Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
I am thinking specifically of the abilities that give the other players 1 minute to decide how they will fulfil a certain condition (losing cultists, power etc).

My (limited) experience suggests that these abilities are super over-powered for 3 players, and rather under-powered for numbers greater than 4 (not that I will ever play this game again with more than 4 players, but that is another story).

Does anyone house rule this to avoid the imbalance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Franke
Germany
Wildeshausen
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't houserule those 1min skills. Even with 5 players or more you can find your windows of opportunity to use them succesfully.

The only thing I do is to tell people to not pick Opener in three player games because I think is is not made for this play count. It can work but often it felt kind of underpowered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
OK, I guess I am more worried about their OP-ness, since I play this game with 3 players 90% of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some powers like that (other examples, too) which would have scaling issues if the game were taken on a flatly mechanical level. In my experience, those issues resolve themselves in the social interaction of the game. For example, a Crawling Chaos player who casts Thousand Forms and punches two other players in a three player game is going to face two players who quickly find common cause to team up to smack him back down. In a game with five or six (I prefer no more than five myself), the power of Thousand Forms is depleted somewhat, but so is the threat by Crawling Chaos, too.

Some might find fault with this: "You are requiring our group's social interaction to help balance the game!" I've heard that complaint with other titles. My thinking is that Cthulhu Wars, much like with Cosmic Encounter, when played by folks with even a couple of sessions behind them, the social interaction is where the game really happens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Franke
Germany
Wildeshausen
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thw Crawling Chaos power is easier to time with fewer players nad can be really swingy but if both opponents are aware of it they can try to play so that they don't run out of power before CC.

The Black Goat one can be annoying but it is pretty expensive and our BLack Goats players don't use it that often. The fix that you get a cultist when it fails helps but with didn't play since that very often.

You are right that they are easier to time and hurt more with fewer players and that they are not that hurtful with more than 4 but I never thought of them as OP. I can be wrong here I admit.

I have to add that we don't play CW with three that often the last year because there are better games with three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:
My (limited) experience suggests that these abilities are super over-powered for 3 players, and rather under-powered for numbers greater than 4 (not that I will ever play this game again with more than 4 players, but that is another story).

I know this doesn't relate to your original question, but I have to ask why you won't play this with more than 4. I've played several 5 player games and once with 6 players and I found the higher player count to be much better. What set you off about this, if I may ask?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Bradley
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Scotland
flag msg tools
Board clutter / minis are too big.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Nojima
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:

*shrug* To each their own... I personally love the look of the board when it's cluttered up. I paint my minis, so that might add to it, but it's a plus for me.

Hell, I recently got the plastic gates pack and they add a good amount of board presence too. Looking forward to the madness. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starks
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For Thousand Forms, you could change it to: "Your enemies have 1 minute to decide how to collectively lose power equal to the total number of players. If they can't decide, you gain 1 less than that power". This was initially suggested by someone in the Variants section (IIRC), and the idea has grown on me over time.

Ghroth is a little trickier, but you could transform the results based on the number of players. For instance, in 3-player games, a roll of 4 becomes 3 (assuming there were actually 4 Fungi Areas); in a 5-player game, maybe a roll of 1 becomes 2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Morris
Canada
Kelowna
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
GaryB wrote:

Fair enough but probably also group think. More small battles will resolve that easily enough but I also totally get it. It can be scary to initiate a small battle knowing that retribution could be swift.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I think Groth is good regardless of how many players there are.
If you Groth successfully then it's set that X number of cultists will be eliminated. You can politic it too. People will generally work together to make sure Groth has maximum effect (unless Black Goat is winning, then they may want to spread out the pain, but not necessarily).

Thousand Forms is a little different. People can spread out the power they will lose just to keep it from you. But as Crawling Chaos you should almost always save Thousand Forms for the last possible moment, and ideally a few enemies will be out of power or really NEED their last few points of power to end the turn well. This will create some conflict and I've never noticed it feeling significantly different than a 3-player game.

I think that Cthulhu Wars plays best with 4-5. The game abilities always feel at their best under those conditions. Although I've played a few times with 3 and 6 and the spells certainly weren't broken, but the game can feel a bit too anemic with the former and too slow with the later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiago Gouveia
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davidryanandersson wrote:
Personally, I think Groth is good regardless of how many players there are.
If you Groth successfully then it's set that X number of cultists will be eliminated. You can politic it too. People will generally work together to make sure Groth has maximum effect (unless Black Goat is winning, then they may want to spread out the pain, but not necessarily).

Thousand Forms is a little different. People can spread out the power they will lose just to keep it from you. But as Crawling Chaos you should almost always save Thousand Forms for the last possible moment, and ideally a few enemies will be out of power or really NEED their last few points of power to end the turn well. This will create some conflict and I've never noticed it feeling significantly different than a 3-player game.

I think that Cthulhu Wars plays best with 4-5. The game abilities always feel at their best under those conditions. Although I've played a few times with 3 and 6 and the spells certainly weren't broken, but the game can feel a bit too anemic with the former and too slow with the later.

5 is surely my favourite count.

In small games CC has fewer options to activate harbinger (never saw CC winning without harbinger), this somehow compensate the more dangerous 1k forms.

Groth is the least usef spellbook not matter the player count. And a little stronger groth in low player count is compensate by a more predictable and less versatile Avatar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.