Hide
7 Posts

Fabled Fruit» Forums » General

Subject: Does the fabled system make sense or just a gimmick? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Panu Trivej
msg tools
For those who have played the game, does the system actually contribute to an interesting gameplay? Can you accomplish the same thing just by a random setup ala dominion? I read through some threads here, and people mention how the order of the location cards actually ensure an interesting enough combination. Is that really the case?

Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Eccles
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I,ve played through to the end twice already and am over half way through the next run through (I've played almost 100 games).

Yes you can accomplish a similar thing with Dominion, recently I've taken to playing Dominion in a Fabled Fruit way: each new game I randomly choose 1 stack to take out and replace it with 1 random unused stack.

I do intend to try Fabled Fruit with random ordering of locations next time through but I understand that I run the risk of creating broken combinations where no one can get more fruit cards and therefore no one can buy juices and bring new locations in (that would be rather unlucky though).

The real strength of Fabled Fruit is that it brings in new things to discover, which can keep gamers interested, in a game that is light enough for people who rarely play games.

I recommend reading Ender Wiggins' review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jade_alarm wrote:
I do intend to try Fabled Fruit with random ordering of locations next time through but I understand that I run the risk of creating broken combinations where no one can get more fruit cards

This seems very unlikely, since most locations let you take 1 fruit card if you can't do their custom action!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Eccles
New Zealand
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It wouldn't be at all likely, but it would be possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jade_alarm wrote:

Hmm... then it occurs to me that it would be unlikely but possible even with the location deck in standard order. (I.e. if players only make juices from locations which always let you take a fruit card, and never make juices from the (rather few) locations which don't always let you take a card.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
van jupiter wrote:

For those who have played the game, does the system actually contribute to an interesting gameplay? Can you accomplish the same thing just by a random setup ala dominion? I read through some threads here, and people mention how the order of the location cards actually ensure an interesting enough combination. Is that really the case?

Thank you.

The game is designed to flow from simple mechanics to more complicated, so that you feel a sense of progression between games, and to keep the game easy to learn at the beginning but still have more depth and challenge over time. So the intention behind the two systems is very different. Variety vs progression.

Also, the field changes DURING the game, according to the players' choices. So it's not just during the setup. For instance, a card may have a really useful power, but be easy to turn into juice. Players are likely going to make it into juice quickly causing it to disappear, even though they may have liked to use that power more. And then it's gone "forever", until the game is reset. But maybe the next card has something useful and is hard to juice. So it will stick around long enough for players to really rely on it's power as a fundamental part of the game's strategy. But eventually it will probably go away as well.

The way the game balances using a card for it's power and taking the card away as points is the most interesting part to me. And that effects the current game and subsequent games in a cool way.

russ wrote:
jade_alarm wrote:

Hmm... then it occurs to me that it would be unlikely but possible even with the location deck in standard order. (I.e. if players only make juices from locations which always let you take a fruit card, and never make juices from the (rather few) locations which don't always let you take a card.)

Yeah I've thought about this before. I think the way incentives are set-up this may not be happened, but it might be fun to try and play the game "wrong" and see if it can be broken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
saluk wrote:
[…] it might be fun to try and play the game "wrong" and see if it can be broken.

It's always fun to try and break a game (if all involved agree on that).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.