Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
The Wysards Tower
United Kingdom
Chippenham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't really a review, so far as I have no structure and haven't played through even half of the stories yet, but I wanted to throw my opinion out there for those who're still awaiting their game.

It's good. Really good. It's not perfect, but it pretty much delivers on the promise. The overall mechanics feel a little clunky at first, and you'll be referring to the rulebook a LOT for conditions etc. but it doesn't take long to get a handle on things.

Production is serviceable to excellent, with only the Mystery Box being a real let down (and that was due to price, not the actual product itself). Some of the miniatures look cartoonish compared to others, but again, nothing we haven't seen. There isn't a mini that looked vastly different to the renders on the KS page, both for better or worse. Components are actually much better than expected, even the thin encounter tiles feel durable (if handled with care).

There is a lot of rules and mechanics, but gameplay is deceptively straightforward, with only a couple of mechanics used at any one time. From the couple of stories I've played, they are well written and give a real sense of choice. I'm not sure yet (and only time will tell) whether this is the appearance of choice, or actual choice, but for now they're an absolute blast. It feels as close to a board game RPG as I've experienced, but then I haven't played Gloomhaven or S&S.

Combat is a little too basic, but that's fine. This isn't a combat focused game, it's a mystery with combat. Actually, mystery doesn't really fit the theme either. You're not really solving anything (mechanic wise), you're following a pre-written story with branching paths that seem to lead in the same direction, just with alternative roads. Maybe a hunt would be a better tag. This might change in later stories, of course.

Anyone familiar with Touch of Evil will feel right at home with Folklore, it's the best comparison I can make. Coming from a couple who play ToE fairly regularly, Folklore feels like the next evolution of that, only European gothic as opposed to Colonial gothic. In fact, Folklore has all but replaced ToE in my heart. I'm not quite ready to take ToE off the shelf, but I can't see me playing it anytime soon. Not with Folklore staring at me.

I can see me spending a lot of time with the Adventure Creation Kit. This game begs to be expanded with user-made content, and I cannot wait to see BGG explode with custom adventures.

To sum up... I really like this game. It has flaws, but none that take away from this highly enjoyable and deeply thematic experience. If you're eagerly awaiting your copy to arrive, allow yourself to get a tiny bit excited for what the future brings. And if you're reading this as a fan of Touch of Evil... do yourself a favour and pick up Folklore as soon as you can.

Pete
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Trezise
United Kingdom
Rugby
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My hopes for this was Shadows of Brimstone meets A Touch of Evil - and it's delivered that PLUS more RPG elements! :)

Had a play of the first chapter last night with 4 players, was a blast
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

AWESOME write up Pete! Still waiting for mine to arrive here, but now I am more amped about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Torrens
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the write up! Your opinion sound exactly like what I was expecting of this game. It will look great and you will walk away from each game with fun stories to tell of your adventures! Still awaiting my copy, but I am really looking forward to painting and playing this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Wysards Tower
United Kingdom
Chippenham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like I said, it isn't perfect but dammit, it's a great experience. There's also a LOT of content in the box. Sure, the dice can be a harsh mistress, and combat is a little shallow, but I'm actually enjoying the fact combat is streamlined.

It's all about the theme. If you can get into the "hammer horror" atmosphere you'll have a blast. I love A Touch of Evil, but, I imagine once Flying Frog get their hands on this they'll be a little worried. I wouldn't be surprised if we see an anniversary version of ATOE soon, in the hopes of getting it out there before Folklore becomes widely available.

Once the big names start reviewing this (dice tower etc.) it'll blow up, not that it's available at retail yet. It's weird, there's nothing groundbreaking here, but everything is done to such a standard that it really works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul F
Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
flag msg tools
OKNOTOK
badge
This Is Not An Exit
mbmbmbmbmb
AdeptusAce wrote:
My hopes for this was Shadows of Brimstone meets A Touch of Evil - and it's delivered that PLUS more RPG elements!

Had a play of the first chapter last night with 4 players, was a blast
I played a friends' copy for the first time today. Three of us set aside a couple of hours, but ended up doing a 9 hour marathon, and we could have happily continued if real life hadn't got in the way. It was just so much fun. Reminded me of those all-day RPG sessions that I used to enjoy years ago...

I had to quote you, as "Shadows of Brimstone meets A Touch of Evil" was, word-for-word, how I described it, half way through our session. That's my feelings exactly. It's the best of both those worlds. The atmosphere of A Touch of Evil, with the character development and sandbox approach of Brimstone, and mechanics somewhere in between.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thaddeus MacTaggart
Netherlands
Almere
flag msg tools
badge
Blood Rage fan - Raven Clan - FOR THE GLORY!
mbmbmbmbmb
petewys3 wrote:
Combat is a little too basic, but that's fine. This isn't a combat focused game, it's a mystery with combat. Actually, mystery doesn't really fit the theme either. You're not really solving anything (mechanic wise), you're following a pre-written story with branching paths that seem to lead in the same direction, just with alternative roads. Maybe a hunt would be a better tag.
I was specifically anxious if the d100 mechanic would hold up as a decent battle mechanism.

Apparently it doesn't really ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Blickley
United States
Brockton
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petewys3 wrote:
And if you're reading this as a fan of Touch of Evil... do yourself a favour and pick up Folklore as soon as you can.
Well that sold me. I love me some ToE. This is officially on my radar!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Case
msg tools
How replayable is the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls