Aeon's End: War Eternal» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Strategies for Maiden of Thorns? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
brian smolinski

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
My wife and I have attempted this nemesis 5 or 6 times and we just can't take her down! We've tried different combinations of mages and gems/relics/spells but cannot get her below 30 health. Her unleash/impale ability is pretty brutal once we're at tier 2, and we can't seem to build up our decks quickly enough to stem the growing tide of minions and power cards. It's hard to believe she's only rated as a difficulty of 4??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazed Survivor
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
Blight Lord is also a 4 and he can consistently whoop your buttocks too.
That being said I wasn't home to receive my game today so I can't help before Saturday

Use what you've learned in these 6 games to analyze what in your market/character set-up worked and what didn't, then adapt to that + the maiden's abilities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Corning
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I haven't played her too much to pin down specific strategies, but I do know I never buy the last card from a pile so that I have a cheap pile to put the Thorn marker on, at least until she blows up a couple of piles. Trying to buy cards of every cost is also useful to stem the damage, but sometimes it isn't feasible to buy some cards, so you may just have to put up with some heavy damage on occasions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'qxc' Riley
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Setup plays a much larger role when playing against MoT. If you don't mind choosing a market, I suggest one where the costs of the cards is as low as possible and you have as much redundancy as the rules allow in the lowest costs possible. That means you need to buy less cards from less piles and spend less overall aether.

The cheaper the cards, the easier it is to buy them and reduce the damage of her impale and the fewer distinct costs that exist, the less piles you need to buy from.

GLHF!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian smolinski

Los Angeles
California
msg tools
qxc0 wrote:
Setup plays a much larger role when playing against MoT. If you don't mind choosing a market, I suggest one where the costs of the cards is as low as possible and you have as much redundancy as the rules allow in the lowest costs possible. That means you need to buy less cards from less piles and spend less overall aether.

The cheaper the cards, the easier it is to buy them and reduce the damage of her impale and the fewer distinct costs that exist, the less piles you need to buy from.

GLHF!

Thanks! We made some tweaks and gave it another shot last night. Got her down to 7 hit points before we both died. I feel confident our next rematch will be a success!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Cross
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I beat her twice with Xanos and Mazahaedron. We used:
-3 cost frozen magmite
-4 cost Breach ore
-5 cost Erratic Ingot
-3 cost Fiend Catcher
-4 cost primordial fetish
-3 cost Thoughform familiar
-5 cost Aurora
-6 cost Nova Forge
-7 cost Equilibruim
I play as Maz and I’m all about healing gravehold. I only buy gems at first then Aurora when I can sneak in some fiend catchers to cull my deck and look ahead like crazy. I like to have Auroras prepped to gain charges or popthem off for damage when needed. My wife is all about the damage spells gems early then shoots for Novas to be able to by the equilibriums. Buy fetish’s with frozen magmites to get quick heals. Keep one card in each pile and good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.