Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew De Lorge
United States
Spencer
MA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
How is this versus a game like Mr Jack?

I have watched play through vids on both and this to me looks better in terms of appearance and art, but not sure about gameplay. Looking to mainly play 2p, with the idea it may come out in an occasional group of friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rasmus Helms
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are hard to compare, really.

While they are both hidden movement/deduction games, they feel very different.

Mechanically, Mr. Jack is a very tactical game about using the characters available each round to set yourself up for the next. The game is mostly about (as Jack) preventing your opponent from deducing too much each round, while also trying to escape (although this is not necessary to win). The game is light and thus does not feel very tense.

Whitehall, on the other hand, is a more tense experience where you have to balance throwing off the police, while also trying to reach one of your destinations. While Whitehall does not have as much deduction as its brother Whitechapel, the police still needs to figure out the direction of Jack.

If you are planning to play with more than 2, there's no doubt really that Whitehall is the game to choose because it supports up to 4 players (unlike Mr. Jack).
Personally, I much prefer Whitehall simply because there is tension and interesting decisions, which I did not find as often in Mr. Jack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel N
Colombia
Medellín
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr. Jack is not from the same genre. Although Mr. Jack has some deduction, it is mainly about process of elimination of suspects. Whitehall, on the other hand is a hidden movement game that is all about deduction. So, you cannot compare them at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are almost completely different games, so it's hard to compare.

I will say that Whitehall is best with 3-4 players, so if you are more interested in something that plays well with 2 Mr. Jack might be better (or the newer version called "Phantom of the Opera").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
Unlike the others, I can see a comparison.

To me they give players the same "feeling." In fact my wife really enjoys Mr. Jack Pocket, so after playing that a bunch I bought Mr. Jack. It was too similar for her but I knew she would like something similar, she likes the hiding and the finding. Basically hide and seek appeals to her. I had been waiting for a good hidden movement game that wasn't bogged down by too many rules and this was the game. We played four times the other day and she was really into it.

So, while mechanically different, I see why someone would think they are similar.

With all that said, it'll take me a few games to decide which I like best and would rather play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.