Popular Tags: [View All]
Sarah Chapman
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My lesson after one play: don't underestimate Misery.

I made it through the first chapter, which took about 4-5 hours solo (with a couple of short breaks). Right before the end of the first chapter one of my characters hit level 4 Misery and died. Then, I rolled a 1 on the black die, which made every other character a level 4 Misery as well. And, one by one... they all killed themselves...

Wow. What a shock! I sat there staring at the board thinking surely that isn't how this game would end!? Pretty sure my jaw hit the floor as I realized what was happening.

I thought I was doing pretty well, fatigue and hunger were kept under control. Nobody was ill or wounded. I didn't expect Misery to be as big of a deal I guess.

Even with that ending, I still had the urge to start playing a new game immediately. I really enjoyed this and found it easy to pick up and learn. Now I get to re-read all the BGG posts to be sure I played everything correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PrefectSarah wrote:

Or fatigue.
Or hunger.
Or wounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jyhne
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Coren wrote:
PrefectSarah wrote:

Or fatigue.
Or hunger.
Or wounds.

I get your point. You should never underestimate any of these. But I feel wounds and misery are harder to control that hunger and especially fatigue.
Fatigue can be controlled by resting and there are many ways to get food.
But wounds (and illness) needs hard-to-get ingredients and a lucky draw from the fate deck. It hard to lower misery as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Greenaway
United Kingdom
Blackpool
Lancashire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Such a great game isn't it : )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah Chapman
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jyhne wrote:
It hard to lower misery as well.

As far as I can tell, the ONLY way to lower misery is with the chair. Which I have yet to build in the 3 games I've played. My next game, I'll be prioritizing building the chair first and see if that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
danny kessel
Netherlands
Breda
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mbmb
PrefectSarah wrote:
jyhne wrote:

As far as I can tell, the ONLY way to lower misery is with the chair. Which I have yet to build in the 3 games I've played. My next game, I'll be prioritizing building the chair first and see if that helps.

Doesn't alcohol also help? Just get them drunk as F... though they do get tired because of it I believe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Grey
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
egg_citizen wrote:
PrefectSarah wrote:
jyhne wrote:

Doesn't alcohol also help? Just get them drunk as F... though they do get tired because of it I believe.

The chair with books is my go-to means of softening misery in most games, the radio is an option as an emergency backup (not really what it's there for though), Alcohol works in a pinch...but Zlata with a guitar is probably my favorite choice when available. Give the girl an instrument and misery almost ceases to be an issue. (It's dependent on fate cards so it's not entirely predictable, but misery drops reliably enough with it that I rarely see anyone's get above 2 when she's around. Others can use a guitar, but Z's the only one that I'd go out of my way to get one for.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.