Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During setup for each round, the rules state:

Quote:
Fill the Fishing Areas with Fishing Spot cards, drawing and revealing them in the order Clam -> Prawn -> Mackerel -> Sea Bream. Place one face-up Fishing Spot card per Area, starting closest to the Harbor and continuing out toward the sea.

There are 4 types of Fishing Spot cards, but 6 Fishing Areas. So how are the 4 Fishing Spots to be allocated to the 6 Areas? Do I repeat the pattern starting with Clams in Area 5?

I wonder if I'm reading the rules for "1 draw" cards correctly. It seems to indicate that more than one card may be placed in a single Area (an "extra card" in the "current" area), but instead does it mean that I should place another card of the same type in the "next" Area, such that there is only ever one card per Area?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Salamon
United States
Escondido
California
flag msg tools
badge
When did this overtext thing happen? Am I supposed to think of something clever to put here?
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen the rules for the second edition, only the first edition.

It says to draw one fish card of each type and place them one per spot starting with the harbour and continuing out towards the sea. If the card you draw has the "1 draw" text then you draw a second card of that fish type but it goes in a new space. Clams and Sea Breams do not have any cards with "1 draw" on them, so it is only possible to have 4-6 ocean spots filled with fish cards at the start of a turn. If you only get four then it would seem that only four fishing areas are available that turn. You do not start again putting clams in space 5 or 6.

If you watch the Essen 2014 overview video, that is what Simon does when quickly explaining the game.

It isn't clear at all, but I think the graphic design reinforces this interpretation since the color of the background on the cards changes as you get deeper into the ocean.

But, it isn't clear. And I haven't seen the Second Edition rules. I've played that there can be 4-6 fishing spots available each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd F
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Mark!

It's hard to understand how this got past blind testing, but the rules in the second edition are very confusingly written (emphasis mine):

Quote:
If you draw a "1 draw" card for an Area, draw and place one extra card into the current Area before moving on to the next Area. If the extra card you draw is a second "1 draw,” place the card in the current area. Ignore the "1 draw" instruction and move on to the next Area for the next Fish card.

The rules clearly make it sound like you are supposed to place an extra card into the same slot as the card you just drew. But by "current area", they must (unintuitively) mean not the area you just placed a card into, but the next area which immediately technically became "current" after placing the previous card.

Instead, I suggest the rules should read the following way:

Quote:
If you draw a "1 draw" card for an Area, draw and place a card from the same deck into the next Area also. If the second card you draw in this manner is a "1 draw” card, ignore the "1 draw" instruction and move to the next deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.