Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I played my first 4 player game of Tramways this weekend. I loved it. I also absolutely crushed everyone, so I wanted to make sure my strategy was valid within the scope of the rules.

I am more concerned with the board plays than the card plays, but for the card plays, I went for a lot of commercial deliveries in the first half of the game to get some more good cards. They also added to my hand instantly, which gave me a lot more freedom. I went for residential for the second half of the game, to destress.

What I ended up doing was creating a network starting at an industrial spot, with 1 link to a parcel(that I upgraded to commercial early on), which was then 2 away from another commercial, and then I had three links to a parcel, another three to another parcel(which I turned into Leisure near the end game), and then 1 link to a residential. In the last two rounds, I was making runs from the residential at one end to the industrial at the other end, getting 5 victory points and 9 coins each time. Then, I did a final cash out at the Leisure- 45 coins for 9 vp.

It seems like a great strategy to make this one set of multiple smaller links and then keep running them back and forth. The industry on one end had a size of three, and hence 3 people on it, and then 2 on the residential, as both were part of the board, as opposed to parcels.

I guess I just wanted to make sure that this strategy makes sense within the rules. I had about 57 points at the end of the game and everyone else were clustered around 30ish points. With the big board and few turns, it was rare for people to really clash much, and when we did, I was still able to use one link of theirs, which then fed into my huge set of links which went into each other.

Also, I just wanted to make doubly sure that I could run people through my own parcels, and it counts as separation for victory points in between links. Had I built a link inside one of my parcels, I would have gotten 1 less victory point, since there would be one less separated connection.

Any thoughts? Did I play right? I assume with more knowledgeable players, I would not have been allowed to get away with what I did...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jose Cunha
Norway
Lysaker
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think you played it right,unless you forgot to add stress for each delivery to Commercial (does not seem you forgot since you foccused on residential latter). It's important to no let your oponents create big networks, if that's not possible then snipe their passangers. It seems the other players failed at that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After my first game I think having many small routes and frequent visits to leisure is better than long routes and one giant cash out at the leisure district.

But I think we'll all be proven wrong in future games!

What was your final score? We had three people in the low to mid 50s and the winner was at 74.

Edit: we made some rules errors regarding transporting passengers that the winner took advantage of. Hard to say how that would have affected the final scoring. But I know the winner sent passengers through the same 1x1 square more than once on a few occasions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
Also, I just wanted to make doubly sure that I could run people through my own parcels, and it counts as separation for victory points in between links. Had I built a link inside one of my parcels, I would have gotten 1 less victory point, since there would be one less separated connection.

Any thoughts? Did I play right? I assume with more knowledgeable players, I would not have been allowed to get away with what I did...

Can you clarify what you mean by running people through your own parcels? Did you transport people through parcels that did not have buildings or links constructed on them? Or did you mean you transported people through multi-space buildings (which is allowed)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.