Android: Netrunner» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Corporation Strategy Tips rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noah Higgins
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Seek Justice, Love Mercy, Walk Humbly With Your God.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello everyone.

My dad and I have played many games of Android: Netrunner. We have moved far past the pre-constructed decks and use all the cards up through Up and Over in the Lunar Cycle.

Through our experience, the runner always has the upper-hand against the corporation. The exception is Jinteki (even then, it is still a tough game for the corporation). Haas-Bioriod, NBN, and Weyland always struggle to win against the runner.

Can anyone offer some advice? My dad and I are looking for strategies to win against the runner, NOT particular cards.

Another thing while I'm here, the runners always seem to get the most powerful cards: Katie Jones, Rachel Beckman, and Inside Job come to mind. Katie Jones single-handedly provides the runner with enough credits to pay for any large run. Rachel Beckman gives them an extra action--enough said. Inside Job ruins an early game attempt by the corporation to get ahead in the agenda game.

Thank you for your help!

Noah
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leon van Klarenbosch
Netherlands
Maarssen
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's somewhat difficult to give specific advice because each pair of players develops their feel for the game differently. I'll try to give some general advice.

1. Know what you're up against
You mention Inside Job. If you play against Criminal, chances are high it's in the Runner deck. Make use of this knowledge and never leave a vulnerable server with just 1 piece of ice. And that's how it's gonna be against each faction and identity. Up against Noise? Prepare to defend Archives from the beginning.

Based on what your opponent plays, you can make a rough estimation of their deck composition. Against Anarch I don't tend to install as many assets because they tend to trash them more easily than the other factions, so the clicks I would've spent installing them I can reassign elsewhere, such as drawing new cards that will hopefully keep anarchs out. Install ice that the Runner doesn't have its icebreaker for yet (or if they do, evaluate whether it's gonna be a bigger tax for her/him than you).

2. Put pressure on the Runner from the beginning
I cannot stress enough how important this is, because this seems to be the biggest trouble for many beginning players. You are not a beginner, but that doesn't mean it's any less true. Don't let the Runner control the tempo! Keep a close eye on their money: try to score when they're low on cash (or cards if you're Jinteki). Try to bluff out cheap ice if you're low on cash yourself.

Make checking ice painful: don't put barriers as the outermost ice unless you try to score and the Runner doesn't have a fracter or the money to use it. Use AP or Destroyer ice on the outside, instead. Or install a bunch of remotes and try to hide an agenda in a forest of assets.

You also mention Rachel Beckman. She costs 8 credits; that's a huge investment. The Runner will probably be set back when it comes to money: use that opportunity. Same thing with Kati: she needs build-up. She can only be used once per turn. By the time she has a crapload of money on her, it it 5+ turns later. What does the Corp do in the meantime?

For somewhat more specific advice: tag the runner. Rachel is immediately trashed if the Runner is tagged, and there are loads of ways to tag the Runner: Hard-Hitting News, AR-Enhanced Security, Snare!, Turnpike, SEA Source, Cerebral Cast. Use Data Raven in your deck (potentially followed by a Data Ward) even if you're not NBN. Kati can be trashed in that way, too. Tags are simply a pain in the ass for the Runner, because Resources are very valuable, so bury him in them.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Zarzycki
Poland
Poznań
Wielkopolskie
flag msg tools
spiral out
badge
keep going
mbmbmbmbmb
Understand the concept of tempo. This might sound cryptic or smug, but that's the single most important thing to understand. If runner always has an advantage in your games, then the corp doesn't utilize the tempo. Score early. Bait and force them to lose money. Don't play reactionary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Brown
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Can anyone offer some advice? My dad and I are looking for strategies to win against the runner, NOT particular cards.

as the corp, it's your job to decide where to setup, what to rez, and guide the runner into making choices that are reactionary to what you're doing. the corp decides to install a card in a remote. is it an agenda? is it a trap? did the corp defend it? the runner can't know what it is until they run it or find out next turn it was an agenda all along. this is an important strategy for the corp. you force the runner to react to you, not the other way around.

also, while it's a good idea to ICE centrals early and/or try to rush out agendas, keep in mind that you don't ever HAVE to rez ice. if you start setting up a remote early with something in it and the runner goes after R&D, it's sometimes better to just let them have the access. if you rez and go broke, your remote is basically undefended at that point. if it's an agenda, that's a good swing in points. if it's an economy asset like Adonis Campaign, you're now on the backfoot, being really broke and unable to defend your remote or shore up some economy to do so.

Quote:
Another thing while I'm here, the runners always seem to get the most powerful cards: Katie Jones, Rachel Beckman, and Inside Job come to mind. Katie Jones single-handedly provides the runner with enough credits to pay for any large run. Rachel Beckman gives them an extra action--enough said. Inside Job ruins an early game attempt by the corporation to get ahead in the agenda game.
while that is true, as soon as the runner is tagged for any reason, Rachel Beckman trashes herself, so a Data Raven can really ruin her day. a Snatch & Grab at the right time can really slow the runner down a lot

Inside Job is indeed nice, but that's why you should put 2 ICE in your remote when rushing early to protect or put some upgrades in first to bait out the IJs

also, this goes to 'knowing the meta' which is an intentionally important skill for the game. there are a lot of silver bullets to handle problem cards. in a kitchen table meta like you have, it's just your two decks, so the meta is really well known by both of you. use that to surprise your dad inbetween games. he's using Rachel Beckman a lot? put in a surprise Data Raven or two even if you have no other methods of tag punishment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Tamburo
United States
Justice
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would strongly suggest to evaluate things in light of Rotation, the Revised Core and MWL 2.0. All three have changes that combine to really change the deck space for both sides - but especially Runner as a lot of really OP Runner stuff is now gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Joelist wrote:
I would strongly suggest to evaluate things in light of Rotation, the Revised Core and MWL 2.0. All three have changes that combine to really change the deck space for both sides - but especially Runner as a lot of really OP Runner stuff is now gone.
This is not strategy advice, though, and it is certainly very possible to win as the corp with the OP's card pool, no rotation needed.
Look at what the OP said about their card pool -- they have cards up to Lunar, so rotation is hardly practical for them.

To the OP: In my opinion, you can safely ignore that post.

The other people have already given good advice.
I know that you said not to mention specific cards, but several of the corps also have strong power cards that can really threaten the runner! Ensure that you use those!
(NBN: Astroscript Pilot Program, SanSan City Grid, SEA Source, Data Raven. Import Scorched Earth, then you can kill the runner when they are tagged.
Conversely, import tagging cards like SEA Source into Weyland. Weyland can earn lots of money easily, and then pay to tag and kill the runner.
HB can advance agendas quickly using Biotic Labour.)

When you build a deck for the corp, have a win plan in mind. Do you want to very quickly advance agendas behind cheap ICE (rush)? Do you want to score agendas the same turn you installed them (Fast advance)? Do you want to build a giant remote server with lots of ICE (Glacier)? <-- Note that even this will not keep the runner out forever; the trick is to make it really expensive for them to get in, so they can't do it all the time.
Put the runner under pressure and don't be too timid. Your servers are never imprenetable. Give them hard choices and make sure that you can punish them for taking risks (tags, damage, program trashing).
Also, ensure that your corp decks contain enough economy(=money) cards; not having enough of those is a common beginner mistake, I think.

Corp strategy is a lot harder to start with than runner, in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy Mark put out a good series of articles on corp strategy and deck building.

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/21886/deckbuilding-101-co...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
United States
Cape Cod
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would strongly recommend watching the Youtube video, "Principles of Corp Deckbuilding: Winning and Defending" by Willingdone. He echoes some of the principles already described by other posters here, but I find his explanations and graphics to be very clear and it's easy to see how to apply his ideas.

I found it incredibly helpful in creating a more solid overall strategy for the Corp.

For the OP, this has the added benefit of being an older viedo. While he's not recommending specific cards, he does reference some combos as examples, so you'll likely benefit from a familiarity with the pool he's discussing if you're only playing up to through the Lunar cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zeb
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
You found me!
badge
Hiss.
mbmbmbmbmb
The most common cause I've seen for imbalance is rules misunderstanding. I would make sure you're playing correctly and keep in mind some common misunderstandings:

-Ice stays installed and rezzed after it's broken.
-Icebreaker strength resets after each ice encounter.
-The runner does not automatically draw a card at the beginning of each turn.

Some specific things to keep in mind around the cards you mention:
-You can only use Kati Jones once per turn, including both abilities
-Rachel Beckman costs eight (8!) credits, that's a lot of money for a card that only benefits you over the long game. If it's a constant problem for the corp, include cards that tag the runner, forcing the runner to trash her for free.
-Inside Job can only bypass one ice. It is strong early game, but is not very useful once there are at least two rezzed ice on the server.

Also, a tip for the corp: just because you can rez ice doesn't mean you should. Keep in mind your credit total and how much you need to do what you want to do. For example, before rezzing ice on HQ, make sure it will leave you with enough money to rez ice on your remote with an agenda in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Roberts
United States
Southlake
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add that one other thing it is easy to forget or overlook when you start is that every ice after the first costs 1 credit for each piece of ice (rezzed or not) already on the server. So, installing a third piece of ice would cost 2 credits just to install.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Twice
Spain
flag msg tools
mb
Just the other day I revised and uploaded an old article about building a Corporation deck, I think it might help you a bit. It doesn't cover strategy per se (that's for the next one), but it should help make your decks better:

Erik's Structure of a Corporation deck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.