Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexander Mercer
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,
When I backed the game I had a group that were interested in playing, however due to circumstance that's no longer the case (backed at All Chapters level)

I've currently left the game all sealed in it's packaging so my choices are:
a) Sell it, and then sell the chapter packs individually as they arrive.
b) Wait for Chapter packs to come out and then sell it all as one bundle
c) Keep hold of it, and try soloing the game?

Background.
I enjoy playing PACG, but since group is unavailable for the duration I've only played it intermittently solo (first 3 sets).
Also with a small house and two kids, space is kind of at a premium, I can't really just store things if I can't justify the space.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I rather like Apocrypha, but found solo play disappointing.

Maybe that's a case of unrealistic expectations on my end. I had hoped the game would play fine solo controlling just 1 or 2 characters. It works that way, but was just much more interesting and enjoyable with a few other people at the table. As such, Apocrypha has received less play time than I hoped.

To be fair, I don't think it was ever marketed as a solo game and the idea of assisting other players (ie: working as a team) was clearly shown to be a key part of the game from day one.

If you think that your group might agree to play later, then I'd hold onto the lot... but otherwise recouping your cost and saving some shelf space might be a good idea.

(Note: Not willing to take my own advice to sell, as I really do like the game. Read into that what you will.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Alderman
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If it were me, I would hang on to what I have now and play the heck out it in solo mode. The game is really, really fun! Then, maybe by the time you've done all that, the other chapters will arrive and you can sell it as a bundle.

I know whenever I can buy a game plus additional content all bundled together, I jump on it big time.

Hope my two cents helped somewhat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it plays fine solo with 3 characters; definitely manageable if you have played games like that solo before. I wouldn't recommend going above (too unwieldy) or below (loses some mechanics) that number. However, I know lots of people are having fun with just 1 or 2 saints. I just put up a playthrough video of 3 character solo if you are interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on your description of your life situation, selling is probably better than soloing, but it’s hard to say which is better for you.

Option b is definitely better than a, if you choose to sell.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Campbell
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:

Option b is definitely better than a, if you choose to sell.

That's tricky, actually. I had a hard time selling my Pathfinder ACG as a complete set. People who don't own the core might not want to take a big risk on the whole line.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For what it's worth, I quite like the game as a solo. I've managed to play it a few times in group settings but most of my games have been 2-handed solitaire. While the way the powers interact isn't as cool, the tactics still show up with 2 characters (or more if you can handle them). The game is generally on the easy side this way, which is a nice alternative to something like AHLCG.

When you played PACG was it one or more handed? If you played 2 or more handed, enjoyed your solo play, and are looking for more of the same with some fun twists, you might hang on and give it a try. You can still sell it used, and then sell the other chapters sealed when they arrive if you decide it's not for you.

If you played one handed and aren't interested in trying multiple characters, or are kinda over solo PACG, go ahead and sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spinningdice wrote:
Also with a small house and two kids, space is kind of at a premium, I can't really just store things if I can't justify the space.

For what it's worth, the game is designed so that you shouldn't need any more space to store a "campaign" than the World box itself. It's also more than enough space to hold everything from the Flesh and the Devil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.