Subject: helping from different locations? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
man i've been struggling with these rules for about 3 hours or so now, and i'm totally lost (in spite of the fact that i thought i knew my way around pathfinder pretty well).

anyway: as near as i can tell, i don't have to be at the same location as another player to assist them with my left or right attribute, because it only matters if they're physically sitting next to me? so even if bob is on the other side of town, since he's IRL sitting to my right, i can assist him with my right skill (or my right slotted fragment powers). is this correct? it really feels wrong, but i can't find anywhere in the rules where i've misunderstood this (TBH, i wouldn't be surprised if i missed it somewhere though because i can barely see straight at this point)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: assisting at different locations?
Haven't played yet but read the rules and saw a playthrough and it seems like you are right Richard. I guess you could give it a thematic twist to explain and don't forget to draw that card (can't remember the type name) which influences the encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: assisting at different locations?
so something like the murderboard that says put into your neighbor's deck... i can do that even though my neighbor is miles away from me on the other end of town?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Sandifer
United States
Lutherville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
as near as i can tell, i don't have to be at the same location as another player to assist them with my left or right attribute, because it only matters if they're physically sitting next to me?

Yes, that's correct. Though I don't see this as any more unthematic than being able to bless anyone at any location in Pathfinder. Or using your bow to assist a character at another location, even though they're in the next county. It's mechanically interesting, even if it's thematically incongruous.

The latest KS update contains video links, including a 3-hour playthrough that covers most of the bases:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/loneshark/the-apocrypha...

Also, here's a thread that explains the primary differences between Apocrypha and Pathfinder:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1783329/comparisons-pathfin...

Good luck! The game's fun, even if the rules don't always come together perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wkover wrote:
rahdo wrote:
as near as i can tell, i don't have to be at the same location as another player to assist them with my left or right attribute, because it only matters if they're physically sitting next to me?

Yes, that's correct. Though I don't see this as any more unthematic than being able to bless anyone at any location in Pathfinder.

I raise my eyes to the heavens and beseech the gods to send a blessing to my fellow adventurer, wherever they may be. Always made sense to me than my 2x4 suddenly teleporting across town into your back pocket.

Quote:
Or using your bow to assist a character at another location, even though they're in the next county.

To to be fair, I haven't played later stuff in the PF games, but in the early ones, you were rarely more than a few hundred meters away. A longshot for your longbow, sure, but still makes a lot more sense to me

Quote:
It's mechanically interesting, even if it's thematically incongruous.

On that we can agree. I guess i was further confused because in the official 30 min gameplay video that you're sent to in the start deck, Liz said at least twice "since I'm in the same place as you, I'll give you this", which is apparently very misleading...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Van Hoeyveld
Belgium
Stabroek
Antwerp
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
I guess i was further confused because in the official 30 min gameplay video that you're sent to in the start deck, Liz said at least twice "since I'm in the same place as you, I'll give you this", which is apparently very misleading...

Indeed, you can move or give a card (to another player at your location) at the end of your turn. I guess you can't throw the item hundred feet away but your saint-like abilities let you somehow assist characters in those other locations if the 'allignment' is right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
so something like the murderboard that says put into your neighbor's deck... i can do that even though my neighbor is miles away from me on the other end of town?

Don't forget, your characters are saints with special abilities, including being the only ones who can see the evil of the world, they are connected, so it's a stretch, but that connection may allow for this to work. In fact it may be better to see it not as your actual item being sent, but making it so that your assist makes the other character notice one already near them via a psychic link?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambit001 wrote:
rahdo wrote:

Don't forget, your characters are saints with special abilities, including being the only ones who can see the evil of the world, they are connected, so it's a stretch, but that connection may allow for this to work. In fact it may be better to see it not as your actual item being sent, but making it so that your assist makes the other character notice one already near them via a psychic link?

I'll buy that for a dollar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Boehm
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
Gambit001 wrote:
rahdo wrote:

I'll buy that for a dollar

Sold! I will patiently await payment 😜
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Han van Oostende
Netherlands
Almelo
OV
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gambit001 wrote:
rahdo wrote:

This is exactly how I picture it maybe some of you have seen the Netflix series Sense8 (If not go watch it).In that series the characters also have a kind of psychic link and they can see/feel/help each other all over the world much in a way that apocrypha characters can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ahearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rahdo wrote:
wkover wrote:
rahdo wrote:

Yes, that's correct. Though I don't see this as any more unthematic than being able to bless anyone at any location in Pathfinder.

I raise my eyes to the heavens and beseech the gods to send a blessing to my fellow adventurer, wherever they may be. Always made sense to me than my 2x4 suddenly teleporting across town into your back pocket.

Sure, it's the gods who are helping your companion -- but how the dickens did you know he/she needed you to beseech the gods on his/her behalf at precisely *that* moment?

rahdo wrote:
Quote:
Or using your bow to assist a character at another location, even though they're in the next county.

To to be fair, I haven't played later stuff in the PF games, but in the early ones, you were rarely more than a few hundred meters away. A longshot for your longbow, sure, but still makes a lot more sense to me

As the "allow for abstractions" paragraph in the back of the rulebook has long mentioned, the longbow assist can be Harsk shooting from the Mountain Peak into the Deeper Dungeons. It's never been guaranteed to make thematic sense, and it doesn't more often than it does.

The game requires some suspension of disbelief in this sense. Apocrypha probably does as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.