Hide
7 Posts

Arena: For the Gods!» Forums » Variants

Subject: Anyone else not like the default 'bidding' system? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
harrison
msg tools
Half rant, half request for suggestions.

I am not about the bidding for equipment system. It just feels out of place in my opinion to add this mechanic to an arena fighting game, and I also think it isn't that effective. My friends and I opt to use a type of card draft instead.

The blind life system and the 'once the 1st player dies the game ends' system I'm not sure I like either. Honestly I'm not sure why, it just doesn't feel right.

Overall I really like the core of this game. I think of it as a 'super smash brothers' tabletop version, and I love that. But I'm feeling like the surrounding mechanics of this game, meaning the choosing equipment cards, the way the game ends when the 1st player dies, etc, are unsatisfactory. It's kind of like saying I enjoy Super Smash Brothers at its core fighting, but I don't like timed or team or stock mode.

So basically I love the all-out arena, but I feel like the surrounding rules kill the game for me. Does anyone else feel this way?

And, does anyone else play the game with different rules that work for them better? I was so happy when I invented the card draft, it works much better for how I think about this game than a bidding with life, but how about Arena rules, so the win condition and prevent ganging up and etc?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Williams
United Kingdom
Rossendale
Lancs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was very excited to get this and was hoping it could replace Gorechosen in our group as it plays 6 at once but our main problem was the down time between turns. In theory it sounds like 6 player arena combat would be extremely fast paced and exciting but instead felt a little plodding with not much player interaction. Even worse was if you were being 'picked on' then by the time the dice came back to you, you might only be rolling two of them shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
What I like about this game is you can keep the core and easily change some of the outlier rules to your taste.

Don't like the bidding system? Change it! Who cares? Go random. Go draft. Do what you want. Change it!

Don't like the end condition of first player dies? Play until there is a single victor. I'm sure they went with the "first player dies" condition to reduce downtime between games, but if you don't like it, change it!

Don't like the suggested set ups? Change it!

Don't like hidden cubes? Change it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Neau
msg tools
mb
valenswift wrote:
I was very excited to get this and was hoping it could replace Gorechosen in our group as it plays 6 at once but our main problem was the down time between turns. In theory it sounds like 6 player arena combat would be extremely fast paced and exciting but instead felt a little plodding with not much player interaction. Even worse was if you were being 'picked on' then by the time the dice came back to you, you might only be rolling two of them shake

If one player is being picked on in a 6-player game, then 4 of the players aren't playing intelligently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The hidden life aspect was one of my groups favorite things about this game. Kept people from ganging up on the weakest person and surprised us both times we played when the game ended (or didn't end when we thought it would)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary M
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I agree with the hidden life points wholeheartedly. In addition to not being able to tell who the weakest player is at a glance, it can really mix up the outcome since only the highest life total ultimately wins.

We had one game where a player dominated, only to realize he lost after dealing the killing blow because he fell behind a more passive player by 1 point. Another game we had two aggressive players ended up trading punches in an effort not to fall behind the other one. Instead they ended up causing a two-way tie for a shared victory between the other two "weakest" players who maintained a moderate, but higher health pool.

I think it may be a little premature to eliminate the hidden health and/or win condition, but if your group doesn't feel like they fit, go for it. If you do eliminate the hidden health, make sure you remove the equipment card that lets a player peek at another player's health pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Hilliard
United States
Smyrna
DE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We also don't care for the bidding aspect. My wife doesn't like any game with bidding involved so we gave it a shot with drafting cards and it worked much better. The only issue was that, starting with 20 health cubes, the game lasted longer than we wanted. I would suggest starting with 10 cubes OR creating a few new variants based on player counts:

Extra Life Mode
Start with only 10 cubes. Select on player's character token (would need to make these) as the person you think will kill you in the game. This token can be changed at any time during your own turn. If that person deals the final blow, you reveal your token and collect 5 cubes. You will enter the game after 1 full rotation of play. This adds an element of bluffing in which you may announce that you are changing your token to make other nearby players think twice before attacking you.

Deadpool Mode
Start with only 10 cubes. Allow players to place death order tokens of their color (would need to make these) face-up in front of other players with any number of cubes on top. This token is placed at the start of the game and cannot be moved or changed. If that player dies in the correct order predicted by another player, the bidding player collects their order token, original wager and a matching payout of cubes from the supply. All other incorrect wagers in front of a defeated player go to the player that dealt the final blow.

Unstable Market Mode
All cards are displayed in face-up stacks, sorted by color. All 7 dice are rolled and separated by color. The # of dice in each color grouping dictates the cost for each card type. When a card is purchased with cubes, the dice in front of it are re-rolled and redistributed to their respective color piles. This may result in some card colors having no cost. While you may not purchase 2 cards of the same type, you may discard a previously purchased card and pay the highest cost among all current stacks in order to purchase a new card of that color. If a card is purchased for free, no dice are moved or re-rolled.

Some of these modes may be broken but I just came up with them on the fly so... just throwing stuff out there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.