Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Bragado
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great news everyone! The expansion to Near and Far, Amber Mines, just started its Kickstarter run, and within less than a day Red Raven Games has made their goal 6x over! And, in response to a comment I made about "crossing my fingers for a reprint of The Ancient World," creator Ryan Laukat says:

"Thank you for the kind words! An Ancient World reprint will happen next year."

It's going to happen! Yay!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Martinez
United States
Sherwood
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
yaaaaaas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michail tridimas
Greece
athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Good news,i hope for an expansion too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Dowdle
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't wait to hear more! I wonder if it will be a reprint or a 2nd version (ie: Empires of the Void 2). Either way I'm very excited!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Boyung
United States
Brookfield
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
saravakos wrote:

As long as it's not another City of Iron situation, where the new printing changes the game, doesn't provide an upgrade kit, and any future expansions are not compatible with the original game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim K
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
saravakos wrote:

As long as it's not another City of Iron situation, where the new printing changes the game, doesn't provide an upgrade kit, and any future expansions are not compatible with the original game.

Agreed, although first edition CoI with Experts and Engines is pretty much perfect for me, and I couldn’t ask for much more.

That said, I was just able to get my hands on a copy of The Ancient World and I would definitely feel pretty bummed missing out on any potential expansions/improvements. It’s an awesome game and I’m excited that more people will get to play it. Hopefully Ryan takes first edition owners into consideration to provide some compatibility with the new iteration.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michail tridimas
Greece
athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I would love to see an expansion,no second edition
The game is awesome as in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wish I would have checked this forum earlier today, because I just bought a copy of the first printing... If there's a second edition rather than a second printing, I'm going to be hesitant to buy another Red Raven first edition game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shirley Sheak
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
I want to play boardgame with my friends everyday, but realised it's just an unrealistic dream.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay thank you for the good news! I will get it as soon as it's available for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aries wind
United States
Mt Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
danaolson wrote:
Wish I would have checked this forum earlier today, because I just bought a copy of the first printing... If there's a second edition rather than a second printing, I'm going to be hesitant to buy another Red Raven first edition game.

not really fair, tbh, this game came out over 3 years ago. theres plenty of time for a second edition to be reasonable
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
arieswind wrote:
danaolson wrote:

not really fair, tbh, this game came out over 3 years ago. theres plenty of time for a second edition to be reasonable

In your opinion.

My opinion is that a 3-year beta test isn't my cup of tea. I'm fine with waiting for the full game to release in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Villarreal
United States
Pacoima
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to put a damper on people's expectations, but I did ask RRG directly about the re-print and in their email response they said they ultimately decided not to reprint Ancient World 'for the moment'.

Seems like I'll never find a copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzyfoot wrote:
Not to put a damper on people's expectations, but I did ask RRG directly about the re-print and in their email response they said they ultimately decided not to reprint Ancient World 'for the moment'.

There are some in the BGG Market. Price might be high, but... Seems like you could find a copy. I'd even sell mine for the right price, but shipping to the US might be a bit much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Villarreal
United States
Pacoima
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danaolson wrote:
fuzzyfoot wrote:

There are some in the BGG Market. Price might be high, but... Seems like you could find a copy. I'd even sell mine for the right price, but shipping to the US might be a bit much.

I'm picky. I'd like it brand new because there is just something about opening a brand new shrink-wrapped copy of a game. Also in English, I don't know other languages and reading foreign language on cards is not something my game group would be keen on doing, instant turn-off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dana Olson
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I hear you. Punching tokens is why I buy games! And I worry about how others treat their games, so that makes me hesitate to scour the used market much, too.

But if it were something I really, really wanted and couldn't find anymore, I'd be okay to make an exception. The only one I bought used that I can think of is Ninjato, earlier this year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Villarreal
United States
Pacoima
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
danaolson wrote:
Oh, I hear you. Punching tokens is why I buy games! And I worry about how others treat their games, so that makes me hesitate to scour the used market much, too.

But if it were something I really, really wanted and couldn't find anymore, I'd be okay to make an exception. The only one I bought used that I can think of is Ninjato, earlier this year.

Well I sent a second email to RRG asking them to point me in the right direction of getting a copy. If they have extra copies around the office, I hope they take pity and sell me one. I'd be more than willing to give them cash for a copy of this OOP game in particular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michail tridimas
Greece
athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No reprint????
What a shame......
This is a hidden gem.....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I already own the game, but i'd buy it again if they put it in a Carcassonne-size box, as I hate wasting storage space. The folded board fits just right and they would just have to change the rulebook format.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
motoyugota wrote:
saravakos wrote:

I don't understand this sentiment. Why wouldn't anyone want the game's design to progress forward? A new edition doesn't render the original game any less playable and forcing a design to work with an upgrade pack handicaps creativity. I love what Ryan did with both City of Iron 2E and Empires of the Void II and will be equally as excited to see the next Ancient World.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Luongo
msg tools
mb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
motoyugota wrote:
saravakos wrote:

I don't understand this sentiment. Why wouldn't anyone want the game's design to progress forward? A new edition doesn't render the original game any less playable and forcing a design to work with an upgrade pack handicaps creativity. I love what Ryan did with both City of Iron 2E and Empires of the Void II and will be equally as excited to see the next Ancient World.

Agreed. I like TAW as it is but I'd love a 2nd edition that takes the game up another notch or in a slightly different direction. Then I have two games. If the 2nd edition is significantly different, I'd love for the KS campaign to include a mini-expansion for the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michail tridimas
Greece
athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Of course if ryan laukat makes a second edition,iam in!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hahn Arama
United States
flag msg tools
I had a guide, a Bedouin man, who called me 'Abu el Banat'. And whenever we'd meet another Bedouin, he'd introduce me as Abu el Banat. And the Bedouin would laugh and laugh and offer me a pint of beer. (cont below)
badge
And I'd go to pay them for the beer and they wouldn't let me. "Abu el Banat" means "Father of daughters." They thought the beer was the least they could do.
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Raven posted this today on twitter

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Who Am I?
Canada
Fredericton
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a surprising pseudo-announcement, as I just traded for the first edition.

That's ok though. Playing first edition will work fine for me. The only disappointment from that photo is the box size - Gláucio was right to say that it would fit "...in a Carcassonne-size box... The folded board fits just right and they would just have to change the rulebook format."

That would have made the second edition more appealing to me, enough so that I would consider upgrading. As it stands now, I'll be content with what I've got.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, they are changing the title font. Let's see if they at least change also one of the sides of the box to match the book-spine style of later games, so that all look good, stored side-by-side vertically on the shelf. Of course, some component upgrade wouldn't be bad, either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michail tridimas
Greece
athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What is this?
A reprint?
A second edition?
Retail or kickstarter?
Someone from red raven games to respond us!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.