Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Near and Far: Amber Mines» Forums » General

Subject: New Modules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering, as someone who has only ever played this once, do those of you who have played many times feel that the game needs to be fleshed out? These new modules sound like they are adding complexity, which may not be a bad thing. Does it feel a bit simple now and the new modules may give you some missing depth and variety?

Also, how will this effect game length? if you added all these new modules in will it make the game considerably longer or should length remain the same, changing only the number of things to do?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm looking forward to the new options on the town board, but I'm not sure about the extra card decks. Ryan and Red Raven get the benefit of the doubt from me though, and I'll be a day 1 backer.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
Ditto what Jason said. As I posted on the other thread, the General Store and Witches Hut spots almost never get used in my games. There IS a use for the GS (generally endgame when you're doing a hail mary to try to get some points out a stack of resources), but if you're playing the map right I just don't get the WH.

I also just played a 2 player character game in which neither of us touched the mine. We both had 5 skill very early and neither wanted to take a single coin to unlock the more lucrative levels for the other. I'm not sure how the mine change will affect the game, though. The mine is usually "fine", but I'd be interested in anything that would add another interesting option. Might be really cool if there was a mine storybook.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Åkerblom
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This is not an expansion, these are fixes to a not so great game. Sad to see something like this being called an expansion, it should be given to all owners of the game for a very cheap price. This is a new low for Ryan Laukat.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bracca wrote:
This is not an expansion, these are fixes to a not so great game. Sad to see something like this being called an expansion, it should be given to all owners of the game for a very cheap price. This is a new low for Ryan Laukat.


Eh, hashtag opinion much?

I definitely don't agree that the game is broken, so I reject the premise that it objectively "needs fixing". Also, is there any more info released on this, than what is available on the BGG listing for it, and the speculation in this forum? Because I hardly think that's enough to determine that "this is not an expansion, these are fixes"…
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
Bracca wrote:
This is not an expansion, these are fixes to a not so great game. Sad to see something like this being called an expansion, it should be given to all owners of the game for a very cheap price. This is a new low for Ryan Laukat.


Eh, hashtag opinion much?

I definitely don't agree that the game is broken, so I reject the premise that it objectively "needs fixing". Also, is there any more info released on this, than what is available on the BGG listing for it, and the speculation in this forum? Because I hardly think that's enough to determine that "this is not an expansion, these are fixes"…

I disagree with both of the above posts, one goes too far and dramatic, the other too defensive and not wanting to admit there's a problem. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

All the new modules are fair game, they expand or change the game, I have no issue with them and look forward to seeing them.

The new threat cards are not a new module, they are a direct replacement, hence why some people like the user above may be a bit sour about it, and I can understand that. The fact that these replacement cards exist tells its own story. At the same time, because of the medium it's thoroughly understandable how this happens, that some things can come to light after production and thousands of people actually playing the game. I'm happy enough to pay for the new set of cards to have a better experience, it's not like Ryan didn't want to release the game as good as it could be. That's why we get second editions of games, because they can always be improved and some things need 'fixing'. It's nothing to be ashamed of.

10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dylan Coulter
Canada
Fraser Valley
BC
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
I love how more content for a very fun and popular game is listed as a "new low" for a designer. Good thing companies like Fantasy Flight never release patches to games to respond to fan desires or critiques, right?

I am always so glad to see how engaged
Laukat is with his fans. I don't believe the game is broken either, but I am excited to see the mines open up a whole new path. I personally really like the Town Hall, but am very interested to see what changes.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
I guess I must have just imagined that Near and Far has been my favorite game of the year. If only someone had told me how terrible it was!
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tigerwalms wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:
Bracca wrote:
This is not an expansion, these are fixes to a not so great game. Sad to see something like this being called an expansion, it should be given to all owners of the game for a very cheap price. This is a new low for Ryan Laukat.


Eh, hashtag opinion much?

I definitely don't agree that the game is broken, so I reject the premise that it objectively "needs fixing". Also, is there any more info released on this, than what is available on the BGG listing for it, and the speculation in this forum? Because I hardly think that's enough to determine that "this is not an expansion, these are fixes"…

I disagree with both of the above posts, one goes too far and dramatic, the other too defensive and not wanting to admit there's a problem. The truth lies somewhere in the middle.

All the new modules are fair game, they expand or change the game, I have no issue with them and look forward to seeing them.

The new threat cards are not a new module, they are a direct replacement, hence why some people like the user above may be a bit sour about it, and I can understand that. The fact that these replacement cards exist tells its own story. At the same time, because of the medium it's thoroughly understandable how this happens, that some things can come to light after production and thousands of people actually playing the game. I'm happy enough to pay for the new set of cards to have a better experience, it's not like Ryan didn't want to release the game as good as it could be. That's why we get second editions of games, because they can always be improved and some things need 'fixing'. It's nothing to be ashamed of.


I didn't mean to sound so defensive

I'm certainly not claiming that the game is flawless. There is definitely room for improvement! I just don't think those flaws are game-breaking, or otherwise serious enough to warrant "fixes" to be "given to all owners of the game for a very cheap price"…
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chrun
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
New threat cards will not stop the threat rush strategy that occur mid-late game.

The new threat card does give more variation in reward than the original threat card. The new threat cards would make getting negative reputation a bit more difficult.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
D4A9 wrote:
New threat cards will not stop the threat rush strategy that occur mid-late game.

The new threat card does give more variation in reward than the original threat card. The new threat cards would make getting negative reputation a bit more difficult.


One thing I didn't find out until I dug through a lot of the KS comments: some of the new threat cards do not have camps on them. I do not have any more details than that. This slows down a threat rush.

Edit: Oh, and they don't give as many VPs as the original ones.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Brown
United States
Brandon
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bracca wrote:
This is not an expansion, these are fixes to a not so great game. Sad to see something like this being called an expansion, it should be given to all owners of the game for a very cheap price. This is a new low for Ryan Laukat.


There are new mechanisms and expanded content. Sounds like an expansion to me, and there's nothing wrong with tweaking balance while you do that. Above and Below also got a tweak with some new components to encourage adventuring as a first action, but it also added to the fun of the game.

What has reached a new low is this comment, not Ryan Laukat.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chrun
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Amber mine module
There is a possibility that one player will be lock out of the mine because the first 6 spaces (no junctions) of the mine are fill with rival tents. The kickstarter rule does not allow a player to start their movement from a rival tent.

If this situation occur, how can the affected player be able to visit the mine?

I suggest this solution.
While visiting the amber mine, the player may pay 2 breads to the bank to start moving from the any rival tent.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
D4A9 wrote:
Amber mine module
There is a possibility that one player will be lock out of the mine because the first 6 spaces (no junctions) of the mine are fill with rival tents. The kickstarter rule does not allow a player to start their movement from a rival tent.

If this situation occur, how can the affected player be able to visit the mine?

I suggest this solution.
While visiting the amber mine, the player may pay 2 breads to the bank to start moving from the any rival tent.


If the player allows this completely avoidable situation, they just have to come back to town with enough hearts to go to the mine (possibly visiting the new General Store for an additional two). Or they can just avoid the mine. Not everyone HAS to be in the mine, much like in the original game. There are different paths to victory.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Bracca wrote:
This is not an expansion, these are fixes to a not so great game. Sad to see something like this being called an expansion, it should be given to all owners of the game for a very cheap price. This is a new low for Ryan Laukat.


Yes, the 8.2 rating is obviously fake news, fans and reviewers are just schilling, and evil Ryan won’t work for months on art and design for free...

Anyway, I know Red Raven is probably tweaking gameplay but I hope Rahdo gets a review copy. The new mechanics sound interesting but I also like the smooth and less random gameplay of the base game.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
R3DSH1FT wrote:
Yes, the 8.2 rating is obviously fake news


Yeah, well, that doesn't count. That rating is so high only because most of the people that voted for it liked it.


/s
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[Any clue on co op mode ? Will it playable with Story and Character mode ?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Duchesne
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I want to know how the coop mode work.They should have just used the automata deck variant posted on this forum.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sedenta wrote:
[Any clue on co op mode ? Will it playable with Story and Character mode ?


The co-op mode is supposed to work with all game modes, according to what Ryan posted in the comments on the campaign.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Justice_Bolt wrote:
I want to know how the coop mode work.They should have just used the automata deck variant posted on this forum.


Well, firstly, that would have been copyright infringement, unless they got permission from the person who created it.

Secondly, how do you know that the new variant won't be better? By your own admission you don't even know how it works (neither do I). So what puts you in the position to say "they should have just used…"?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Duchesne
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
SpecularRain wrote:
Justice_Bolt wrote:
I want to know how the coop mode work.They should have just used the automata deck variant posted on this forum.


Well, firstly, that would have been copyright infringement, unless they got permission from the person who created it.

Secondly, how do you know that the new variant won't be better? By your own admission you don't even know how it works (neither do I). So what puts you in the position to say "they should have just used…"?


Yeah you’re right. We just have to wait and see I guess.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SpecularRain wrote:
sedenta wrote:
[Any clue on co op mode ? Will it playable with Story and Character mode ?


The co-op mode is supposed to work with all game modes, according to what Ryan posted in the comments on the campaign.

I’m very interested to hear what the co-op mode is, this is the most exciting part of the expansion for me now. Would definately help get this to the table for us.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tigerwalms wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:
sedenta wrote:
[Any clue on co op mode ? Will it playable with Story and Character mode ?


The co-op mode is supposed to work with all game modes, according to what Ryan posted in the comments on the campaign.

I’m very interested to hear what the co-op mode is, this is the most exciting part of the expansion for me now. Would definately help get this to the table for us.


They posted an update where you can download the co-op beta. Go check it out!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
SpecularRain wrote:
tigerwalms wrote:
SpecularRain wrote:
sedenta wrote:
[Any clue on co op mode ? Will it playable with Story and Character mode ?


The co-op mode is supposed to work with all game modes, according to what Ryan posted in the comments on the campaign.

I’m very interested to hear what the co-op mode is, this is the most exciting part of the expansion for me now. Would definately help get this to the table for us.


They posted an update where you can download the co-op beta. Go check it out!


Yeah, saw that! The new threat cards are interesting. Going to post a comparison later today, hopefully.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Chrun
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ryan had post a new module called expert dice. I think expert dice will be a bit better than normal dice. This will create a race to visit the general store early, you want the good dice before you complete a second quest/ defeat a third threat card.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.