Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Fallen» Forums » General

Subject: What should I do... Unopened (essentially) Kickstarter edition of Fallen. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Darcy Williams
msg tools
A few mates and I (who each have a copy) were going to play a game over new years for our annual catch-up (high school mates, now all in our late 30's) - and I wanted to see if there was anything new. Very gutted to find out the whole thing has fallen over! I'm really glad our addon/expansion packs turned up - as I thought that wasn't going to happen given how late they were.

When I signed up for the original campaign, I bought four copies. Two for mates, and two for me. My extra copy is still sitting in its original shipping box. I had to slit open the plastic packaging to check all the story cards are there (as there was a problem with some games going out with incorrect cards). Tokens are still un-punched, most cards are still wrapped... everything's brand-new. All KS extras included. I even have both unopened expansions - as I never ran out of material on the 'base' KS version. My personal copy has the four adventure packs, but I didn't buy them as spares. So this is only relating to the original KS box

Should I consider selling this while people still know what it is, or hang on to it for a few or more years? I don't need the money, so there's no rush in that regard. More a query around current trends... hang on to it expecting rarity to increase, or just flick it off now since I don't need it (and it takes up valuable game-cupboard space).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm kind of like you. I didn't do the Kickstarter, but bought the game as well as the 2 expansions later. I was one of the lucky to receive the expansions before the publisher folded.

I also haven't opened anything. I originally bought it so I could coax my daughter into playing board games with me. I thought she would enjoy the light role playing aspect. It was a different type of game, and I was hoping it would nudge her into the hobby.

By the time I received everything, she was finishing high school and getting ready for college. I realized I wouldn't have played more than a few times before she left, so I let it go.

But---

this game is still unique. I am surprised other publishers haven't developed games like it. I do have a strong feeling someone, maybe a few years from now will create a game system like it, and will point to Fallen as their inspiration.

I believe Fallen will rise in value for a number of years. It most certainly won't fall in value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wister wrote:
It most certainly won't fall in value.

I do not agree. As I see it the demand will only drop from this point. The number of people who learn about the game will be negligible since it is no longer available. And it was not widely spread enough to be some sort of "classic".

On the other hand, people will loose interest and move on (not me though, but some people will).

The price as it is now will exist for a short while and then it will start to drop (if it did not drop already).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Williams
msg tools
Michael_Olsen wrote:
Wister wrote:
It most certainly won't fall in value.

I do not agree. As I see it the demand will only drop from this point. The number of people who learn about the game will be negligible since it is no longer available. And it was not widely spread enough to be some sort of "classic".

Yep, I can definitely see both sides to this... I've tried to get my kids in to games early, and now they're reading it really opens things up. Maybe I just hang on to it, screw the resale, and if my son/daughter want it in 15-20 years... then they can have their own copy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Tang

Fresno
California
msg tools
You have no idea if your son or daughter will want this, plus in 15 to 20 years there will be way more games.

The time to sell is right after christmas on ebay for general products. Thats when ppl get giftcards to spend. For a special item like this its recognition and demand will probably go down over decades. There are likely people who want to buy it now. Sell it at this time to the highest bidder, then put that money into bitcoin. Thank me 15 to 20 years from now when ur kids get ur bitcoin inheritance.

Disclaimer this is not financial advice lolz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard to say whether the price will remain high or not. The kickstarter version was worth the most shortly after it delivered, then dropped when they released more to sell on their website. I think it's bounced back up in price. The expansions are likely still worth quite a bit.

With that being said, if anyone here is feeling generous, I'd love to pick up the expansions at a non-inflated rate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.