Massive Darkness» Forums » General

Subject: Lil' Ned Charging, Javelins rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steven Dey

New Jersey
msg tools
Just seeing how other people have been playing this, thoughts, or any rulings:

Can you charge with Lil' Need and attack something at range 1? Charge says end in same zone and perform a Melee attack, but Ned's ability allows Melee attacks to have a range 0-1. I'm leaning towards "you have to end up in the same zone as an enemy", but I just want to be sure.

And same thing for javelins. Can Lil' Ned attack at range 0-1 with a javelin as a Melee attack rather than a range attack? Can't think of a skill this would effect but I figured I'd ask anyway.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lefty Lefterson

Milwaukee
Wisconsin
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Charge says that you move 1 to 2 zones away to a zone with an enemy and perform a melee action. So I think you'd have to move to a zone with an enemy and if there is an adjacent zone with enemies you could attack it but you have to end your charge in a zone with enemies in it.

If the javelin has a melee attack rating on it then he could but if it only has ranged then no.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Carr
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
My interpretation would be that so long as a melee attack was made, that it would be fine. I mean people charge with a melee weapon to reach melee range, if they have a longer reach (i.e. spearmen in medievil wars) they wouldn't just keep running, they would stop and use their reach advantage

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ondusi wrote:
Can you charge with Lil' Need and attack something at range 1? Charge says end in same zone and perform a Melee attack, but Ned's ability allows Melee attacks to have a range 0-1. I'm leaning towards "you have to end up in the same zone as an enemy", but I just want to be sure.

Charge only requires you end the charge in an enemy's zone and then immediately perform a Melee action. Normally melee actions would only be able to strike an enemy in that zone, but if you have a spear or are playing as Ned, there is no requirement that the target of the melee action be the same enemy you're in the zone with.

Ondusi wrote:
And same thing for javelins. Can Lil' Ned attack at range 0-1 with a javelin as a Melee attack rather than a range attack? Can't think of a skill this would effect but I figured I'd ask anyway.

This depends on whether you believe that effects from skills have priority over effects from treasure. The rulebook only says that skills have priority over the general rules (pg 52), it says nothing about priority over other cards. However if we allow this passage to mean that skills have priority in general then Huge would have priority over the Javelin's special effect. So the Javelin's effect would allow melee actions at range 0, and then Ned's Huge would change that range to 0-1.

So, yes, Ned with a Javelin could choose to make a melee attack at range 1. Why would you want to do this? Well, if Ned is playing one of the melee-centric classes then he likely has bonuses/enchantments to melee attacks. If he used the javelin as a ranged weapon, he'd only be able to use the ranged bonuses/enchantments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flo Heisenbrain
Germany
München
Bayern
flag msg tools
I am the one who mods!
badge
Are you pondering what I'm pondering?
mbmbmbmbmb
DoctorBandage wrote:
Ondusi wrote:

Charge only requires you end the charge in an enemy's zone and then immediately perform a Melee action. Normally melee actions would only be able to strike an enemy in that zone, but if you have a spear or are playing as Ned, there is no requirement that the target of the melee action be the same enemy you're in the zone with.

To clarify: What you`re saying is you have to end up in a Zone with enemies in it when you charge (so no charging to an adjacent Zone and then Melee in 0-1), but you don't have to hit the zone you've ended up in, and can Melee another zone in range 1. Right?

I personaly would rule in favor of flavor, Why souldn't a hero that can attack with Melee in Range 1 not be allowed to charge next to a zone and use his advantage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Dey

New Jersey
msg tools
Thanks for the quick insight!

I do wonder if they wrote the Charge rule and didn't think to address the spear/Lil' Ned abilities afterwards, because Doctor Bandage is right; all Melee Actions require you to be at Range 0/same zone, and the rulebook doesn't seem to address exceptions to that as if they don't exist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor Bandage
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heisenbrain wrote:
To clarify: What you`re saying is you have to end up in a Zone with enemies in it when you charge (so no charging to an adjacent Zone and then Melee in 0-1), but you don't have to hit the zone you've ended up in, and can Melee another zone in range 1. Right?

Correct. Let's say there are two enemies in adjacent zones. You can use charge to reach enemy A, but then attack enemy B provided you have an effect that gives a range 1 melee attack.

Heisenbrain wrote:
I personaly would rule in favor of flavor, Why souldn't a hero that can attack with Melee in Range 1 not be allowed to charge next to a zone and use his advantage?

Because the text of the skill specifically requires you to end the charge in an enemies zone.

However, it's fairly clear that the rulebook does not consider any changes to the normal ranges whatsoever. There's been several oddities and edge cases that have arisen from ranged attacks at range 0 and melee attacks at range 1. If you want to allow melee range 1 attackers to end their charge adjacent to enemies, I don't see anything inherently wrong with that either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.