SAKURA in KYOTO 2018 Back to Kansai
England
York
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
admin
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We finished on a card game, Manitou, which I've had for some 7 years but never got to play. It's an odd mix of mechanisms, part auction, part rock/paper/scissors, but it was just too odd for me. I understood the rules, I just didn't get the game.

You play three rounds and at the start, each player makes a hand of 8 from their deck, shuffles the hand, and draws 3 to work from. You're competing for big and little buffalo points, your hunter cards are numbered and you lay them to get the majority and catch the buffalo (that's the auction bit). But you also have some warrior cards to play, chief, medicine man, rainmaker, scout and squaw, and you lay these to take the other cards prisoner for points. These warriors outdo each other, so the chief beats all but is beaten by the squaw and so on. Therefore, if my warrior remains standing on one of the hunting grounds, you might take the buffalo, but I'll take all the players cards. This means mine go back into my hand, yours score points for me as prisoners and you lose some useful cards.

But the game is only 3 rounds. And I blew each round. I didn't get buffalo, I drew the penalty twice for the highest total, and my warriors were walloped. Ian and Richard finished with 39 points each, I scraped in with 11. I just couldn't decide on a strategy and I didn't draw my cards in a useful order. I might play it again, but I waited seven years, and I can wait another. Thankfully, we avoided making any crass remarks about wampum or firewater or forked tongue or heap big anyway that would have been offensive and we didn't do it.

And that was that, 2 board games and a card game in SIX HOURS! And with my new games Richard brought round for me, my owned/played percentage could only have suffered...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.