Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes it seems that role selection gets too predictable so in an attempt to increase variability what about these:

Anyone tried flipping the role tiles to the other side when returned so the same role can't be used two consecutive turns? Would make 16 abilities available each game instead of only 8.

How about adding 1 gold to unselected roles for next turn to encourage different role selections?

Haven't played enough to know if yellow side and red side would be unsuitable if commingled.

Thoughts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Collin Pastorius
United States
Great Mills
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
klbush wrote:
Sometimes it seems that role selection gets too predictable so in an attempt to increase variability what about these:

Anyone tried flipping the role tiles to the other side when returned so the same role can't be used two consecutive turns? Would make 16 abilities available each game instead of only 8.

How about adding 1 gold to unselected roles for next turn to encourage different role selections?

Haven't played enough to know if yellow side and red side would be unsuitable if commingled.

Thoughts

My thinking is that it may add a considerable amount of time to the play flipping the tiles. The adding of money could work, but I'm not sure how much would be added to be incentive enough to pick a less desirable role in one out of four rounds. And whether or not the amount added would upset the balance of the game.

I'm not saying they're BAD ideas. Those are just concerns I would have with using the ideas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Fast
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
You choose roles just 4 times in a game. I haven't viewed this as a problem, but a feature of the game.

If I can predict that someone is going to take a role then I need to think about how I can counter that: pass early and become first player in the next round, take a role that counters or defends the other player, follow a strategy that doesn't depend on that role.

With the base game, playing red or yellow, after 70+ plays, my experience is that there are more strategies around the roles than are apparent after a couple of plays. Part of the pleasure in Carson City, for me, is finding those unexpected strategies. Some of them depend on a particular board setup, how tiles comes out early, and how people play the first two rounds.

With 16 roles you have more choice, but it also means you need to do a lot more work to think about the next round. It would certainly make it challenging. Without playing it I'm not sure it would make the game better. And as noted above, I don't think it's needed.

The game's solution, really, is the expansions which add a slew of roles. If you feel the game is predictable with the roles in the base game, then get one of the expansions. You will randomly choose 8 roles from a set that is now, with both expansions, over 20. And they're all double sided.

You could play the game hundreds of times without having the same combination of roles. And in each of those games you only pick roles 4 times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.