Hide
6 Posts

Arcadia Quest» Forums » General

Subject: Arcadia Quest for non-English speaking kids? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
metony mous
msg tools

How is Arcadia Quest for kids who does not speek english to play? Is there much in-game text and hidden information?

Would it be manageable to translate, print and sleeve those cards?
Which, and approximately how many, cards would need translation?

Or, would you recommend other dungeon crawls for kids age 10-12?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ashley Kennedy
United States
Cleveland
Tn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In comparison to other games, it is manageable to translate, print, and sleeve the cards. Although you will have to teach the rules in your target language, the icons and elements of active game play do not require much translation other than those cards.

The files for the upgrade/quest/monster cards are available at arcadiaquest.com as a download (or I believe at cmon.com). It will require some editing, but it is relatively accessible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
metony mous
msg tools

Thanks for your reply!

I was thinking about playing and doing instant translations of cards with non-hidden information while playing (kids are usually good at remembering their own cards), and just print and sleeve those types of cards that has info only the player should know. Would that be a lot of cards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caitlin Tracy
United States
Hoboken
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only time anyone has hidden information is during the item drafting phase of the game.

There are a large number of items in the game and I would estimate that about half of them have text that would need translating? Possibly a few more? The good thing is that there are duplicates of items, but it would be in the hundreds of cards that have to be translated (I'm guessing around maybe 200??)

They are the mini cards, so that would save on paper I suppose!

But no, there is not a lot of hidden information, once the scenario starts it is all out in the open so you can easily help everyone track/translate/interpret their cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
There are 3 different type of cards:
Heroes and monsters: All are visible every time, so no need to print and play.
Quest : Same as previous
Items (weapons and spell)uring the game they are also visible, but
between scenarios, there is a draft process. Players receive cards, then they keep some and pass others to next player. Some of these items cards have text.

A cheap option could be to translate text from these cards in a "player aid card", so your kids could just check the player aid to be sure about the content of the item card. I am not sure about how many cards there are, but considering that some are repeated and others do not have text, I presume this will be feasible.

I hope this is useful
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
metony mous
msg tools

A player aid card, or a small dictionary, seems like a great idea. They'll be learning those word fast, the vocabulary could not be that big!

Thanks a lot, guess next stop is game shop!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.