off.

Use the DC to absorb defensive fire and then conduct the assault with other units. Some times you can force the opponent to choose between a flamethrower a DC and a stack with a leader, etc.

Don't forget they can be used to create breaches in row houses and fortified locations.

Edit: Note above about commisar reminds me that heroes make great running backs for the DC football.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don't make me throw this thing!
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:
Drive a buttoned up vehicle into the hex in bypass, then stick the demo charge in while the unit in the hex can't fire out.

If moved the same turn (and thus can't move out of the hex before the AFPh), wouldn't that also leave the AFV open to attack from the DC?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Sadler
United States
Olney
Maryland
flag msg tools
From the Halls of Montezuma...
badge
...to the Shores of Tripoli...
mbmbmbmbmb
A23.5 protects the vehicle from the DC.

Edit for people that don't live with their rulebook in their hand: A23.5:In order for a DC attack to affect an AFV, it must be predesignated as being made against the AFV. A DC can affect an AFV only if it is the primary target of that DC attack...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark McG
Australia
Penshurst
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:

Edit for people that don't live with their rulebook in their hand: A23.5:In order for a DC attack to affect an AFV, it must be predesignated as being made against the AFV. A DC can affect an AFV only if it is the primary target of that DC attack...

this is where I think ASL crosses over into rules sleeze land, AFV freeze sleeze, followed up by an equally sleezy DC placement protected by the (immune) AFV.

I don't like bypass movement I've decided.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right, they are hard to pull off, but they are nice when you do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadir Elfarra
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Don't make me throw this thing!
mbmbmbmbmb
BeatPosse wrote:

Unless you rubble a building it's bypassing, I suppose, which _would_ affect it, I believe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.