trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So here's the situation. I got a core set just to see if my boys would like it and......they freaking loved it! So im happy, but obviously im late to the party. What i would love to do is build a little collection where we have a decent number of cards to build a few different types of decks for each faction.

I dont want it to be too overwhelming but I would like to be able to do some varied deckbuilding and have things be reletivley balanced, able to explore some different types of strategies for different decks, but still keep things competitive. Im looking for something that would keep things interesting for maybe a solid year or so, we are not tournament players so I dont care about legality.

What im thinking is really just buying each deluxe expansion but forgoing all the data packs. Does that sound reasonable or do the data packs contribute too much to the individual expansion strategies?

Thoughts? Thanks for all the help!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
How much are you willing to spend?

I think the old core and the upcoming revised core together should give you a very nice foundation, then you can buy the deluxe expansions based on the corps and runners you're interested in. You'll probably want them all, eventually.

The data pack cycles are self-contained units of cards with some thematic new mechanics. Use NetrunnerDB to check out their contents if you ever grow bored of what you have. It'll take a while with over a thousand cards from the big boxes though.

I dunno about Terminal Directive. The campaign mode might be fun, but read reviews.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andy scott
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just keep an eye on ebay or the like with someone getting rid of their collection. For the price of $100+ you will get 300 or so worth of cards. Things with the deluxe sets would be the best....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, im not concerned as much with price as I am content. I dont think I need every data pack. I dont want an overwhelming amount of cards. Just something to keep it fresh for casual play that can last maybe a year or so running mini "tournaments" with the boys and a couple friends. The expansions are intriguing because they focus on a particular faction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stick to the boxes and not the mini-packs then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vincent Perry
United States
La Jolla
California
flag msg tools
Woot!
badge
I have overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Stick to the boxes and not the mini-packs then.

I agree with the sentiments here. The deluxe boxes will give you good deckbuilding options within each faction (so you have a few different ways to build a Jinteki deck without being "samey")

Terminal Directive is also a great purchase to add more options for some of the factions.

I would cherry pick data packs if you eventually play enough to get bored or see some cards you really like, but honestly, playing occasionally like this, the core and deluxe boxes will give you enough variety to keep things fresh. You'll have enough cards to have one interesting deck built for each faction all at once (and one runner minifaction), and in between plays, be able to change each deck to something pretty different if you want so that it feels fresh. It would probably be tough to make more than 4 runner and 4 corp decks all at the same time though that felt good to play, but if you have more than 4 people at your tournament, you can give each person 1 deck, half your players get runner, the other half get corp. Play half your tournament, then top corp switches decks with bottom runner, etc, then play second half of tournament.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
trevor

Missouri
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the help guys!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.