Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, my name is Paul Grogan and welcome to the second in a series of preview articles for the game PULSAR: 2849. The first preview can be found here.

Last time, I talked about how your turn consists of performing two actions. In this preview, I’m going to cover some of the possible actions you can do.

ACTION 1: Move your Survey Ship
With this action, your survey ship gets to explore the area of space. It’s as simple as moving your little plastic spaceship on the board

You move it a number of spaces equal to the value of the die, so high numbers are better. You must move it that exact number, and you can’t go back over locations you’ve visited on this action.

There are two types of interstellar thingymabob’s (not the official term) you will encounter on your travels.

Pulsars:
Well, the game has Pulsar in the title, so they must be important right?
Short answer: Yes

When you end your movement on a pulsar, you can claim it by placing one of your rings around it. Claiming a pulsar will allow to later build a gyrodyne around it.

Planetary Systems:
Whenever you land on a system, you flip the tile over, and you get to place one of your tokens on a planet.
These tokens represent stations and are worth VP at the end of the game.
Each system has a bonus, and if you end your movement there, rather than just passing through, you get that bonus. If you just pass through, you still get to place a station token, but you don’t get the bonus.

ACTION 2: Construct a Gyrodyne

Harnessing the power of pulsars is a hard job, I tried it once on a night out in London, and I still have the scars to prove it.

When you take this action, you take one of the gyrodyne tiles from the gyrodyne board. There are 3 sizes of gyrodynes.
To take a small one, you must use a die of value 1, to take a medium one requires a die of value 2, and to take a large one requires a 4. You can see this visually on the gyrodyne board.

When you take a tile, if you already have a claimed pulsar, you can put that tile immediately inside the ring on the main game board.

If you don’t yet have a claimed pulsar, you can still construct the gyrodyne; you just place it in front of you instead of on the board. As soon as you do claim a pulsar, you can move the tile onto the board, inside your claim ring.

What does a gyrodyne do once you have built it? Nothing... until you start it spinning...

ACTION 3: Completing a Gyrodyne

If you have a gyrodyne at a pulsar, you can complete it by using one of your actions and the die of a certain value. It requires a die of value 3 to flip a small gyrodyne, a 5 to flip a medium-size one, and a 6 to flip a large one. This is shown on the gyrodyne tile itself if you look at the image above. The image below shows what it looks like after it has been flipped.

Once flipped, your gyrodyne is "spinning". It will keep spinning until the end of the game, producing points for you as shown on the tile itself. You will also get bonus points each round depending on an extra value shown on the technology boards (it varies from 0 to 4).

So constructing Pulsars is a good way of generating points every round.

That’s all for this preview. Next time, I will cover transmitters and technology.

Preview 3 is here: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1863240/sneak-preview-p...

Paul Grogan is in charge of Gaming Rules! and spends his day creating how-to-play videos, editing rulebooks, creating podcasts, developing games and eating ice cream. More can be found at www.gaming-rules.com or on the Gaming Rules! YouTube channel: www.youtube.com/gamingrulesvideos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:

ACTION 2: Construct a Gyrodyne
ACTION 3: Completing a Gyrodyne

? Gyrodine ?
I like it.
I have already pre-order Pulsar weeks ago but from now it's the Gyrodine game! no Pulsar anymore.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyrodyne

But I like this from Oblivion movie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Rogers

Iowa City
IA
msg tools
mbmbmb
Really liked the game when I played it at Gen Con. Now I just need to find some Jaffa Cakes to eat while I play it at home! Thanks for teaching it to us Paul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for playing. There have been some tweaks to the game since Gen Con, but the overall idea is the same. Disappointed in the lack of Jaffa cakes on the final component list though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cretin Warlord
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
visit my blog The Necrollnomicon: Kitchener and Waterloo Board Game Events
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My brain reads these posts with an accent.

Thanks for these, I've been waiting for more information on this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GGJC wrote:
My brain reads these posts with an accent.

Thanks for these, I've been waiting for more information on this game.

Not sure what accent that might be as I dont have one

Preview 3 tomorrow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Preview 3 is online now: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1863240/sneak-preview-p...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.