Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HU MAN BIN
Canada
flag msg tools
Thumbs must be erased once for all.
Either you give your point of view or you shut up.
Where are you driving this forum?
Are you aware that something is not working and you keep mum?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HU MAN BIN
Canada
flag msg tools
Here is my new game because I can not post new thread :

A game is played between 2 players on a squared board 16x16 with 256 cells.
At the set up the board is empty.
Each player owns 128 tokens of his color.
So 128 blue and 128 red.
Choose who plays first.
Blue player start the game. After his turn players alternate.
On his turn a player must drop 4 tokens such as the 4 are vertices of a square kxk.
All the k`s are allowed except k=2 (2x2 is prohibited).
The last player to make legal move wins the game.

Who can force the win? the blue or the red?
Mirroring strategy will not work so do not waste your time.
This game could be played using 2 pencils of different color and a printed board.

Enjoy!

Send your feedback! ( I know for sure that no one will post his feedback and I know without any doubt that some plagiarizers of boardgamegeek.com will soon find a tricky way to "copy-paste" it with "new package")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HU MAN BIN
Canada
flag msg tools
hu man bin wrote:
I have seen many new games.
More than 20 during the last 2 months.
So what now?

We write rules when it comes to designing games.
I suggest that we set rules when anyone presents new game.
First : in few words the idea or the concept behind the game.
Second : the steps taken to reach such design. How did the game designer fix some problems during the process. Because some are using tricks sometimes ingenious often "bad" tricks.
Third : what are the main mechanisms used in the game (explicitly). Those borrowed from other known games and those very original (no one knows all what was done anyway). The question here is that of honesty.
Fourth : What he expects from the game play? strategic game or tactical game? burning-brain or coll game? and so on
Fifth : Is he worried or not very satisfied about some aspects of the game?

We could add more and more rules.
In fact no one is forced to follow all those rules.
But in any case the game will be more transparent and consequently easy to understand and to fix.

If each one of you presents his game this way everyone will progress and have more understanding of game design (even if he is just a player not designer).

I personally could produce 5 to 10 new games a day. When I said new I know what I mean.

The main problem is not editing the game (like Rey). I do not care about that. I care more about what is behind the game. I will not use the word concept because many people use it without a full understanding of what drive the concept. Having an idea is not having a concept. Idea is just a "light" while the concept is a "sun". A full concept will allow to generate 10000 of games while an idea will help you design one or few games.
Dropping 3 or more stones at time is a concept. There are dozens of ways to drop 3 stones and each protocol of dropping 3 stones could be applied to many games (new or classical) having different goals.
I will post the concept of "slaloming" at the 2 levels (dropping and moving). You will see how this concept is "fertile" and many games could be produced based on that concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Moxham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb

Some readers might find it helpful or interesting to know how a game was arrived at, but it's a very bad idea to try and force that upon the inventor. Leave some room for people to be different, for goodness' sake, or you'll be in danger of actually becoming one of the Ayatollahs you're always inveighing against.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HU MAN BIN
Canada
flag msg tools
mocko wrote:

Some readers might find it helpful or interesting to know how a game was arrived at, but it's a very bad idea to try and force that upon the inventor. Leave some room for people to be different, for goodness' sake, or you'll be in danger of actually becoming one of the Ayatollahs you're always inveighing against.

I said that no one is forced to abide by those rules.
The more the game designer explains his process the more himself will understand his game.
That was suggestion to debate.
Ayatollah do not give you the opportunity to debate.
I dislike someone giving me orders on how I must behave.
I did not give orders to anyone.
I expected such comments anyway.
Publishing notes about your design is helpful for the game designer himself.
People must be different. But what I`m observing is that people are behaving the same way. The same wrong way.
I hope to see people different and behaving different ways.
People like to congratulate for whatever reason. You post a really crappy game people will thumb it up because you are "known" member.
People love to say "interesting game" without giving at least one reason. Interesting and that`s it while the game is full of flaws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.