Stephen M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NEXT SESSION : Wednesday October 11, 2017.
GAMES : There are usually 50-100 games to choose from.
WHERE? THE LOUNGE of the Canadian Legion Branch 351 - Centertown, 330 Kent Street (The Montgomery Legion)
WHEN? Gaming starts at 5 pm and goes until 10
COST: FREE!!
PARKING : Kent and Somerset have parking, as well as the nearest side streets which are Gilmour, Maclaren, Cooper and Lisgar.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A pretty good crowd on Wednesday at the Legion despite the absence of some regulars.

Charles, Bill, André and I began with Taluva, a beautiful but mean game. For a change I didn't create huge strung out settlements but put myself in a little bit of a tight space as I used up lots of my huts relatively early. I was worried I would eventually not be able to place pieces. I also sacrificed a bunch of my own pieces to build third levels. Eventually, I ended the game early by using all my temples and towers. A first time win for me at this game.

Then Bill taught us another game by Marcel-André Casasola Merkle, Attika. This was also pretty mean with lots of blocking. Bill pulled together one huge settlement but André pressed things early by coming close to linking two of the corners. With two settlements already I paid. A huge costs to block him and later blocked Charles. André would not be denied and I missed seeing his opening and helplessly watched him make the final connection. This game is, like many more abstract games, simple to learn. I hope thought the tech tree was a fun and interesting mechanism but I can see where it can add a significant amount of luck to the game. I enjoyed it and would definitely play it again.

Other games I saw played (before I left early) included Splendor (with several of the expansion modules being tried), Village and Ingenious.

Have a great week. I'll see you next Wednesday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.