Johnny Li
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I'm actively trying to forget as much as possible about this scenario so I can play it again without knowing EXACTLY what to look for with each person, but there is definitely a giveaway with each of them.

Bobby's definitely had something to do with the package he was receiving. I think you had to go to the back room to figure it out?

Joyce's tell was in her room, I believe. I think it was one of the books that she stops you from reading? (I don't remember).

Detective Blakes was what is hiding in his basement.

I don't remember the others, other than that IF they are one of the cultists, they have a TELL that changes with each game depending on whether or not they are cultists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Curry
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The journal is a little more ominous than simply him being a member of the family though. He clearly intends to gain power if you read it. What's more is that you're not supposed to know about that as he tore those pages out (he carries that journal with him still, as seen at the docks). Furthermore, he is completely dishonest about why he is in town. If that isn't fishy I don't know what is.

Oh, but, check this out: He is not always the bad guy. It will be different each time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Duke
United Kingdom
Fleet
Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This suddenly seems to be coming up on these forums quite a bit recently... The sad truth is that the scenario is much more limited and mechanical than you'd expect from the description; you're almost guaranteed to over-think it.

Spoiler (click to reveal)
The vast majority of the scenario is fixed. Every suspect has a back story that you can interpret as being suspicious, but it is the same whether they are guilty or not.

The 'tell' for each suspect is merely whether or not one object in one very specific place is mundane or clearly cult-linked. On each map, one hiding place requires a key (found on another map) to access; one hiding place merely needs you to overcome some obstacle.

If you find the ritual components, that doesn't tell you anything about who is guilty; rather it tells you where the ritual will (probably?) take place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lukasz Lacny
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Homey_Christ wrote:
The journal is a little more ominous than simply him being a member of the family though. He clearly intends to gain power if you read it. What's more is that you're not supposed to know about that as he tore those pages out (he carries that journal with him still, as seen at the docks). Furthermore, he is completely dishonest about why he is in town. If that isn't fishy I don't know what is.

Oh, but, check this out: He is not always the bad guy. It will be different each time.

I've played the scenario only once and this assumption does not hold up for me. In our scenario Joyce Little and Zadok were the cultists, while we suspected Bobby for the whole campaign, because of the reasons that you give: journal, weird behavior etc. I naver ever suspected Zadok to be the cultist, he just seemed like a paranoid drunk throughout the game. As for Joyce, we never suspected her either, until the last part in the docks when we found a Cult Sigil in her possesion.

We had to choose between her and Bobby - we chose her, which turned out to be (luckily) right.

The behaviours of suspects were as described in OP, which now leads me to believe that the scenario is not very well done, and there is not really a way to deduce the culprits unless you can find a Cult Sigil in their possesion. Which is a shame...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Johnsson
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gary Duke wrote:
This suddenly seems to be coming up on these forums quite a bit recently... The sad truth is that the scenario is much more limited and mechanical than you'd expect from the description; you're almost guaranteed to over-think it.

The vast majority of the scenario is fixed. Every suspect has a back story that you can interpret as being suspicious, but it is the same whether they are guilty or not.

The 'tell' for each suspect is merely whether or not one object in one very specific place is mundane or clearly cult-linked. On each map, one hiding place requires a key (found on another map) to access; one hiding place merely needs you to overcome some obstacle.

If you find the ritual components, that doesn't tell you anything about who is guilty; rather it tells you where the ritual will (probably?) take place.

That is some terrible game design right there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.