Subject: Next episode after Here I Stand and Virgin Queen please ! ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Yves Michel
Belgium
Hoeilaart
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This post was part of another thread but it has been erased so I post it back, hoping we can prove there is a huge demand...

What about the following episode : 1600-1650 with the decline of the spanish might, the rise of the protestant power in France and the United Provinces, the further colonization of the world, the 30 years war (with the Swedish champion), the 80 years war (Spain - United Provinces), the further development of arts and sciences in Europe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Reisinger
msg tools
mbmb
Re: Next episode after Here I Stand and Virgin Queen
Yves MICHEL wrote:
This post was part of another thread but it has been erased so I post it back, hoping we can prove there is a huge demand...

What about the following episode : 1600-1650 with the decline of the spanish might, the rise of the protestant power in France and the United Provinces, the further colonization of the world, the 30 years war (with the Swedish champion), the 80 years war (Spain - United Provinces), the further development of arts and sciences in Europe...

My biggest wish is to copy almost everything from Here I Stand ( mechanically speaking ) into a 6 player wargame without the religious factions. Fighting and seiging CDG for 6 please! Make it so #1!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Federico Galeotti
Italy
Firenze
flag msg tools
http://www.gruppoludico.it/
badge
I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people. You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides.
mb
Why is this posted under "News"?

Before I opened it I thought that was an announcement about the next game, not just idle speculation and well-wishing.

Please at least add a question mark to the title.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Kahrl
United States
Unionville
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yves MICHEL wrote:

Not to mention the English Civil War, or Queen Christina bringing Descartes to Stockholm (or her abdication and conversion to Catholicism). There's a lot of potentially interesting stuff to get into in that period.

As long as we're daydreaming about ways to spend Ed Beach's time, I'm partial to the period of ~1670-1715 or so, myself. The wars of Louis XIV and the Prince of Orange, the Glorious Revolution (and all of the turnover on the English throne), the War of the Spanish Succession, the collapse of the Swedish Empire, the (second) Siege of Vienna, Marlborough and Eugen, Peter the Great, Charles XII... I guess the big question is whether there would be enough for Sweden and Russia to do besides beat on each other that they'd be full powers, along with the Ottomans, the House of Habsburg, Louis' France, and England.

Then again -- and acknowledging freely the risk of thread derailment -- I'd love for GMT to someday do a "Clash of Monarchs"-scale treatment of the War of the Spanish Succession in Flanders and Germany. The challenge there is whether there's a designer as devoted to the period as Bob Kalinowski has been to Frederick's wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Michel
Belgium
Hoeilaart
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Next episode after Here I Stand and Virgin Queen please !
You are absolutely right, I have just changed my thread...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Michel
Belgium
Hoeilaart
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DiamondSylph wrote:
Yves MICHEL wrote:

Not to mention the English Civil War, or Queen Christina bringing Descartes to Stockholm (or her abdication and conversion to Catholicism). There's a lot of potentially interesting stuff to get into in that period.

As long as we're daydreaming about ways to spend Ed Beach's time, I'm partial to the period of ~1670-1715 or so, myself. The wars of Louis XIV and the Prince of Orange, the Glorious Revolution (and all of the turnover on the English throne), the War of the Spanish Succession, the collapse of the Swedish Empire, the (second) Siege of Vienna, Marlborough and Eugen, Peter the Great, Charles XII... I guess the big question is whether there would be enough for Sweden and Russia to do besides beat on each other that they'd be full powers, along with the Ottomans, the House of Habsburg, Louis' France, and England.

Then again -- and acknowledging freely the risk of thread derailment -- I'd love for GMT to someday do a "Clash of Monarchs"-scale treatment of the War of the Spanish Succession in Flanders and Germany. The challenge there is whether there's a designer as devoted to the period as Bob Kalinowski has been to Frederick's wars.

Waow even better !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Berger
United States
Littleton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
Jigsaw
mbmbmbmbmb
I say we skip ahead to 2866 with the Houses of Davion, Laio, Kurita, Marik and Steiner all vying for supremacy, while ComStar tries to play each side off the other and protect their monopoly on Star League technology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Michel
Belgium
Hoeilaart
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
djberg96 wrote:
I say we skip ahead to 2866 with the Houses of Davion, Laio, Kurita, Marik and Steiner all vying for supremacy, while ComStar tries to play each side off the other and protect their monopoly on Star League technology.

Yeah, the sky... I mean the universe is the limit !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gonzalo Pro
Peru
flag msg tools
I'll be honest here. I just want another 6player game from Ed Beach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Johns
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
turboraton wrote:
I'll be honest here. I just want another 6player game from Ed Beach.

Me too, though I'm having fun with Civ6 currently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sloop hmsstarling
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Count me in for two copies of a six-player Volume III of the Wars of Religion taking the series from Virgin Queen up to the Treaty of Westphalia in 1648.

Once that one is on the table, I would also go for two copies of follow-on installments through the early 1700s along the lines that Christina suggested.

A game focused on the War of the Spanish Succession would be on my MUST-BUY list too.

For Ed's comments on a possible Volume III, see Consimworld Here I Stand folder, post 13500 ... Ed has begun collecting some books!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
badge
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from News to General.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Michel
Belgium
Hoeilaart
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
monkeyhandz wrote:
Moved from News to General.

Thanks, better here...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
The Thirty Years War seems to me to be the most likely choice but GMT already has a Thirty Years War CDG, though it's out of print and only two player. Ed may have his hands full now working on the Civ computer game franchise.
Still should a Thirty Years War game happen, what would the factions be? One would have to add Sweden, and the Dutch, Danish and German Protestants could be combined, but then do you make it 7 players (yikes) or drop one? Who do you drop, England or the Ottomans?

I know little about the Sun-King's period. Would that make a decent 6 player game? How so?

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt Keckley
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Fields of Despair - GMT P500.
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorndog wrote:
The Thirty Years War seems to me to be the most likely choice but GMT already has a Thirty Years War CDG, though it's out of print and only two player. Ed may have his hands full now working on the Civ computer game franchise.
Still should a Thirty Years War game happen, what would the factions be? One would have to add Sweden, and the Dutch, Danish and German Protestants could be combined, but then do you make it 7 players (yikes) or drop one? Who do you drop, England or the Ottomans?

I know little about the Sun-King's period. Would that make a decent 6 player game? How so?

Thanks

I would love to know if Ed Beach has a time period in mind for his next game, something already on the back burner, or even in progress. Maybe if we say his name 3 times, he'll appear.

Ed Beach, Ed Beach, Ed Beach.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the Virgin Queen BGG Forums there was talk that one of the cards supposedly gave a hint to a third game and more than one person believed it remained in the 16th Century but centered around Russia. There was said to be more details on this on the Consimworld forums. I'll see what I can find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max DuBoff
United States
New Brunswick
New Jersey
flag msg tools
"My name is Ozymandias, king of kings: / Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
badge
Habeo in animo vivere in perpetuum aut mori dum conor.
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorndog wrote:
On the Virgin Queen BGG Forums there was talk that one of the cards supposedly gave a hint to a third game and more than one person believed it remained in the 16th Century but centered around Russia. There was said to be more details on this on the Consimworld forums. I'll see what I can find.

Ed said that at one point, but his latest comment has been that there's nothing to speak of regarding an HIS/VQ sequel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel K
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beorndog wrote:
There was said to be more details on this on the Consimworld forums. I'll see what I can find.

Despite plenty of speculation, I've never seen any subsequent confirmation or even hint from Ed of what that card was. That goes for BGG, CSW, Twitter, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joel, yes, you were the one that was guessing it might be Russia. right? You would know if anyone if there was further word. I fear Max is right and there isn't anything upcoming planned for now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ernest von Lauenburg
msg tools
I was working in my mind on a game like this in years 1618-1650, with England,HRE (including Spanish Netherlands and Burgundy), Protestant (Germany + Boehmia at start, later also Denmark and Sweden), France, Poland and Russia.

This is how I would see the map:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mariusz Morawski
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Soon my friends, soon. "The Eagle, the Bear and Lilies" soon will be ready!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yves Michel
Belgium
Hoeilaart
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This seems very interesting.

Russia is a good idea for this period with the exploration and expansion to the east. One could use the same system as HIS for the exploration of America or imagine the possibility of progressively conquering Siberia area per area as a special power for Russia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.